What are good pork substitutes for making gumbo?

So, gumbo is I've of these dishes that I've never had because it often contains pork in some capacity. I'm Muslim, and because pork is not halal, I wouldn't not eat it. I'm planning on making some gumbo myself at home. I've found a few recipes online that seem good, but most of them contain pork. Any ideas about a good substitute for that?

Bonus: Is it possible to make vegetarian gumbo?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• Seafood gumbo is good. Duck gumbo is also a good option. Really, all you have to do is leave out the sausage or you could replace the pork stuff with another white meat, like chicken. If you want vegetarian gumbo, just don’t add the meat. The key to good gumbo is the roux. Make a good roux and it should turn out fine.

Most Helpful Guy

• Now, I'm not a Muslim but I was vegetarian for years and when I stopped I was still on the edge with some meat, like pork, but I'd say beef would be a good substitute, shrimp crab oysters (I have no idea if that's halal) are also common in gumbo. Now, as for vegetarian I'm not sure. You might be able to use the mycoprotein based veggie meats, but you may have to tweak the spices because most veggie meat will soak up the spices a lot more then real meat. Same with tofu, but if you fried some tofu it would make a great replacement and it wouldn't soak up the spices as much.