Do you tip on a to go order?

There was a waitress that had a 750 dollar order and she took to social media to complain that they didn't give her a tip.
She ended up fired and the people that had that huge order I guess made it right?
Anyway, question is do you tip on to go orders? And if so, do you tip a lesser percentage since you're not spending a hour or more in the restaurant?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• I've at least never HEARD of tipping a to go order. Maybe it's a thing but I've never heard of it. At the same time the idea that tips are required and at that are supposed to be "20%" of the cost of the meal seems a little ridiculous. Is that just me? The idea that tips are seen now as some sort of required dining etiquette rather than something earned through outstanding service, and that they are to be some sort of tax on the meal rather than a quantity dependent on the quality of the server seems as though they've defeated the whole point of tipping, at least as it was intended originally.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't tip the owner, with exceptions
    Don't tip to-go or drive-thru UNLESS it's a large amount, lots of trouble... ergo most everyone would consider $750 USD to be a huge trouble, ergo some sort of tip, although less than traditional sit-down being served 15-20% of course.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• I would not tip on a to-go order.
    More than that?
    I read the story, about how much work this order was for her, and everything, and...
    having worked in a kitchen in a restaurant, I have absolutely no sympathy.

I worked 20 hours a week in a steak house kitchen (not an applebees, I mean a legit steak house), and made a whole $10.50 an hour.
    A 20 hour work week was $210, before taxes.

Wait staff can be paid under minimum wage, by law, because they can expect tip money. In a 5 hour shift, most members of the wait staff were known to openly bitch and complain if they got under $150 in tips on a decently busy shift.
    So, working four 5 hour shifts, the same as me, for a total (taxable income) of $140 at 7 an hour, the wait staff could, on a bad week, place their bets on a MINIMUM of $300 extra, untaxed income, for the same fucking hours I worked...
    And on a BUSY week with good tippers? They could see as much as $800
    While I made all the fucking food. For $10.50, plus... nothing. Not even a free meal.

I made the food. In a steakhouse. And they would not give me more hours. and hours shifted week to week so I could not get a second job, and I was barely making rent while living with room mates...
    And every 6 months, some of them could go to Vegas, or take a cruise trip, etc. They could afford too.

Yeah, she had one day where she missed out on some tables and their tips because she put a big order together.
    I will bet you a years wages that she STILL brought in more money that week, most of it untaxed, than any single person working back in the kitchen who actually made the food. I would wager her income is, after tips, at LEAST twice what the lowest paid member of kitchen staff is paid... even if, on the company books, she makes $5 an hour less than him.

I feel no sympathy for her. And I don't tip a to-go. Wait staff can earn their tips at the tables.

1|0
    0|0
  • We wouldn't really tip on a to go order, no. Over here, you tip for a sit down meal (10% is normal), but not really for much else - perhaps £1 for the barber.

The logic would be what exactly are the waitresses doing for that tip?

1|0
    0|0
  • I use tips to round up numbers or make them look interesting. For example: Let's say I'm charged $10.57. A standard tip of %12.5 will push it up to $11.89. So, just both for fun and out of generosity, I'll add 45¢ just to make it $12.34. Get it? 1 2 3 4? Buahahahaha!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I'm not a fan of the tipping system at all. I'll do it for table servers assuming I'm getting decent service.
    But for to go? What happens without the tip? You don't get your food? Isn't that what the price is for?

0|0
    0|0
  • I tip based on service. I don't tip someone at a fast food place, so why would I tip someone if I pick up food?
    The better my waiter or waitress does, the bigger tip I give.
    People who deliver. I used to rip them 100% of the time. They had to go out of their way, knock on my door, and collect my money. They deserve it for me being a lazy ass.
    Now that delivery charges are tacked on to orders, I some times forget. I feel bad when I forget, but now it's not in my opinion required anymore. (If the person was late, I might not tip by choice)

1|0
    0|0
  • I saw this story about the worker at the Outback Steakhouse. I think what she did was completely wrong taking to social media to complain about it.

That said, yes.. I do tip on to-go orders. Most of the people working the to-go counters are actually servers that just pulled the to-go shift. They took my order, the prepared it and delivered it to me when I arrived. Not much else different except for not refilling my drinks or bringing extra items that I may need while seated in the restaurant.

They are performing a service and I do think they deserve a tip for providing that service to you. I do tip a slightly lesser percentage for to-go orders because I am not spending the extra time there.

1|0
    0|0
  • Here in Belgium we rarely do it, the service is included.
    The only thing we do is round up to the next euro. It's not expected here to tip.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea I do. I sometimes do Togo orders at my restaurant and while I don't expect the same percent as servers, anything I get is very appreciated.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't mean to be a bitch, truly. So please don't take it that way. I'm curious and to be honest until this I didn't know this was a thing. Feel like a total asshole now. 😞
      But why do you deserve as much as a server that's doing more running and "work" on an order that's in store vs a to go order?
      Again, not trying to be a bitch just curious.

• I don't lol. Think of it this way, server has 4 tables in one hour, makes (if their tables are nice enough) at least 15,% on every order. Average check? Let's say $50 for the sake of easy numbers. That is $32 in one hour with 4 tables. On Togo, I could easy get anywhere from 10-20 guests depending on how busy it is. Now I don't expect 15% because I get paid hourly, but if each guest leaves me $1 than I can walk away with gas money, maybe enough to buy a meal on the way home, or even just some beer money.

• I wouldn't for just simply handing me the food, just as most people wouldn't want to tip at Burger King for handing you the food.

0|0
    0|0
  • On a normal to go order, I typically don't tip. If it's a very large order or a lot of special orders, I'll tip but at a lower percentage.

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't have to but if good to because they would feel good and treat you like a king/ queen the next time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, only the required 12.5% when staying at a restaurant.

0|0
    0|0
  • I give a small tip but not too much i usually tip about a $1.00

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends how much time I spend.. I normally tip 10 or like 15$

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have to pick it up then why would you? They didn't do anything

0|0
    0|0
  • No. You tip for service, that you don't receive on a to go order

0|0
    0|0
  • No. They're not servicing me other than moving my food from kitchen to cash register

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. We do

0|0
    0|0
  • Never

0|0
    0|0
  • Not all the time

0|0
    0|0
  • Never

0|0
    0|0
  • No I only tip when I'm served at the restaraunt

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never tipped on a to go order.

0|0
    0|0
  • Always

0|0
    0|0
  • 750 dollars hell wow

0|0
    0|0
  • Tipping isn't common in Australia

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• And who exactly do I tip? I called the order in then walked in & picked it up. All they did was take my money. It seems I did most of the work I should tip myself maybe.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do not tip ANYONE for doing their job. No one tips me for my research! Instead, waitresses etc. should get a proper wage!

0|0
    0|0
  • I was a bartender for years so I usually give pretty huge tips when I'm out tho I don't tip as much I still tip some, I think the people that order 750 dollars worth of food is an absolute asshole for not leaving a tip I don't give a shit if they didn't stay it was still work and she still served them to an extent, but I also think that was stupid thing for the waitress to do considering it doesn't matter what happens with your tip you make your place of business look bad when you go on social media and complain abo ut customers so I probably would have fired her too, complain to your coworkers or even your boss not over social media

0|0
    0|0
  • Tipping isn't common where I live so no.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes