Do you like to experiment cook or do you like to follow recipes exactly?

I’m kinda in between. I mess with recipes to try and put a spin on it. I was trying to make a strawberry cookie so I used a nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe and substituted strawberry extract in place of vanilla extract and chopped strawberries in place of chocolate chips. It turned out to have a consistency of a pancake / muffin.Do you like to experiment cook or do you like to follow recipes exactly?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Free styling cooking is my thing for the last 7 years, am a chef ;) as a beginners always follow the recipe till you feel confident and add what ever you think might work and taste it. Never be afraid! it's just food

1|0
    0|0
    • 🙂Great advice. Lol I’ve had some cooking disasters. I put pin nuts in cookie dough once—That was awful so I’m more on the follow a recipe side

• See what you did there is perfect! how you may ask! You made your own mistake and you learned from it and that is perfection for me. I check recipes just for some quick ideas, i don't do exactly as it says.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll follow the recipe the first couple times, just to get the hang of it, but then I tend to branch out and experiment

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• I like to experiment! Ironically I'm eating my latest experiment ; sautéed swai with spinach-garlic rice 🍽

This is why I don't like baking as much; when it comes to cooking I like to freestyle! 🙌🏾

1|0
    0|0
  • Cooking is a science. An understanding. The ability to cook gourmet foods is to understand fully how each concept of the cooking process, the ingredients and how they go together to create different senses of Umami. All of this combined with a creative mind and ideas, anyone can create a gourmet dinner with no need for a pre written directory of steps.

I have not had a recipe randomly thought up fail yet.

So I definitely experiment but I do it knowing the next end results.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm probably in-between too whenever I do it.. LOL..

1|0
    0|0
  • I follow the instructions adding, subtracting or substituting here and there as desire merits.

1|0
    0|0
  • Normally i follow the recipes, but I'll check YouTube on ways to make it a little better.

1|0
    0|0
  • Experiment with the recipe

0|0
    0|0
  • experimentation rules

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 14

• I love to experience if I feel safe doing so.
    Somethings that I’ve never done I would rather try to follow the whole receipt. It’s sucks sometimes because I don’t have the ingredients and I actually hate it. 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • My mum could take an award for the best freestyling cooker in the world. But for me on the other hand, if I did that I would poison everyone. ( wish kinda happened one day nearly, when my little brother tried a soup I maid that led him to the hospital. But he is alright now)

I actually like to follow recipes because it's easier and saves a lot of my time. But it tastes every single time different tho, wish really confuses me.

1|0
    0|0
  • That’s cool. My mom does that all the time and it actually makes the recipe better most of the time since different people have different preferences in their food. It is hard to make a universal recipe that everyone likes. She also has some way of turning leftovers into a different dish/use them in a recipe for another dish. They never taste bad and you don’t tire of eating the same thing two nights in a row.

0|0
    0|0
    • I actually like to do both.. I intent to go to cooking school after I graduate from HS.. I just always liked to cook and bake..
      I remember baking brownies at age 9 being it only from Betty Crocker boxed brownies lol but i really liked it... So hopefully I'll become a Chef some day. So Yeah!!!🎂

• Sometimes i like to follow the recipes if there's someone with me or if I'm starving,, but trying to get a new to make this meal is a good idea and fun

1|0
    0|0
  • If I'm following a recipe I usually follow it perfectly unless there are ingredients I don't like or don't have. But if I'm just cooking, I might throw things together and experiment a little.

1|0
    0|0
  • I preferably like to follow recipes because I know it would turn out good and me making my own choices with food wouldn’t be great. I also don’t want to be disappointed with experimenting

0|0
    0|0
  • WELL I can't cook for shit so I have to follow the recipes lol

1|0
    0|0
  • The fresh strawberries would've contained too much moister.
    You could press them in some toweling first.

0|0
    0|0
  • I definitely experiment. But I loveee breakfast foods, lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Experiment!

0|0
    0|0
  • Both but I usually experiment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both

1|0
    0|0
  • i can only boil water