Do you ever remember something tasting different than it does in the present?

Today we made soup for lunch. I have vivid memories of dipping delicious cheese and ham sandwiches in creamy bean and bacon soup. The cheese getting warm and gooey. The bread soaking up the soup and making the sandwich warm bite by bite. The delicious base and beans leftover in the bowl.
Do you ever remember something tasting different than it does in the present?That experience was not realized. The soup was bland with no depth and tasted watery. It didn’t suffuse the beans and sandwich. It was meal, but not what I expected.

Has this ever happened to you though? You were really looking forward to a good meal and then it turned out to be less fulfilling than you expected?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• I do remember now Pepsi having a more bitter taste than it used to. Coke is still the sweetest soda.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't have it so much with entire meals but I there are certain food items I used to like much more than I do now. For example when I was a child, I used to love eating beetroots. My mom made them often as a (cold) salad. I remember how they tasted slightly sweet and just... very unique. Over the years, I lost my liking for beetroots for some reason. In fact, just last weekend I visited my parents for dinner and my mom had prepared some beetroot salad and I only had a little bit for politeness' sake. I don't know why but it's just not my thing anymore.

But I've also made the opposite experience. For example I remember one winter day in first grade elementary school where my teacher brought some warm, fried chestnuts to school (something they sell here at every corner during fall/winter). Most people, including most children, like them. So, it was a big surprise for my teacher that I rejected them (all the kids were fighting over them). She made me try some anyway and I clearly remember being disgusted by the taste.
    Much later, as an adult, I was strolling through the city with my wife and I bought some warm chestnuts for her because she really likes them. Just out of a random, spontaneous feeling, I grabbed one of them from her bag and tasted it - and it turned out to be very good. It tasted nothing like the one in my memory... much better. Since then, I like them quite a lot, also as sides for whole meals (during fall especially).

1|0
    0|0
  • There's a restaurant near Solvang, a quaint town in Southern California that resembles Denmark. It's called Pea Soup Andersens. I remember the food being quite good there in my childhood. When I went there about 15 years ago the food wasn't very good, and frankly the place was just like a coffee shop.

I still visit there often (I love the Santa Ynez Valley), and I still eat at Pea Soup Andersens for nostalgic reasons, but the food is overpriced and not particularly good.

1|0
    0|0
    • How annoying for you! If people are going to charge a lot it should at least be good

• Yes! there are quite a few things that used to have different formulations in them that made them taste different to how they are today. We have these things called Fish Fingers in the UK (breaded sticks of cod) and they used to be so nice... now they are like 50% cod and the rest is some other random fish they mashed together... revolting.

1|0
    0|0
  • That has absolutely happened to me. Especially when. I used to eat fast food. But even home cooking doesn't always turn out quite how it should.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes, that happens to me a lot.
    by the way i hate your question, because its making me hungry

1|0
    0|0
  • Your tastebuds change every 7-10 years. Same thing with your allergies changing every 7-10 years

1|0
    0|0
    • That’s interesting! I’d like to file for allergies to be gone

• Well they don't instantly change after 7-10 years but they change over time. Slowly which is why sometimes meal that you make 1 month will taste different the next month even though you don't change the recipe.

• Hmm. That’s really cool!

• You may have bungled up the recipe.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Bahaha absolutely! Our pallate constantly changes as we get older or we develop a more complex pallate as we immerse ourselves into various kinds of food. Like I once had a massive sweet tooth where I could eat a whole milk chocolate bar... now I opt for dark chocolate and only eat a piece or two at a time. I once hated raw broccoli and bell peppers, but after constantly trying to set an example of a healthy snacker to my niece, I've built a pallate for both veggies lol.

1|0
    0|0
    • That’s so crazy!! I’m glad it’s working out well for you though!

• i do not remember.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes