Is it okay to take your roommate's food, either from the fridge or pantry?

Is it okay to take your roommate's food, either from the fridge or pantry?Image Source : Wikimedia
#Food #Roommate
  • Nope — I prefer a clear division of all pantry items. Zero exceptions.
    Vote A
  • I'm fine with it if it's a basic ingredient like olive oil or salt.
    Vote B
  • Sure, they can have the occasional apple or slice of toast.
    Vote C
  • All my food is up for grabs!
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Not unless we've already agreed that it's okay no. For my roommate and I stuff like spices was fair game, we would leave them on the counter with the sole intent being for both of us to use them whenever.

Basically everything else was more than likely fine but we'd still ask first. The stuff that was absolutely out of the question for sharing was in the corner of the pantry. We took our stuff from there and knew damn well the other person's basically didn't exist as far as we were concerned.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• My food is trapped (some not all) so no one touches it. Last time someone did they spent the next three days puking and having explosive diarrhea. Anything I am willing to share I stick a label *help yourself* onto it. Good luck and best regards

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• With any roommate I have ever had it has always been a it depends sort of situation, like if I had milk and butter and they needed some to make macaroni, or if I wanted to make a sandwich and needed 2 slices of bread we never bothered asking. As far as actual food goes all of us just bought our own so we really didn't need to ask, and you never ever eat someone's left overs they brought home from a restaurant! Lol I had this one person who would do that and it would piss me off to no end

0|1
    0|0
  • Basic stuff like salt maybe but more expensive stuff should really be asked about beforehand unless you're splitting the cost of the food.

2|1
    0|0
  • If they ask for permission, it's fine. But taking something without asking is not okay.

0|1
    0|0
  • Me and my roommates used to share everything lol anything was up for grabs

0|1
    0|0
  • No only if they say it’s okay but don’t take without asking

0|1
    0|0
  • I probably wouldn't mind. Also I am a kind person so

0|1
    0|0
  • No unless you've asked and were given permission to do so.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t mind as long as they tell me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Share and share alike.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is not ok

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as you let them know it's okay.

0|1
    0|0
  • All my food is up for grabs

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Only if you've an agreement on it. The last time I had roommates we shared basic things like oil, salt, pepper, spices, ketchup etc., but actual foods were your own.

0|2
    0|0
    • Don't know why more people don't think like us. Just don't use them in excess hey?

• If you're starving and it's late at night you don't feel like driving out to get Taco Bell and then go ahead but you'll probably have to return the favor one day

0|1
    0|0
  • Pretty much all up for grabs but you take something and use it up must replace it or won't be using it again

0|1
    0|0
  • There is always things you can share them and some you can't

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't take anything without asking them first.

0|1
    0|0
  • Always ask I say. Wouldn't want it taken from you right?

0|1
    0|0
  • My cat says, it's ok ;)

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as they ask first and aren’t greedy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not without asking, no

0|1
    0|0
  • Thats not OK. Roomies 101

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Shit no!

0|1
    0|0
  • All my food is up for grabs!