Do you season (add salt and pepper) to your food while cooking?

I grew up in a house where nothing was salted/seasoned. My mum grew up without salt because her dad had to have a low sodium diet. When you grow up with salt in the veg water/pasta water, on the meat, etc, you find it really noticeable when it’s there.

I very rarely add salt while cooking. My exceptions are roast potatoes and pork skin.

What about you?
  • Yes I do
    Vote A
  • No I don’t
    Vote B
  • I don’t cook
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted no, for the things you were on about. Veg, potatoes, that's too much salt and I feel like it negates the health benefits of the veg. I don't even put salt on meat anymore, a little pepper. Thing is coriander and especially oregano are incredibly healthy, much better. I recently tried oregano in stew but accidentally put in more than I intended. Did not regret it for long because it tasted amazing.

0|0
    0|0
    • I class that as herbs not seasoning.

• I'm pretty sure herbs and spices are seasoning where I'm from in the UK, maybe it's different for you.

• I’m from the UK as well. It’s just because recipes/tv shows/ etc they say “season it” and they only ever seem to add salt and pepper so I just assumed that’s what seasoning meant.

Most Helpful Girl

• I’m actually low in salt so I try to add it to as many things as I can and frequently put it on the table with dinner XD

This is a pepper free house though

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• The secret to a dish is the seasoning. What a tragic upbringing that is.

0|0
    0|0
    • I dislike pepper and my mum grew up without salt because her dad had a heart attack young. Also the UK had this thing called rationing. The US like to say they saved ww2 singlehandedly but they are liars!
      Yes. Tragic not to have salt to save a life.

• The UK owes US their allegiance

• There's usually more than enough salt in the ingredients already. I prefer to add salt after the food is done because then whoever is eating the food can salt it to their own taste. I will add other spices though, depending on what it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • If my girl/lady/wife ever did that, i'd just always have seasoning on the side. But if she was a crappy person AND didn't season... yea, i'd just leave the door open.

0|0
    0|0
    • I’m not your personal chef and I’ve given my reasonings why I cook without it.

Fuck off with your attitude. No doubt you would bitch if she didn’t make your dinner in a French maids outfit too.

• Show All
    • Lol I worked as a chef for several years. If I expected *name* to cook it’s because I wanted them to cook not just walk around he kitchen.

You are full of bullshit mate.

• Don't think you are getting the point here homes... i don't expect anything from her. don't expect anything positive from any woman matter of fact.
      I said i was a chef... i'd happily cook for my girl... im saying that if she is the kind that cooks without seasoning... im not too happy about that, BUT, i'd just have seasoning on the side to even things out... if she's a great girl and i like her. I mean, i'd tell her id like some salt in the damn thing.. but if for some reason she doesn't, then it falls back on if she's worth the headache.
      If i enjoy her company.. i'd endure the bland food. If she has the same Nasty attitude as you... i'd open the door...

• If your food is seasoned properly before or during cooking it shouldn't taste salty, the correct amount of salt should only enhance the natural flavor of the food. Brining poultry or pork prior to cooking seasons the meat, and helps to retain moisture in the meat throughout the cooking process. Brining adds less then 10% of your required daily sodium intake.

0|0
    0|0
  • I rarely put salt but I do seasoning to my food such as pepper, adobo seasoning, etc.

I add a bit but not a lot. I like my food to smell good and taste good so when you step in my house you’re like ooooh what is you making 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s better to season on the plate, seasoning while cooking is a futile excercise unless you’re doing it to get a slight crust or for the juices of a sauce.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah pasta boiled in non salted water is absolutely tasteless, and with meats I just do it I don't know why

1|0
    0|0
  • Why wouldn't you? Very few foods taste better or don't benefit from seasoning. It's a really small thing you do that can really elevate a dish to the next level

0|0
    0|0
    • When you live without salt, you find salt added very noticeable.

• Show All
    • Exactly. I’ve grown up with almost no salt so I notice it when it’s there. I watch these pro chefs sprinkle salt like there is no tomorrow (and at their rate there won’t be!). I’ve never salted veg, never salted water, etc. I admit I use salted butter but I never add salt if I used salted butter.

• With some foods like steak, it's necessary to salt a lot because you lose a lot of the seasoning sometimes when you cook it. A little salt isn't gonna kill you, but it's definitely something a lot of people tend to abuse

• I add a lot if pepper and a lot of it. I also like salt, and too much so.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t really put salt on anything, but I do like to add an whatever spices/seasonings hump out at me

0|0
    0|0
  • People always season their food. However in your case it's totally understandable if you don't season it because you grow up on that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but not like normal people do. I like less spiced food :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Mostly pepper, I don't put slat on much as most things are salty enough already. in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • A life without salt sounds horrible.

0|0
    0|0
    • My dad came from a family that salted and adapted, and preferred, a salt free life.

It’s honestly not that bad. I add salt to chips (fries to you) but I rarely salt when cooking. I’ve cooked for keen seasoner-people and they liked my food. When I said I don’t season they were taken aback

• not pepper, but salt yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't cook, but my mom seasons everything nicely

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do

0|0
    0|0
  • You need seasoning

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• Yes i add salt and pepper to some things. Not everything

0|0
    0|0
  • I add salt when I feel like it. I don't really like other spices.

0|0
    0|0
  • I add a bunch of different seasonings.. it all depends on what I'm cooking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course. I hate it when food isn't salted properly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I season like a mutha fucka. But also well balanced so that you're not tasting mainly powder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most times yes I do at seasoning while cooking. Very little salt though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I add salt to pretty much everything. I guess I'm a typical American

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I put it on everything