Does anybody here abstain from alcohol?

I don't drink at all, unless I'm sick and need some whiskey. I like alcohol in my food but not as a beverage.
Updates:
I'm surprised at the number of non-drinkers on GAG.
I wasn't expecting this many responses. I appreciate everybody's answers.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• He'll no I love drinking, i don't get stupid drunk but my dad allowed me and my brother to drink from a young age and we always had beer in the house, i have no problem with it as long as you don't act like an ass while drinking and you don't drive drunk.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't drink and I have never drunk.

I don't understand why anyone would want to make themselves deliberately stupider and less self-controlled for an evening. I don't understand why you'd pay heavily to do that and tolerate a hangover the next day. And I don't understand why you'd shorten your lifespan and give yourself liver problems in order to do all of these things.

I try to avoid needing alcohol by not doing things I regret, and by proactively solving my problems so that I don't need to drink them away.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• I drink alcohol but not very often. I like the taste but i don't think its worth the money they charge. If it was 40 - 60% cheaper I'd probably be drinking every day. As of now I drink once or twice a month and when I say drink I mean half a glass of wine or 1/4 a glass of wine

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never had and don't plan on it. Known too many people who ruined their lives with it and it just doesn't seem any great either.

I am aware it does not ruin the lives of everyone who touches it but I just associate it with bad things. Like I'm just reminded od them, and that makes me dislike it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink on rare occassions, I know how to have fun without drinking so its not something I have to do or want to do

0|1
    0|0
  • I do. As well as prescriptions and smoking.

0|1
    0|0
  • I abstain totally between glasses of gin or white wine!

0|1
    0|0
  • Then you're lying to yourself lol but it's not so good for the health when you drink too much so it's a good lie

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never had alcohol before and I'm not planning on doing it either. I try to be as healthy as I can.

0|0
    0|1
    • Small amounts of alcohol are good for you.

• Show All
    • It is actually but okay, just scoff.

• Why are you talking with that little boy?

• I don't drink and I don't see myself drinking much even when I'm legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Me! I've drank alcohol ( unless you count Kumbucha hehe)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I did not just because I'm pregnant I just don't drink

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink at all and I'm not interested in it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I regularly have my sober phases.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yup I never have any alcohol

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a drinker.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope no more drinking for me

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m not giving it up ever cause it’s my industry

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep. I don't drink anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 50

• After all the stories and experiences I've seen from people who consume alcohol as a beverage too often, they became quicker to anger, more likely to be depressed and attempt insane activities I'd never thought of someone doing. I have an addictive personality so I stay away from addictives that can inflict harm to me in the long run such as gambling, drinking as you mentioned, smoking, overspending, e. t. c. In food though, it can add quite a pinch to it and that's fine in moderation!

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm an acoholic & I can't drink one because that's damn near impossible for me to do so! It always turns out bad weather it takes days, weeks, or months something bad always eventually happens. I've drank all the fun out of it years ago really. So yes I personally don't drink in my best of times.

0|1
    0|0
    • How long have you been sober?

• Show All
    • This is true...

• Yeah I got an awesome sponsor and I'm building a little Network of guys so it's going okay thanks man I will do for sure means a lot

• Unless you are sick and need some whiskey LOL nigga drinking alcohol when sick doesn't help with anything that is an old myth, it just feels good, it's actually an immuno suppressant. I quit half a year ago, cold turkey, had 2 beers in the last 6 months

0|0
    0|0
    • It does help with a cough because it relaxes your throat muscles but that's about all it helps for any sort of medical purposes.

• Show All
    • That is true goochbreaker but people are still going to take cough suppressants or eat cough drops, to me I might as well have a drink to stop my cough especially if it's the after the cold goes away dry coughs because to me those are the most miserable

• @cflr0227 just because everyone else wants to be a retard doesn't mean you have to as well. There was a time where people would take heroine for a cough, now it's just codeine, but both of them are opiates and do essentially the same thing, alcohol is more of an immunosuppressant than those though which is why cough drops don't have alcohol in them.

• I wouldn't say that I abstain from alcohol, but I still don't drink nor see the appeal. I don't smoke either. I'm not saying that I won't do any of these things in the near future, but right now I don't pursue these activities because I don't see the appeal of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • It messes up my running and workouts. It lowers your metabolism and puts on fattttttttt. I love a good dark beer or a Merlot, but not anymore.

1|1
    0|0
    • Even a drink a night doesn't interfere like that, if you're 'sober' before you go to sleep.

• Show All
    • Yah, more like a swig or two for you. I am similar. I get a nice buzz from a single drink, and oftenly can't finish one. On top of that, my body does not desire it.

• @Ahsthen Yes-I have lost any tolerance to it.

• I don't drink a lot, but I'm not consciously abstaining from it. I usually just don't feel like it and don't have the time. But I won't say no to a glass of wine or a beer or a shot in the right setting

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really drink, maybe once in a blue moon and small amounts. Most alcoholic drinks don't taste very nice, and I dislike their effects.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink. Lol, I've been drinking tonight. I enjoy the taste of beer or a good cognac. I also enjoy a good drink. However, I didn't start drinking untill I was 23. And now i barely drink once a mounth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never had an interest, still don't, so I don't drink.

Unless I'm offered vodka from a Russian, never had vodka but it's rude to refuse it in their culture.

0|0
    0|0
  • Used to drink a lot, first time I got drunk I was 12. I find it very difficult to stop at one drink so I don't drink at all any more.

0|1
    0|0
  • I abstain from drinking alcohol and have never had a beer in my life. I don't like the idea of hangovers, alcohol is expensive in general, I don't like to be less aware of my surroundings or less restrained around others in case I turn violent or say something I regret, and plus I don't like the idea of drinking before or in clubs or pubs makes you happier and enjoy yourself more, which is heavily supported by my flatmates and class. I don't need alcohol to have a good time and I rarely go to pubs anyway and if I do, I get a Coca Cola. I don't go clubbing either, so I have no use for alcohol. Just my own outlook anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being a Muslim, I have never sipped a drop of alcohol all my life (except when you have that in NyQuil like medicine). But I don't "drink" NyQuil 😀😀😀

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink that often mainly because I just don't really like the taste. I might have 1, maybe 2, at a time just to feel the buzz cuz it helps me relax when I'm stressed out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup. I used to have a drinking problem, would drink too much too often.

I haven’t drank for 2 months. Don’t plan on it anytime soon.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can count on one hand the number of alcoholic beverages I've had, and then, never enough to get drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never been interested in alcohol. I prefer my mind to stay sharp, plus it tastes & smells terrible to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love a drink but haven’t had alcohol for 8 years (since my kids were born) .. just because it’s not responsible.. and my Dad was an alcoholic

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink at all, not worth some of the impacts it has on your body, and the idea of loosing control due to alcohol doesn't appeal to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't abstain from alcohol cause I'm not a boring loser. I'm not surprised that there's people on here who abstain from alcohol

0|0
    1|0
  • A grapefruit will 14 years when I was younger 18 pack a day drinking deal and I quit Quitman myself half a gallon milk shake drink to mix alcohol with

0|0
    0|0
  • I do. I don't want to know what I'm like when I'm drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really drink anymore. I might have a single glass but i dont drink anymore to get drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't abstain, alcohol just doesn't taste good.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say I abstain but I just never craved alcohol so I don't drink at all

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm of Irish heritage, so it's kind of not allowed to do that... sorry.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink at all. I don't understand the interest of this

0|0
    0|0
  • My friend does. He used to be close ti alcoholic. He is 2 abd a half months sober now

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink that much, maybe once every month, but when I drink, I drink like a hole in the ground

0|0
    0|0
  • I very rarely drink. None of it appeals to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, I never drink. Never!

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes