Would vegans and vegetarians eat bugs?

http://www.bugsfeed.com/film

I'm kind of torn about categories here, because I'm largely interested in responses from people who choose veganism based on moral grounds. If you're a vegan, do you consider killing insects for food inhumane? Obviously, you don't feel bad about killing plants for food. So where do you draw the line, personally?
Supposedly this is a fast growing concept. Therefore, I am generally interested in everyone's thoughts and feelings on eating insects.Would vegans and vegetarians eat bugs??

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I’m a vegetarian. I don’t think anyone should eat buys. We should step on them. Bugs are assholes.

2|3
    1|1
    • So, eating bugs is more respectful than squashing them?

• Show All
    • I've seen on TV primitive people cook and eat tarantulas. They only cook them long enough to burn off those nasty hairs. Problem is, I LOVE spiders. It would have to be them or me before I'd kill one, let alone eat it.

• Yeah I'm a spiderman too.

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean it's not like there's a lot of ethical dilemma going on with eating crickets. ... They're crickets. Who cares. So, I'd eat some bugs, as they're apparently way, way better for your health than red meat with just as much protein. But there are other bug I def would not eat, like slimy ones or some shit. Hell no.

That said, I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but the lifestyle we all now lead is not sustainable, given how overpopulated America and the entire world has become. We can't all just eat as much meat as we want, but we could eat as many bugs as we want. They're plentiful and easy to raise.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• I'd say they wouldn't, because most of the time people become vegetation/vegan because of the treatment towards animals. Insects are animals, so I believe they'd find it morally wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • No the bugs would be in pain and their little bug family would miss them too much :'( haha it's so ridiculous

0|1
    0|0
    • When I was a child, I demanded my dad throw back fish because they would miss their families. Haha!

• Show All
    • That is funny, and interesting. Turtles may not nurse, but I often see baby turtles sunning with mature turtles. I guess I always just assumed they were family and it was rearing. Maybe it's just mimicry. Guess I have some reading to do!

• my aunt owns an island that scientists and other people come out to do surveying of how many turtle nests there are and how many newly hatched baby turtles make it back to the ocean per year, i don't know too much about it but I have talked to some of them and I think it would be fine to keep a baby turtle as a pet, noy a sea turtle but a small fresh water turtle, they dont necessarily need there family but a lot of animals live in groups like that without really needing their parents or anything

• I’m a vegetarian and I wouldn’t ever eat a bug, I don’t even kill bugs.

1|1
    1|0
    • So a big spider who can kill you is on your leg what do you do? Smash its head in or die? Is a spider a bug? meh who cares close enough.

• I love spiders. I would probably shake it off or push it off, if I had enough time to squash it I’d have enough time to remove it.

• I love spiders. I won't deliberately kill them. I'll squish any biting bug though. I used to squish the stinging ones too, but now I just avoid them because I'm allergic. If one gets in the house, I suck it up with the vacuum! If it's the bug or me, the bug dies. But that's rarely the reality of a situation.

• Nobody should eat insects, they are repulsive and most of them carry some sort of disease.

0|0
    0|1
    • To my knowledge, no animals inherently carry or generate disease. Nor are any inherently immune to disease. Even in developed nations people contract food born illness quite frequently. You're entitled to your opinion to say bugs are disgusting, but you're quite simply wrong about your claim that "most of them carry some sort of disease."

• I never said that they inherently carry or generate disease but they are transmitting lots of the diseases. Mosquitoes, flies, fleas, ticks, lice, midges, cockroaches and many other insects spread various type of protozoa, bacteria, viruses etc.

• No bugs are living creatures. Vegans will eat cheese and dairy and may eat eggs. Vegetarians won't eat anything that comes from a living animal. They only eat plant and legumes.

0|1
    0|0
    • It's the opposite vegans won't eat animal products but vegetarians will, some vegetarians also eat seafood but vegans obviously will not

• Show All
    • Definetly lol cheese is a godsend anyways

• Yes, I love cheese

• I’m a vegetarian and I will not eat or squash a bug

1|1
    1|0
  • Perhaps because they do not have blood. They cannot be killed in cold blood?

0|0
    0|0
  • No Bugs are animals too

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• Some animals eat plants, and poop them out again. This is a good thing for plants, because it accelerates the process of breaking down plant matter, thus liberating nutrients for other plants to grow, but it's not vital for the plants to grow. But some, maybe most plants probably have come, partly, from animals. So aren't vegans, in a way, going against their own way of life?
    Anyway, some insects can taste amazing, I've only tried a few.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, there's a philosophical debate about honey and I extended the "honey isn't vegan because it's a product of bees" argument to include pollination as a byproduct of bees, therefore vegan purists can't eat the majority of fruits and vegetables grown commercially or wildly. I'm not the first to suggest this, and I won't be the last.
      I sometimes wonder why other people's life choices become a point of contention for those of us that they never really effect.

• Well... they effect some of us "murderers". But I didn't put that up for debate. I actually just wanted a straight answer on that question.

• Vegetarians might but vegans would not. Vegans do not even it honey so they obviously couldn't eat it's maker.

0|2
    0|0
    • No kidding? I ate vegan for a year, and honey was a staple of my diet. This is the first I've ever read of vegans not eating honey.

• Show All
    • by·prod·uct

ˈbīˌprädəkt/

noun

plural noun: byproducts

an incidental or secondary product made in the manufacture or synthesis of something else.

"zinc is a byproduct of the glazing process"

a secondary result, unintended but inevitably produced in doing or producing something else.

"he saw poverty as the byproduct of colonial prosperity"

synonyms:side effect, consequence, entailment, corollary;

Pollination is actually a bee byproduct by textbook definition. You can try to dance around that simple fact all you want, but you are simply and plainly wrong. I did acknowledge that not all crops benefit from bee pollination, but the vast majority do. Some estimate that a third of our global crops are fully dependent on insect pollination.
      academic.oup.com/aob/article/103/9/1579/146727

• I already said that its a by product of their actions, so no, im not wrong. That's not the issue vegans have. They have an issue from something animals physically produce.

• I'm a vegetarian and I will not eat bugs. Where do I drawn the line?
    I won't eat anything that moves. Tbh I'd rather die than eating bugs. Because that's disgusting.

0|1
    0|0
    • So, it's not a moral thing where bugs are concerned? Just gross?

• Show All
    • No I don't eat sea food. Plants don't move. They change their direction of growth. And yup I know that plants consume poop but they completly change it's structure so it doesn't really matter. I avoid eating those plants (it is difficult you know)

• Plants DO move. What do you think changing their direction of growth means? You're dancing around semantics now. Get better words. Try including words like "autonomous" and "sentient" in your definitions. Fact: many plants move, hour by hour. Do they choose to move? Probably not, but that's inconclusive at this point. Have you read any of the studies on whether or not plants have feelings, or respond to human emotions? You should, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ready for some potentially life-changing decisions.

• Bugs are not vegetarian. So, if they ate bugs, they would be neither vegetarian or vegan.

0|2
    0|0
    • There are a lot of varying levels of vegetarian exceptions, though. I, personally, wouldn't agree that someone who eats fish is a vegetarian. (I know a girl like that.) I'm just trying to find out if people who justify eating fish because it's supposedly a lesser life form than mammals or birds could justify eating insects also. Not sure if I'll get a clear consensus since most of them claim they'd avoid bugs just because it's "gross" or because it IS of the animal kingdom.

• Some "vegetarians" eat fish, because they feel it's better than eating cows and chickens, due to fish supposedly being healthier to eat.

• In about a couple hundred year. Regular food won't be available enough to our super crowded planet.
    All that will remain, is bugs. Hate it or love it, people are going to eat them.

0|1
    0|0
    • Well, since you brought it up...
      you really think we can go a couple hundred more years without a cataclysmic event? I don't. Between the next world war, climate change, near Earth objects apparently long overdue for collision by mathematical standards, and vaccination-resistant viruses, we barely stand a chance. Who knows what else the next 20 decades will bring?

• I totally agree.
      I'm pretty sure some apocalyptic event is going to happen. The examples you mentionned are excellent.
      Earth population is definitely going to decrease, significatively. Before we run out of food. I just didn't think this through. Thank you.

• Your question confirms my point of not being a V'. or a V'. It somehow gives me extra time to deal with important matters.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes, I've seen your name on the most important research of our times.
      You're doing wondrous things your spare time... here... with the rest of us on GAG. Congratulations!

• Being sarcastic myself, I appreciate your comment. Peace.

• I would, but I'm not a vegetarian, and bugs are really expensive for some reason.

1|1
    0|0
    • You wouldn't think so. After all, they're plentiful! Maybe it's expensive to farm them in a way that consumers wouldn't find gross.

• I feel like you can't be a vegan if you eat bugs...

0|1
    0|0
    • That's arguably true, and I would agree. But it's not a great extension of the same thought process that rules out every living thing as a food source even if you can manage to completely avoid processed foods for life. Veganism is not a choice, but a series of choices, and there's no good reason for a person who makes certain choices to harshly judge people who don't make the same choices. Unfortunately, this is what vegans have become more known for; not their dietary choices, but their judgments on everyone who doesn't choose the same way, including other vegans.

• No its animal protein, but we all do, accidently get into the food supply.

0|1
    0|0
    • There it is...
      the reality everyone conveniently ignores, especially the "holier than thou" purist vegans. If you're eating ANY processed foods, you're eating animal proteins, including insects, rats, mice, birds, worms, et cetera. If I had a plush toy of a vegan throwing up, I'd happily mail it to you!

• Both this and honey is debated among vegans, interesting stuff I don't do either to be safe.

0|1
    0|0
    • I just learned about the honey debate today. That one seems silly to me.

• Show All
    • Slack from fellow vegans, they can be very judgmental lol

• Yeah, I've noticed. They definitely have earned a "holier than thou" reputation, but I still try to accept people as individuals until they give me reason to stereotype them.

• For vegetarians it probably depends if they are actually a vegetarian or if they think fish isn't meat, as for vegans all their food is derived from plants so no

0|1
    0|0
  • Its one thing to eat bugs every now and then, like on a camping trip and you were dared, or if its a cultural thing that is not consumed daily.

0|1
    0|0
  • Good question but I wouldn't I don't eat meal or fish as far as I am concerned is why some animal die for me to live. That includes bugs. !!! k

0|1
    1|0
  • Well, bugs are non vegetarian and so are flies so, you all can eat them and, maybe help the world too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Plants have no brain nor neurological system, therefore, they are not conscious creatures.
    I wouldn't eat insects, though, not out of compassion, but because they look disgusting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Robots will eat us for lunch

0|1
    0|0
    • Robots are neither vegan nor vegetarian. Copy that.
      So... do you think they'd eat bugs?

• im vegan and hell no i won't eat bugs

0|1
    0|0
  • They would

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes