If you are single, would you go to a bar on your own? Any tips?

Sometimes when your friends are out of town or not available, yet you want to go out for a drink. Would you go to a bar on your own, especially if you are single? Any tips with going to bars solo? Not necessarily looking, but don’t want to appear like a weirdo at a bar on your own on a Saturday night. Friends says I probably won’t be solo at the bar for long because I am very attractive, but still the thought of going to bars on your own is scary.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Go and find some bar meetups. You'll arrive alone sure, but will be talking to heaps of people the moment you arrive as most people go there solo and don't want to feel awkward. They usually message on the group page where and when to meet so you won't be so lost and uncomfortable for long.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would go on my own i even go to the Cinema on my own basically you've gotta have a "i don't give a shit what people think" attitude besides its good to go on your own sometimes, alleviates the pressure of having to keep or even start a conversation 😆

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• As a chick who enjoys doing things alone from time to time, I do indeed go to bars and such alone. You just find a spot you feel comfortable and enjoy your drink. I'm a people watcher. Not in a creepy way. But I enjoy just taking in the world as it goes by so I do that.

1|2
    1|0
  • I do not see anything wrong with being single and going to a bar. If I had any tips, I would suggest you find a bar that you like hanging out in and pick that one to be your "bar".

I do not recommend going to different bars as a single lady. I know that sounds like a cliche but take it from someone that has gone to hotel bars as a single lady when traveling for work - though cliche, the men in the hotel bar assumed I was there to look for sex and not a drink. lol!

Find your "cheers" and enjoy it. Find a place you can call home or at least, a place you enjoy being when you are on your own. :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• I do often and it's a great way to meet people. I understand that it can be a lot easier for a guy, but we also have the problem of risking looking like a creep.

Sit at the bar, maybe order a snack, be open to conversations and possibly start them. If it's quiet, talk to the bar staff. Don't forget to tip them well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ha! I go out to the bar alone all the time. I can't really give pointers I am the weirdo at the bar, Dane near twice everybody's age. The fact I'm 6'6" I stand out pretty bad as well. I just don't give a fuck what people think. I chat with random people. Get to know the regulars of the barthen your never by yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do and nothing happens, girls definitely don't talk to me lol, they are always with friends. Any kind of bar meetups like you see in movies, happen only in movies from my experience.

If I was a girl I'd be a little wary about it but maybe I'd try it

0|0
    0|0
    • Sorry tips, just eat, skip dinner at home go out to eat, bar food isn't terrible all the time so do that. Bartenders won't bother you, and most times to busy to converse anyway. And I can only guess at this, but they will likely ask you how your food is, when your mouth is full of food, just something I experience almost every time

• I go on my own when the bar is about to close to pick up the stragglers otherwise with groups is always better , more fun, get to break away and do your own thing, come back, try and fuck your friends/coworkers. From a women's perspective yeah I could see how it would be scary.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not such a bad thing sometimes if it gets you talking to other people rather than just with friends, but wouldn't it be better to be with a friend since you are going to be drinking?

0|0
    0|0
  • When I go out I am wide open to whatever happens; that is my objective for going out. What is your objective?

1|0
    0|0
  • It's worth trying once. It might be scary at first, but you'll feel more confident after it's over.

Protip: Visit the bar during the day to take the edge off the fear you're experiencing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't as a woman. I think you should have someone to keep an eyr on you. I mean what if someone puts something in your drink and drags you home? But as a guy I've done it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're a grown adult. You can go to social events on your own. Maybe make a friend or two so you have someone to go with the next time.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm out alone quite often... I'm used to it. I try to go to the bar with at least one other person though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take a book, eat the bar snacks or a meal with your drink, and limit yourself to just ONE drink. Don't drive; take a cab or walk there and home again.

0|0
    0|0
  • For a guy it’s easier. I have found very easily to start convos with bartenders or random people in general. It’s all about confidence. On the other hand, it’s hard for a girl

0|0
    0|0
  • I rarely drink alcohol and I don't go to bars and clubs to do it. Why can't book stores be an accpetable place to meet new people?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that a woman going to a bar on her own is a disaster waiting to happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drinking with others is social. Drinking by yourself is a problem.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I drank then yea. I have before.
    What's ur problem with it? There's nothing wrong in going out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Start by playing pool or go up to somebody and ask if you can buy them a drink. Nobody says no to a free drink.

0|0
    1|0
  • hey you should stay away there no one there but sad people trying to down their sorrows. If you do it risky but that your choice

0|0
    0|0
  • Well "on the pull" is a English slang for looking for sex. There has got to be a reason for the slang

0|0
    0|0
  • If you watch how much you drink you should be fine. Tell someone where you're going and check in.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I would not go to a bar but I do not drink that is just me

0|0
    0|0
  • Indeed, I own a Sportsbar and I’m there most days. Just be an approachable friendly person.

0|0
    0|0
  • In bar hmmm i would go for hunting of single girls like you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on the circumstances, usually a girl alone at the bar wants to get picked up

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I'm too ugly, socially awkward and too much of a nerd to meet a girl at a bar 😔

0|0
    0|0
  • I've done it several times. No problem with that, much better to pick up girls.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm single, but I don't drink.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nopes

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I'll drink at home, thank you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 30

• Yes go to a gay bar ! No one hits on you and you just make new friends with gay people and drag queens. The music is better and you can dance all you like and wear any clothes you want ! Just follow gay club etiquette which is basically tip the queens of there is a drag show and don’t get on the stage if you are drunk.

2|2
    0|0
    • Is this really a thing straight women do? I mean the way you described everything like it's well known. I'm so out of touch. LOL

• @NYCQuestions1976 I’m bi , but I go for the shows and for rupauls drag race Viewing party. I just suggested the gay bar because no creeps

• For sure! As a woman you’ll always be safe and have fun in a gay bar. Plus you’ll make friends right away

• No, I would not. I don't drink alcohol, so I don't see any point in going to a bar, especially by myself. And I would frankly feel very uncomfortable being by myself.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don’t drink much, so it’s unlikely that I would have a hankering to go out to a bar in the first place. I go to restaurants alone all the time.

It depends on what you want out of your night. If you want to have a quiet drink by yourself, bring a book (or honestly stay home). Otherwise, you’ve gotta look like you want to talk to people - and guard your drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use to often. Sit at the bar order your beverage of choice, get a snack, be open to chat with the bartender and patrons around you, look inviting. Smile, but don't over do it. Make conversation with the person next to you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am going to a bar soon. Never been to one. I am going to see a small concert for a indie band. The place is just one small floor. I guess maybe you should go to a bar that isn't all drinking or that has a performer. What are they going to say? You can't be there? I plan to dress casual maybe you should do the same? If I do get approach I would just say I am not interested. lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I sometimes go to bar and order jack n coke.. then thirsty guys always tryna flirt on me... they buy me drinks and i talk to them... when i think I'm enough to drink... then i say... oh.. excuse me... bathroom. ... and i go to home...

0|0
    0|1
  • Only of someone asked me or if I wanted to grab a beer quick without breaking the law lol like not getting a public drinking ticket.. Or if people asked me but that usually/ basically exclusively only happens with the setups... Kinda depressing actually

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't, but its only because im so self concious. I really want to do it because its a great way of meeting new people, but i just dont have the guts for it In addition I life so far from any city center and i would be a lot more comfortable going out knowing someone will be there with me on the not so short way back, especially on a Saturday

0|0
    0|0
  • i have gone to club alone before but i'm shy and just want to sit there and enjoy the music which i guess makes me look super young? because kids in their early 20s come up thinking i'm younger than them and ask if i'm ok and if it's my first time at a club? it's so awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do everything on my own even if friends are around. I am not used to relying on company to do things I want to do.

0|0
    0|0
    • Doesn’t seem at all odd to me I don’t see the issue. And I’d rather be alone then have a stranger sit with me.

• I’m not under the impression you’re looking to meet people but if so why not try a different atmosphere.. park bookstore cafe lectures hobbies etc

If you are there to get a drink then you’re there to get a drink. I don’t see why who you are or are not with should matter.

• I'm way too awkward for that and I'd feel pretty uncomfortable at a bar alone.

1|1
    0|0
  • nope... i even find it awkward to eat alone at a restaurant.

1|2
    0|0
  • No, I exclusively go to a bar for having a chat with my friends, having a drink is just something to do in the meanwhile.
    Drinking for the sake of drinking us rather sad...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Let some one know you are going there and be careful with drinks

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t. There’s something about bars that make me socially awkward and self-conscious.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really, because I don't drink anymore.
    Plus lots of creepy guys would be there.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I can handle myself with two or few drinks then only... or drinking alone at home is safe enough.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I were single I would not go to a bar all by myself, I would probably go with a group of friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never would go alone unless I knew some friends are already there.

0|0
    0|0
  • I won't. I would drink at home.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just go and mingle and have fun

0|2
    0|0
  • I would rather go with friends

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure why not but its more fun with friends

0|0
    0|0
  • no cuz I dont drinK

0|0
    0|0
  • no I wouldn't

0|0
    0|0
  • I never did like going to the bar alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope, i wouldn’t do that.

0|0
    0|0
  • NEVER

1|0
    0|0
  • I would go to just meet new people. When I'm with groups of people I tend to stay with them and not really mingle, but when I'm alone I'm forced to socialize. Yes, guys will definitely hit on you. If they offer to buy a drink, nicely decline. If they insist, it's ok to accept but make sure the drink is in your sight from the second it's poured until it's in your hand and don't let it leave your sight. I also bring a pocket taser just in case a situation gets out of hand (never has though).
    And always let someone know where you'll be. Drop a pin and send it to a friend. Going out alone is a great way to meet new people, I love doing it. Just make sure to take extra precautions.

0|1
    0|0
  • i would not, seems risky, plus i wouldn't want people hitting on me haha

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes