How often do you drink alcohol (and read below to answer my other question)?

My boyfriends 21st bday is this month and he's been talking about drinking forever. I mean he's drank before but he's tryna go all out since he’ll be legal now. He claims he won't get drunk and that he's never been drunk. Im not tryna be a party pooper so im like ok have fun ig. I can't go since we’re ldr. But im worried deep down because he's talking about having like a couple of drinks but that he shouldn't get drunk since 2 cups never effected him. I dont drink but i do worry about him drinking while im not around. he's never drank outside of home before and I don't know what to expect since he’ll be hanging with an old HS friend. He said they’ll prob have 2 drinks at a restaurant and then go to a liquor store after. Since i want kids in the next year or so should i be worried about his fertility since he claims he’s gonna buy a 6 pack of whatever and drink them on different days? Like is he on the path to becoming a drunk/less fertile? #AlcoholicsMixtape #FeelFreeToList
  • I dont drink
    Vote A
  • I dont drink yet but i will start when legal
    Vote B
  • I drink daily
    Vote C
  • I drink every other day
    Vote D
  • I drink at least once a week
    Vote E
  • I drink a few weeks a month
    Vote F
  • I drink once a month or so
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I also worry because the next day is our 1 year anniversary. Im afraid if he drinks too much he’ll have a hangover and wanna sleep in all day :( i was supposed to be there for his bday and our anni but i didn't get hired anywhere yet so a flight to him looks near impossible at this point.
He and i talked it over. Im not too worried about the bday night. I just didn't want him to have a hangover the next day (our anniversary) and i also didn't want him going out drinking with a guy he hasn't seen since HS (but he's still gonna do it anyway) and I didn't want him to continue drinking after that day (but he said he prob will a few times a month which ig is the closest i’ll get to none). So ig we’ll be ok. Thanks for tips people

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Worry about alcohol consumption the week of trying to get pregnant. Its short lived. doesn't lower fertility but can make the less desirable DNA get through

1|0
    0|0
    • Ohhh okay thank you :) and wow less desirable like mentally challenged or something? But i asked cause i watched a show the other day and they said 1 drink of alcohol is equal to 1 drink of soda and that both can shorten fertility or something

• Show All
    • If you think if he liked drinking that it will be a deal breaker it woyld be better to end it before kids. If not a problem for you then dont worry

• Also, since you said worry the week we plan to conceive... should i worry if our bachelor (ette) party is in vegas (alcohol world) the day before the wedding. Cause im pretty sure he's gonna drink. I totally kinda expect it 🙈

Most Helpful Girls

• Never had a drink of alcohol in my life

1|1
    0|0
    • Yea i tried it but dont like it. Can you read my story

• Believe me it is not gonna effect his fertility lol. I come from a family of alcoholics who have no problem at all making babies.

• I don't drink anymore.

1|1
    0|0
    • What was your reason for stopping and how long did it last

• I only drank for a couple years, actually. I stopped mostly for health reasons, but alcoholism runs on both sides of my family also and the thought of possibly becoming an alcoholic kinda scares me. I did have a glass of wine a few weeks ago, but that's pretty much all the alcohol that I've had in the past couple years.

• Yea his dad drank a lot. I wouldn't call hima drunk tho but I don't know

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 46

• I usually drink alcohol on weekends, and rarely during the week.

You're WAY overthinking this fertility situation! Plenty of men drink ALL the time and can still conceive children.

Secondly, I absolutely EXPECT him to get drunk! Getting drunk is fun as long as he is around the right people. You should WANT him to get drunk and enjoy himself! :-P

2|3
    0|0
    • he's going with a guy he hasn't seen since HS. Its been like 3 years 😒 I don't know what this dude is about now. He could be different now. He doesn't even reply to my bfs texts

• I suspect the concerns about male fertility and alcohol are based on long term abuse (something like 20+ drinks per week) or frequent binges (5+ at a time) over a number of years, I don't think you need worry about a one-off birthday celebration. The main risks are accidents and (rarely) maybe aspiration pneumonia (a drunk vomits in his or her sleep and because they're lying down they inhale their vomit with a risk of drowning in it. Best to sleep on 2 pillows after a bit of a bender).
    Intent means SFA. Alcohol reduces inhibitions. You start out saying '2 drinks, max!' 2 may not show much but, trust me on this, it's damn hard to say no to 3, 4, & 5 after the first 2. Especially for an inexperienced drinker.
    At home I'll have a small whiskey 3 or 4 nights a week, we'll split a bottle of wine with dinner on either Saturday or Sunday and I get the lion's share, say another 4 drinks, and I'll spend around 5 to 6 hours on Thursdays, so say 5 pints of Guinness and maybe another small whiskey. Rounded up, say around 15 units a week.
    Most pertinent to your boyfriend would be Thursdays. I have rules.
    - no shooters, sipping whiskey only. Irish whiskey is too good to knock back without a bloody good taste.
    - no more than 1 drink per hour. Easy in Ireland. You go to pubs to socialize, not to get pissed. The craic's the thing. There are no strangers in an Irish pub, except for tourists who just don't get it.
    - a slow glass of water between pints.
    You are right to be cautious, alcohol can be dangerous if abused, but your main worry is purely short term.

0|1
    0|0
    • Its not just about fertility. He said he's gonna buy a lot of 6 packs to drink on diff days. I don't know what drink he means but its not beer

• Cider is possible, but I doubt it. Premixed cocktails sounds most likely. He's been straining at the leash for a while so I can understand his excitement. That initial burst should fade soon, and if not maybe a few nasty hangovers will convince him to slow down.
      Lots of young guys go through this with permanent damage so the odds are in his favour.

• Thanks :) and yes he loves cider but turrns out he's talking bout seagrams wine coolers

• I drink once a year or so, when I'm with friends. While I always black out when drunk apparently I do some pretty interesting things.

I'd not be worried about him. As soon as he has barfed out more than he though he even had inside of him he'll know not to drink too much. If he doesn't - then that is even less of a reason to be worried. If it's only this once it's fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • If he doesn't drink all the time he will be alright I wouldn't sweat it to much if he was drinking all the time the only issue he might run into is whiskey dick but only drinking once in awhile isn't goimg. to effect him , if he drinks wine or beer it's actually good for you

1|0
    0|0
    • He doesn't drink beer. And whats a whiskey dick lol

• Show All
    • Oh wow. And we def were gonna have some Skype sex the next day haha. He better mot go limp on me

• Lmao he might be prepared lol

• I don't drink at all.. I don't need that in my life.. LOL.. But, I think you are over worryin about it... He may get drunk that one time and never wanna do it again.. Or he may not get drunk.. But I don't think it'll affect his fertility..

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh stawp it lol
    Hahaha its just exploring. He's a young guy and he will go through many drinking nights with the boys

He will probably get sick at least once
    Puke at least once
    Do something stupid at least once

Like for sure lol
    There is no fertility issues at this point and far from it. far from a drunk too lol

Do keep in mind. He hasn't even had two beers at 21 and you're already calling him a potential drunk 😂

0|1
    0|0
    • No im just asking if drinking weekly or whatever could cause him to become w future alcoholic. And we’re gonna try to conceive around the end of next year

• Show All
    • Lol
      Well ya of course you are always at risk to like
      It and become addicted and do nothing but drink
      But thats like eating mdcondals for the frst time and saying. Omg this person mighg get obese and addicted to food

i mean yes true but its not that straight forward lol

• Ya i was just saying me cause you always ask me to answer your question 😂

A start of anything is a door open to walk through if you so choose to
      A person could have their first drink at home. Just one. And like become addicted in year 40

It all depends lol
      But i don't think NOT drinking is the answer lol

• If you couldn't afford a plane ticket because you had no job, you need to put children on the backburner.

Get a job, get some money, get some stability, then have kids if you are cohabiting.

A guy you're in an LDR with getting hammered on his 21st should be the least of your worries.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't be worried about fertility at his age. I would be more worried about him getting too drunk or start drinking sll the time though. He is young and new to it, so he may just get it out of his system. I would just see how it goes.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea i was worried he’d do it all the time though too

• Well you have to give him a chance to prove whether he can handle it. Most people can drink responsibly.

• Two huge issues;

1. Your (and his) ages. Please, please reconsider kids until you have co-habited for at least six months... give your selves and the relationship a chance.
    2. Distance. A HUGE relationship killer... Not doubting you are both furiously in love and committed.. but you need to trust whatever happens is all above board... him getting drunk isn’t going to change anything.

Talk on the phone... let him know how you feel.

0|1
    0|0
    • I told him how i feel. We continued to disagree. And im trying to live with him next spring. That’ll be about 6 months before marriage/kids

• Good work! And it sounds like you’ve thought this through...
      no. A night out with buddies isn’t going to affect long term potency... maybe on the night.. lol

• I rarely drink and the stuff I drink called Kombucha has very little alcohol. As for your Situation, just tell him to be careful and remind him of your anniversary.

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven't drink properly in about 6 months. And I don't intend to do it. I drank during my first 3 years of college though and that wasn't that long ago...

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea can you read my story

• Show All
    • Ok i dont have anything to pm right now bt i’ll follow u to keep in touch

• No problem. Again: good luck

• I generally don't drink, so on the very rare occasion when I have a glass (generally red port, like twice a year) I wonder if I could go to the room and walk straight.
    But... I've never heard about any link between drinking and fertility so I'm convinced you'll be okay there Desi :D

1|0
    0|0
  • It's legal for me now. But still I don't drink. Never have never will - just one of the few things I'm never gonna do

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea you're not missing anything. I tried 3 frozen shots for my 21st bday at Fat tuesdsy. Yuck. One had bourbon, the other was champagne, and the other was rum. And i couldnt stop laughing for a whole hour just from that. Then i had a headache afterwards. I said im not tryna drink again unless its a glass of champagne at my wedding

• You’re overthinking the situation. Wait until he does something foolish before worrying about alcoholism!!!

0|1
    0|0
  • It sounds like a problem, hopefully both of them will take a taxi instead of driving. Why does he want to drink so much anyway?

1|0
    0|0
  • Wait, long distance relationship, only been together a year, and you're planning kids already and trying to ruin his 21st? Have you even met this guy in person?

0|0
    0|1
    • Yes we’ve met in person 😒 and he knew i wanted kids when he got with me. We’d marry before the kids

• Show All
    • Yea i said i wouldn't get in his way. Literally since im ldr

• Hahaha and yet all your update is about is how you're getting in his way...

• i don't drink but he should learn how to drink responsibly

1|0
    0|0
  • Alcohol can't make you infertile.
    If anything, it can mess up with your hormones a little (affecting sperm quality in the process), but that is temporary and reversible.

I personally drink something almost every day, or every other day, but then I go without drinking anything for weeks or months, even.

His behavior does sound silly, though.
    But I reckon he is just being a little immature, no need to worry.
    One doesn't really become an alcoholic that easily, alcoholics spend whole days at the bar, and it usually takes an underlying reason to go down that path.

Besides, if he is buying a "6 pack"... it's going to be some pisswater, not something to develop alcoholism from.
    You are more likely to poison yourself with all the water in beer, rather than the alcohol content.

0|1
    0|0
    • he said he's gonna buy a lot of 6 packs to drink on diff days. I don't know what drink he means but its def not beer. He said he hates beer

• Not often enough.
    And I think your boy will be fine...

0|0
    0|1
  • I've probably abused my liver harder than most people my age and didn't effect my fertility or make me an alcoholic. So unless he just dives off the deep end abd you see it really negatively effect his life its fine and you just worry too much

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I like alcohol but my hubby was really upset when he found out so we made an agreement that I would only drink at home when he was around, no drinking in public, and no going all out

0|0
    0|0
  • I only drink socially sometimes and since I don't really get out much that's also met never but I have drank at home quiet a bit but only when my mom brings alcohol

0|0
    0|0
    • Can you reas my story

• I did Honestly I wouldn't worry to much as long as he knows his limitations and he has someone trust worthy there he will be fine

• My first time drinking hard I put away a 6 pack and a full bottle of rum. I’ll get hammered every night for weeks at a time in the summer.

He’s 21, he’ll be fine

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think drinking affects fertility, but I'm not sure.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't drink. Alcohol has deleterious effects far too numerous to mention here. Suffice to say, "Rotten grains for rotten brains."
    ~JSmith

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea can you read my story above

• I did read your question but I thought my answer would be implied.
      There is no way to tell if he is on his way to alcoholism, but medical science has determined that alcohol can be detrimental in quantities as small as one drink per week. Some people claim they are not addicted because they can and do quit for a time when required. But I fail to see the functional difference between a person who CAN”T quit and a person who WON’T quit. The damage is done either way.
      Moreover, I would be less worried about the effects on his fertility than on your children once they are born. I would not want to have children with someone who plans their debauchery with such enthusiasm. He should be using this energy to plan his career and your life together.
      ~JSmith

• Yes thank you

• I don't drink that often cause I don't go out as much as I should. I don't mind having 1 at home every now and then but rarely still.
    This weekend I've drank every day which is good change of pace

0|0
    0|0
  • Not trying to be up myself but its possible for me to drink more than a 24 pack in a night. Some handle it well some dont. You should not be worried about him having a 6pack or 2 in a night.

0|0
    0|0
    • Its not beer tho

• doesn't matter if its beer or not. I drink like a fish sometimes sadly. Burbon, tequila, absinthe. I've had it all. I'm still successful and have a good life.
      I'd assume you guys are American with a 21 legal age.

• When I do, Ill make sure to be someplace Ill be safe, or have a designated driver.

1|0
    0|0
  • While drinking can be a negative favtir if it were that detrimental I feel the human population would not have reached it's current levels

0|0
    0|0
    • Well Americans are certainly trying to lower the population levels by shooting each other. But that’s nothing that more guns wouldn’t fix, guns in schools, guns everywhere, guns guns guns.

• i only drink socially

and i doubt that a few drinks will threaten his fertility so dont even worry about it

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• Lol him drinking a 6 pack isn't going to effect his fertility. Depending upon what he drinks and how much of it is going to determine if he has a hangover. It's his 21st birthday tho so like, let him live a little.

0|0
    0|0
    • Its not beer he's drinking. I don't know what it is. And its not all one day. He said he's gonna buy 6 packs to drink diff days. And i dont care what he does his bday drink-wise. I just dont want him to keep drinking day and day after

• There are alcoholics that get women pregnant every day. But communication is key so if you have concerns, voice them.

• Sorry but don't expect to much for your anniversary. If he's gonna drink forever he's gonna have a hangover longer than forever. My first black out drunk night was so bad that I didn't get out of bed three next day.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't drink due to my medication. but before my med's i would give in to my Irish side enough said.

0|1
    0|0
  • I drink about once a week, approximately.

You seem to be rather misinformed about alcohol consumption.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't drink, but since everyone I know does, I know that a sixpack of most likely beer won't get a person super drunk if he doesn't drink them all at once and he doesn't sound irresponsible enough to not know his limits. I wouldn't worry about his fertility either.

0|0
    0|0
    • He doesn't drink beer. I don't know if he's referring to wine coolers or something strong

• To my understanding they don't sell anything strong in sixpacks. It's probably still around 4-7‰ so nothing to worry about.

• I drink when I go out with friends, like once a week. Dont worry, one sixpack will not make him a drunk or less fertile.

0|1
    0|0
    • Okay im just asking because he didn't say it would be just 1 six pack. He just said he’d buy some 6 pcks and drink them diff days

• He's just sowin his wild oats. He's a good Christian boy. He's not gonna turn into a drunk.

• I drink at least 2 times a week, and so far it hasn't really affected me negatively. Alcohol doesn't really affect fertility, and even if it does, it won't happen in a year. Just let your guy have some fun, a sixpack of beers over the course of a few days is nothing. I'd worry if he had like a bottle of vodka every day.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink once or twice a week, mainly when I dont have to get up for work the next morning. As for your boyfriend, OF COURSE HE"S GOING TO GET DRUNK!! Lol. He's going to have to learn for himself what hos limits are and what types of alcohol affect him best/worst. I wouldn't worry about the fertility aspect right now especially since you are in an LDR. I'd be more concerned with who's driving because dead men can have no babies.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea he's gonna see if he can get the sis to drive. And we’re ldr but may be marrying/moving in together/conceiving around the end of next year. He claims he never got drunk off two cups but he makes me nervous when he says he's gonna drink like 2 drinks at the restaurant and then more after from the liquor store

• Show All
    • We’re gonna do a 1 year and a half by ldr and then maybe 6 months in person

• Cool. I hope you have a happily ever after story.

• Once a month or less, but it's always one drink or so, don't really want to get drunk.
    About fertility, it can have some effect, but it probably depends on the quantity, frequency and so on, your boyfriend is not some old drunk, so I think he's on the safe side :P No need to worry. Most of my high school friends have been getting wasted almost every weekend since they were 16 and none of them is infertile yet. Or a drunk. It really takes you more than a night out with friends to get there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drinking one night even getting completely drunk will not affect his fertility. It’s also unlikely he will become a drunk unless alcoholism runs in his family. He will be fine, let him have some fun, if he’s hung over so what, he will wake up eventually and you can talk then.

I only drink occasionally, maybe once a month if that.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think you're overreacting.
    drinking won't make him less fertile. i know plenty of men that have been drinking all their life and they have a lot of children. also, if u have a six pack of beer at home and drink it on different days, u won't become an alcoholic. my mom loves drinking beer when she watches football, and she doesn't depend on alcohol.
    and, your boyfriend will find out his limits to drink, so relax.

0|0
    0|0
    • He doesn't like beer. I don't know what alcohol he's referring to but its not that

• oh sorry, but i think that getting a drink once a week or on different days it's nothing to worry about.
      if the months go by and u see that he's drinking everyday then yes, do something to help him

• I drink so rarely that I may as well tell you I don't drink lol I probably drink every three months or so.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea thats totally fair. Can u read my story above

• Show All
    • I didn't say one night. Did u read the whole story? I said he said he's gonna buy lots of six packs and I don't know if he'll be drinking daily or weekly but he said it wouldn't all be the same day. Plus its not beer he’ll be drinkin

• Just relax. Plenty of people drink every day and reproduce just fine. You're really just freaking out over nothing.

• Alcohol is so grossss, maybe he will maybe he won’t

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you need to relax or you will drive yourself crazy. I'm not sure where you live but drinking is a very normal part of society. Unless he has a family history of alcoholism I wouldn't worry about it. Whether you stay with this person or end up with someone else, you can't control people and if you try it will be a losing battle. A healthy relationship is built on trust. The way you are worrying about it it seems that he has broken your trust in the past. In thats the case it's a different story and I can see why you are worried but the point still remains, he will do what he wants to do.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never drink I hate the taste. Maybe try to tell him to buy less alcohol that seems so much and drinking is dangerous.

0|0
    0|0
  • Okey, well here it's legal to drink with 16, but I started with 18 and well I don't drink much anymore, maybe once a month or however I feel.
    To your boyfriend, don't worry, I personally always still have control over the situation, no matter how drunk I used to be. Like I still could think clearly, even tho I couldn't walk straight lol I wouldn't be scared that he does something or no don't worry about his fertility! I swear if alcohol should have any negative impact on that nearly every German men or women would have get less fertile or stuff

0|0
    0|0
    • Hahaha thanks 👍

• Show All
    • Happy anniversary by the way

• Its next Saturday but thanks

• I don't drink

1|0
    0|0
  • Never drank

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea i dont drink but can u read my story above

• Sorry for the late response I was out. Buy to answer your second question I don't think you should worry I mean he is only excited about being legally able to drink but I'm pretty sure he'll get over it soon

Recommended myTakes