Wine Tasting - have you ever tried it?

I am not much of a drinker (of any time of alcohol) but been learning more about different types of wines.
Recently came across that an article that the shape of the bottle will tend to indicate the type of wine it is.
For those wine drinkers out there - did you ever go to a wine tasting or how did you figure out what wines you liked?Wine Tasting - have you ever tried it?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I've tasted many wines in many different environments, at home, wineries, wine festivals and wine and food pairings. I've been to Napa, Washington State, Finger Lakes and Virginia for a few.

Wine festivals are nice to sample MANY wines from MANY wineries but you tend to... Tire your tastebuds out and it's hard to dintiguish the different nuances of the wine when it first hits your tongue and when it finishes.

Going to wineries with some driving time in between but it you hit too many in a day, the same tging happens as above so linit how many.

If you are new to drinking wine, go to a couple of wineries and figure out if you like red, white rose, if you like sweet, semi sweet or dry and if you like heavy or light body wines.

I like red, heavier dry oaked wines and dislike white wines and I have determined that I can't go wrong with a wine from Mendoza Argentina

1|1
    0|0
    • Awesome! thank you so much! I know there are some red wines I like, I def like the semi-sweet, but I haven't tried that many of each to know my main preference yet. I know there are some wineries in the Tampa Bay area - I will check them out!

• Show All
    • Thank you @CuriousOrator. I think the next time my son is away for the weekend, my SO and I will visit a local wine tasting place so I can experience the different wines gradually to know overload my taste buds.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• Yes, one bottle at a time. I wish I could do it though. I naturally liked dry wines and Merlot or Beaujolais (the first time I had it was in Paris) has always stuck with me. The reason I could never be a taster is because I am so biased on the ones I like and could never for example taste sweet wines; they would lose before I touch them.

3|0
    0|0
  • I grew up making wine, my whole family is in the business, I’m looking out a window right now at a vineyard in fact.
    Wine Tasting in great, its social, it’s interesting, you just try to get in touch with your senses, listen to goofy wine people and enjoy it.

The shape of the bottle can indicate wine some types of wine, but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to it as an important feature. Here you go, I’ll tell you a story though... many many years ago, the shape of the bottle determined whether the wine-maker was a Catholic or a Protestant. So, the bottle which goes straight up, that curves in at the top, that the Catholic. The bottle with the gradual curve, is the Protestant. Stories like that, people appreciate while wine tasting. Have fun!

2|0
    0|0
    • that is quite interesting, thank you for sharing!

• You will be the celebrity VIPs wine tasting, wine makers love it when they have a blank canvas, someone who humbly have to preconceived ideas or misguided theories about what “enjoying wine should be about” because there is so much marketing, or high-society sophistication etiquette, etc associated with wine. Real wine makers could care less about all that stuff, we are farmers, and scientists and we want to know your impression more than someone who tainted by the wine culture weirdos

• Trial and error. A, lot of reading. Talking to vintners and touring their wineries. Finding a good wine store with a knowledgeable staff and asking lots of questions.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. And I am so tired of these same question popping up. Sorry, just trying to clear my feed... this one just won't go away!

0|0
    0|0
  • You should one many times I think maybe one time I enjoyed the flavor

1|0
    0|0
  • Some of the sweet wine I drink taste like a fruit sweet taste

1|0
    0|0
  • No never been to a wine tasting and any wine I've tasted I haven't liked

1|0
    0|0
  • Kinda, I used to be a drunk, I drank a lot of wine while growing up

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I have never done this, but sounds fun.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you drink wine at all?

• Show All
    • I don't either, I am actually very clueless on this topic. My boyfriend knows a decent amount and he's been trying to teach me but sometimes it doesn't make sense unless I taste the wine to know what he means.

• Been there haha

• I don't drink

1|0
    0|0
  • Its a very bad taste at first

1|0
    0|0
  • No x

1|0
    0|0
  • wine tastes like shit ngl

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, tasty.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wine makes me very horny but sometimes sick

0|0
    0|0
  • Waste of time

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, not interested

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

• I love wine tasting! I’m not a connoisseur or anything, but I really enjoy picking up on the differences between certain types of wine. It’s also interesting to see the true connoisseurs do their thing, see which ones are humble in their knowledge and which are all hoity toity about it. Tastings are great for people-watching 😁

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah , and you try things and if you like it you like it. The way I see things is that I already know what characteristics I like or dislike in a wine. So when I taste I’m looking for complexity and balance in the wine and looking for faults.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never done it because after trying many, I found I prefer juice/mixed drinks.

1|0
    0|0
    • Understandable. I prefer Wild Turkey 101 if I am going to drink alcohol but sometimes it's not always the best thing to have. Plus, I want to broaden my knowledge on the topic more than anything. I have friends that drink wine, and the boyfriend's mom loves wine. I would like to understand better of what they are talking about instead of staying clueless.

• I get that too. You should totally go to a tasting, it would be very educational for you. Also you should google winefolly, it seems like a good place to start.

• Went to a few wineries a couple years ago with extended family. No one likes every kind of wine. There will be ones that you like. You don’t have to be an expert. It’s casual and fun. The person doing the tour tells you about them and teaches you

1|0
    0|0
  • Since I left California in 2000, each and every time I return for a vacation, I get dragged by my parents to visit vineyards in Napa and Sonoma and many more in California's Central Coast for wine tasting. I remember enjoying a few reds & white. It's just nowadays that I'm appreciating wine significantly more.
    Ladies, please help me choose the type of red wine. What would you suggest? ↗
    Ladies, please help me choose the type of white wine. What would you suggest? ↗

1|1
    0|0
  • No it’s not for me... plus I have allergies to berries and such so I don’t.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep been on a few wine tasting Tour busses, it's heaps of fun.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have I enjoyed I was in Napa Valley went on a tour.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never drink

2|1
    0|0
  • Never

1|0
    0|0
  • I have been to a couple tastinns its fun

1|0
    0|0
  • No never been, but would love to do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never been to one

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes