Who taught you how to cook?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• My parents are both good cooks but they didn't exactly teach it to me. From my dad I learned to experiment a lot and try new things. My mom I learned how to work in a very systematic, organized way. In the end, though, I taught it to myself. When I was around the age of 16, I began to prepare my own dinners during weekdays. At first, I would only make simple things and ask my mom for help. Later, I enjoyed being more independent and adventurous. Perhaps more than anything else, I've learned from my own errors. This is still true today. For example it has taken me several years to figure out the perfect way to bake my pizzas. When I finally did figure it out last year, it was a moment of great excitement :-). The same is also true for baking, where too much experimenting can be more fatal. For example I made a cake last week and it was pretty good but not perfect. I already have an idea which two changes will probably improve it. So, maybe in a few weeks when I have some free time, I'll try it again.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Both my mother and my father. I still can't cook well but it's a start.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• Internet and mom. Does pizza from this evening count?

1|0
    0|0
  • My mother. She owned a restaurant. I learned to cook right along with learning to read and write.

1|0
    0|0
    • Wasn't your mother scared that you'd disfigure your face if you cooked at such a young age?

• Show All
    • Yes, I am her caretaker now. I'm sure she's happy I can cook.

We're having salmon alfredo tonight.

• Well, I'd love to eat that dish.

• My mom. She worked a lot when I was growing up, and cooking was one of the few things we could do to spend time together. Then, once my parents' marriage hit the crapper, I had to cook because no one else would.

1|0
    0|0
  • Watching my folks cook and then just started experimenting with foods

1|0
    0|0
  • My older brother. He's a pretty good cook, but he said "his stomach and hot grease" taught him how to cook. I guess they taught him pretty well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I worked for a rather well known chef, but it was his right hand man who actually taught me proper cooking.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've watched cooking shows and then experimented myself. I like to experiment with flavours and spices.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was alwayas looking at my mom when she cooked ( eggs, tea , rice , ... etc)
    other things I asked my sister
    she taught me

1|0
    0|0
  • Mother taught me the basics. Cookbooks, YouTube Tasty, and Chef John taught me exquisite levels in cooking.

1|0
    0|0
  • I learned to cook from my late grandma and my late mother.

1|0
    0|0
  • Reading mostly, one of my best buddies is a chef and has taught me a lot too

1|0
    0|0
  • Nobody really taught me but my dad helped the most with what I know now.

1|0
    0|0
  • My dad taught me to make eggs. That's all I can make.

1|0
    0|0
  • No one.. you just learn from. mistake

1|0
    0|0
  • YouTube. No joke.

1|0
    0|0
    • Meh, that's how I'm learning to unfuck my car. You can learn anything on YouTube!!

• My grandmother.

1|0
    0|0
  • I learn it from watching my mom

1|0
    0|0
  • I taught myself

1|0
    0|0
  • I pretty much taught myself.

1|0
    0|0
  • working in restaurants.

1|0
    0|0
  • Self taught

1|0
    0|0
  • I learned it by myself

1|0
    0|0
  • Self taught.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• I mostly taught myself living by alone for nearly three years. I also get inspiration from Tasty videos and random online recipes.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you have any tasty video that you can recommend? I've tried one and it neither looked nor tasted as good as I've thought it would. And after seeing the other front page video.. I've started wondering if those tasty videos are more for the American palate.

• Show All
    • Yeah, I skipped the lemon juice and used way more bacon and cheese.

• Thanks! I was going to ask you about the lemon juice haha last time I added it to a pesto sauce to follow the recipe, it was a disaster!

• My mom is an amazing cook.
    She sometimes caters events, like weddings and parties.
    I’ve learned most of everything I know because of her.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do not know yet. In my childhood, my mother would not let me enter the kitchen. Killed entrepreneurial spirit

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom and my Grandma. I also learned a lot from my step dad. He was a line cook at a restaurant chain and gave me some great tips.

1|0
    0|0
  • I learned because I like food and it's a survival skill.

2|0
    0|0
  • I would say my grandmother taught me more then anyone else.

1|0
    0|0
  • My mother mostly, my dad some.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both my Mother and Grandmother.

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom and Food Network

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom and my curiosity to make a new things...

1|0
    0|0
  • I just learned.

1|1
    0|0
  • My mom and Youtube

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes