Generally is raw fish/seafood safe to eat?

I actually do like it but wouldn't want to catch worms in my body like this case:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/19/man-got-huge-tapeworm-eating-sushi-7241993/

That's the only reason I avoid eating raw fish (or any raw seafood) but I've already eaten chicken makis and also the cooked version. I'm wondering if the Japanese actually get infected or is raw fish really safe to eat?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Generally, raw food isn't safe to eat, as far as I know. Even sushi can be problematic if it's low quality stuff

1|0
    0|0
    • True. No doubt their food is great and exotic but I'm not taking too much risk of getting infected.

• I think that's wise, I would be freaked out if I got infected by that stuff

Most Helpful Girl

• Raw fish is inedible, disgusting. The fish is cooked on the grill. I do not understand how these Chinese people have a taste of palate­čśé

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• There are premises on which eating raw meat is safe. Very specific premises. While it's not without risk, you can do it and it apparently has bonuses. We just lack the digestive systems now to eat just any old raw meat, willy-nilly. Cooking effectively eradicates a lot of potential issues that could make us ill.

1|0
    0|0
    • Although I DID hear that fish is significantly safer. Not all fish, but yes.

• While there are some fish you should avoid if you're eating sushi grade quality fish you will be fine. Example, salmon should not be eaten raw unless it has been deep frozen which is brought down to i think -30 degrees Fahrenheit. The sub zero temperature kills the parasites living in the fish and now that salmon is sushi grade. The salmon you buy from the grocery store has either come in fresh or just typically frozen and therefore is not safe to eat raw.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes