Was my tip okay?

I went out with my father and my uncle to eat Sunday lunch. Our total came out to 35.60, I tipped the girl 6 dollars and paid with my dad’s card because he wanted me to.

The girl only came by twice, to deliver our food and only came to check on us once. She was friendly but I don’t think she did enough to get more than 6$ to just deliver food. I handed her the transaction paper and she looked a little disappointed.

I usually tip 24%, when it’s on my card and when I have good service. Did I do a bad job at tipping her? FYI we are in the USA where tipping is more ethically inclined. She does make minimum of 5.50$ plus tips. We have asked them. But now I feel bad. My dad usually tips them 3-5$ he’s not very knowledgeable on tipping. My dad is also a regular at this place.
  • Tip was okay for minimal job
    Vote A
  • Tip was good
    Vote B
  • You don’t need to tip them if they make minimum amount plus tips
    Vote C
  • You did a crummy job at tipping!!! For shame!!
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• 6 on 36 is totally reasonable, especially for minimal service. Me personally I always keep it above 20% tho because I want to be known as a good tipper. 10% is the minimum to not be insulting, 15% is average, anything above 15% is good, anything above 20% is considered very generous. At fancier places they obviously expect more though, like to tip under 15% at a fancy place would be insulting, but we are talking lunch here, how fancy can a fkn lunch be lol I mean I guess it could be but usually lunch isn't that fancy

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah usually I tip 24% but I was using my dads card cos he told me 😅

Most Helpful Girl

• I think 20% tip is a perfect amount to tip. Maybe 15% if you are unhappy with the service. Just mu opinion

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Your tip was good and was not bad. When I feel like a baller I tip ten sometimes.

1|0
    0|0
  • You tipped a little less than 20%. I'm a server and I know that that is a good tip. 15% is standard

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, the tip was fine. Just for your own information, restraunts pay around $2 an hour in the US. Enough to cover taxes. Everything they earn comes from tips.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh yeah most do around here they pay them 2.88-3.70-ish but since this restaurant does things differently they get paid 5.50 I think plus tips :)

• Show All
    • @jimyee That's good to hear, I didn't know that. I waited tables back in 2012, and then it was 2.15 an hour.

• Yea, it's definitely getting a little better. Some states like the west coast states and I believe New York actually pay full minimum wage so where I live (Portland, or) i actually get $12 an hour but here it is customary to tip out the kitchen where as in other states I've served or cooked in that wasn't the case. So with kitchen tip out, being paid $12 an hour is kind of a wash in the end.

• I still don't understand why restaurants in usa don't pay their waiters. In Europe they get paid. And tipping just shows that the customer has good manners.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had a graph on how to do it.
    I think it goes like this you move the decimal point over of the bill.
    in this case 35.60 - 5.60
    double it 11.20

or something like that

0|0
    0|0
    • So if your bill is $20.51 You tip $.051? I think you've got a major flaw dude. Just like if you bill was $19.50 you would tip $9.50.
      Perhaps what you were trying to do was find 10%? If so then that would move the decimal over one to the left but you would use the whole number i. e. $19.50 > $1.95 That's 10% and obviously doubling to $2.90 gets it to 20%.

• "You don't need to tip them if the make minimum amount plus tips"
    Uh what? Id you don't tip them they don't make tips, just minimum wage.
    As far as her not coming around enough, did you need anything and weren't able to get it? A lot of people don't like their server constantly coming by. As a server I know this to be true and would usually only come by once or twice after dropping off the food to talk/see how everything is going. However I would of course monitor drink levels but for the most part i liked to stay out of people's way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tip was okay

She must've got many more tips that day so no need to worry

1|0
    0|0
  • It was a pretty reasonable tip for the kind of service she provided...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Yes. I think you tipped just a little over half which is pretty generous. Your Dad tips what he should. You’re fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • 5.50? I got paid 3 an hour plus Tips and I was making over 300 a week. You tipped her fine.

0|0
    0|0
    • No offense but $300 A week is pretty garbage. That's 15k a year before taxes.

• Its waitressing. Also I'm a single woman with no children so it was more than enough for me.

• When I serve if I make less then $500 a week after taxes I'm pretty pissed. I want to make closer to $1000. But that's just me.

• in my opinion you were more then fair with the tip.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it was a good amount to tip

1|0
    0|0
  • That Was 2 Much Lols

1|0
    0|1
    • Show All
    • Not sure why you think I'm offended, annoyed by stupidity perhaps but not offended in any way. But again, I'd understand why you have a hard time understanding that.

• @jimyee 😆😆😆😆Oh M8, Oh Sleep Dude👋

• The tip amount was fine..

1|0
    0|0
  • 17% is reasonable

1|0
    0|0
  • It was fine

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes