Tipping at buffets-what to do?

Tipping at buffets-what to do?I mean the type of buffet where the server gives you your drink, takes your plates, and does refills, ex) Chinese buffet, home style buffet, etc.

My friend and I disagree on this.

What do you guys think?
  • Yes, tip- but not as much as a non-buffet restaurant.
    Vote A
  • Yes, tip-as much as any other restaurant.
    Vote B
  • No, don't tip.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Waiters or servers in my country get minimum or above minimum wage, so I'm confused about tipping. Other jobs that gets minimum wage don't get tips so I don't understand the concept

1|1
    0|0
    • I wish the US was like this. Servers here can make as little as 2.13 an hour base pay.

Most Helpful Girl

• I still tip because I know that buffet servers still make server minimum wage. I don't tip as much, though. I used to be a server when I was younger before becoming a teacher so I get the struggle, but the truth is buffet servers just don't do as much work. That's why so many people want to be buffet servers.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• I ask the server what they recommend, and what I should get from the buffet. When they ask what I like, they get bonus points. If they recommend something I like, based on what I say, bonus points! If my drink is never empty (and she brings it without ice, like I ask), bonus points. 15%, maybe 20% by then.
    If she's cute, and a little 'flirty' an extra 5-10% :) :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Thanks for A2A!

I give a tip only if the service is exceptional or the waiter/server is super nice to me (make me happy in any way), because unlike the US, the waiters earn enough here in India. And I don't earn either ;_;

And in the buffet, there is self service so, I don't think it deserves a tip there.

0|0
    0|1
  • Come to Belgium :D
    Service is always included here, we only tip if the service was exceptional.
    So we don't have that problem...

0|1
    0|0
    • I wish everywhere was like Belgium! I was a server in college, they can pay you 2.13 an hour here.

• Show All
    • wow, my 2.13 brought back pain and all the free macaroni I wanted :-D

• Poor girl.
      Well, I love macaroni but not at that cost :-(

• Everywhere I go I just tip 10-20% of my bill total and round up to the nearest dollar. So if I spend 22.57 I'll probably tip around 3.43 to make my total 26.
    I don't really go to fancy places though.

0|0
    0|0
  • interesting question. they are obviously providing less service so it seems strange to tip the normal 15-20%

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country, there is no tipping... we don't have that custom in most of the Europe. But in some European countries people tip waiters if they were very pleased with their service.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know where you live... but in my country you dont have to leave a tip... like if you gonna pay 14,87€... just leave a 15€ but you dont have to pay 25€ or however you tip in your country

0|0
    0|0
  • the workers need money just as much as at a sit-down restaurant!

0|0
    0|0
  • A. for sure.. They usually make a couple bucks per hour more than servers, and have bigger sections with less to do. It's really an upgraded busser.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tip some but not as much. I usually tip $1 per person at our table

0|0
    0|0
    • That's pretty fair. I think my mom goes by that rule too.

• Yes, tip- but not as much as a non-buffet restaurant.

0|0
    0|0
  • I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I've personally haven't really went to any though thanks for the invite

0|0
    0|0
  • I tip only if they provide good service. Why would it be wrong?

0|0
    0|0
  • 15% as the regular norm. Those people LIVE on tips!

0|0
    0|0
  • I only tip because people will talk mean to you or the waiter will mess with my food next time

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya well tipping is expected there too ya lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I tip similarly at all restaurants.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if the service is good

0|0
    0|0
  • don't tip

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• If a Waitress, Which usually there is, Unless you go to Chici's, Comes to your Table and Asks What you Want to Drink? Leave her a buck. xx

0|0
    0|0
    • lol Reminds me of the Golden Corral in NC, where I shall partake this weekend. xx

• If you don’t tip then you’re rude. A lot of them depend on tips.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know, we don't tip here so I honestly wouldn't know what's appropriate...

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country we don't tips so not tips.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tip 20%

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes