Do you think the sugar tax in fizzy drinks was effective of their goals in UK?

The "ground-breaking" sugar tax on soft drinks has come into force in the UK.Do you think the sugar tax in fizzy drinks was effective of their goals in UK?

From Friday manufacturers have to pay a levy on the high-sugar drinks they sell.
Ministers and campaigners believe it has already proved to be a success with many firms reducing sugar content ahead of the change. But others say it is still too early to judge the impact.
Leading brands such as Fanta, Ribena and Lucozade have cut the sugar content of drinks, but Coca-Cola has not.
The introduction of the levy means the UK joins a small handful of nations, including Mexico, France and Norway, which have introduced similar taxes.
How will it work?
The levy is being applied to manufacturers - whether they pass it on to consumers or not is up to them.
Drinks with more than 8g per 100ml will face a tax rate equivalent to 24p per litre.
Those containing 5-8g of sugar per 100ml will face a slightly lower rate of tax, of 18p per litre.
Pure fruit juices will be exempt as they do not carry added sugar, while drinks with a high milk content will also be exempt due to their calcium content.
Originally, the Treasury forecast it would raise more than £500m a year, but that has now been reduced to £240m because some manufacturers have reduced the sugar content in their products.
In England that income is being invested in schools sports and breakfast clubs.
Products such as cakes, biscuits and other foods are not covered by the tax, although a separate initiative is encouraging manufacturers to reduce the sugar content of those items voluntarily.
'Too much stick, not enough carrot'
  • Yes, it was effective
    Vote A
  • No, it was not effective
    Vote B
  • other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don’t think it’ll make a difference. Certainly wouldn’t stop me getting a fizzy drink if I wanted one. Thankfully though, I’m not a big fan but sometimes I have a coke as a treat!

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Eh as long as they don't tax the Pepsi Max cherry ( which isn't affect by sugar tax) I'm fine.
    However places do need to start selling zero verities as diet fizzy drinks taste awful.

0|0
    0|0
    • IKR, my college only sells diets drinks and I fucking hate it

• Diet sucks, it tastes horrible. Zero drinks taste much better

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Nah an extra 20-50p or whatever won’t change owt. If people want a fizzy drink then they’ll get one tax free or not

0|0
    0|0
  • Not effective most companies are already using it the cost has been passed on to consumers who still consume them just a gimmick to raise money under the guise of public health

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it does make a difference, but I feel that it is a wrong thing to have the tax.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• As a Barman in a family restaurant chain. I can say that they have almost forced people to have the diet varieties of popular drinks.
    We have refillable drinks but now only in diet varieties. If you wanted regular Pepsi, You would pay the same for a refillable but would only have the one glass.
    I'm not a fan of it yet I've always drank the diet varieties.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has had no affect. They've either passed on the costs or replaced sugar with sweetners. Government has absolutely no interest in obesity, the tax was just a new regressive tax. How much of that money is going to NHS?

Goverment is not my mommy. Its not thier job to dictate what an individual can or can not do with their life. Its none of thier business what choices we make.

0|2
    0|0
  • sugar tax have been tried out in Norway the last year. didn't have any effect at all. only thing happening was that more people bought it across the border.. the only thing happening in Norway was that small companies struggled. so all in all it could be making more people unemployed.

0|0
    0|0
  • This sounds stupid.
    What's next? will we be taxed on fruits and vegetables for the privilege of being and living healthy? 🙄

When capitalism goes wrong, this is what happens.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a feeling it won't be effective in the long run. It's possibly worth it to keep it addictive it get more sales and pay the tax on your net income.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope I rarely noticed they were was one and it didn’t seem to make full sugar drinks any scarcer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Glad we don't have that here in America. The government is not my mommy 🙅

0|1
    0|0
  • I want my irn bru and frosty jacks stop with the fucking tax hikes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Has tobacco tax made a difference? Sugar is nearly as addictive as nicotine.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, smokers are down from 30 to 15% in the last 20 years

• Show All
    • @SpunkNugget Has extra cost stopped people drinking excessive alcohol? Duty on tobbacco was just an excuse to put another tax.

• High price certainly deters new smokers, though i can't see it helping those who are already hooked much

• I think this is a brilliant tactic like. A small step towards better future. Less diabetes

0|0
    0|0
  • It worked on me

0|0
    0|0
  • How much is a can of coke

0|0
    0|0
  • money making racket

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it was effective