Do you eat or dispose of food after its Best-before date?

A best-before date is different to a expiration date. BB means its taste and nutritional quality will decline after said date but it is still safe for consumption. A expiration date means it shouldn't be consumed due to safety reasons and you may make yourself sick.

SO, with BB do you still eat said food or do you dispose of it?

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I always throw it out... I often have hay fever so never like to rely on my sense of smell when it comes to food.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think we don't have that actually. I might be mistaken but I've never seen it in my country. We only have the expiration date. I usually don't eat things that are over the expiration date. Some of my friends do and they think I'm a pussy. That may be true. But at least I'll be a pussy without diarrhea ;-).

1|1
    0|0
  • I have OCD when it comes to checking dates on food. I don't eat anything past the BB date and am even sceptical eating food on its BB date. I know it's silly, but I can't stop myself

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 28

• It depends how much I paid for it and how long it will last after the best before date. I currently have milk that is supposed to expire in 7 days and I am trying to finish it all before then - I bought 6 cartons but I've already finished 3-5 cartons so far.

1|1
    0|0
  • My husband thinks a date on a container means when that date hits, the food goes in the trash. I on the other hand will visually inspect and sniff. It it all looks/smells good, give it a tentative taste. If it still tastes good, game on!

1|1
    0|0
  • I usually have a general idea of how long something lasts so I don't really pay attention to best before dates. I go through my fridge every month and my cabinet every couple of months so I don't usually have any problems with bad food

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what it looks/smells/tastes like. Most food is very much okay after the best before date, but for example dairy gets bad quite quickly after the BB date.

0|1
    0|0
  • Eh I personally don't like to. But I know someone who does sometimes. He says sometimes they just put that date so people would go through products faster and consume more + spend more.

0|1
    0|0
  • I eat it even if it’s expired because I want to die 😎😎😎😎😎

2|1
    0|0
  • I throw away, I have a weak body and if I eat it I become sick. It already happened to me my parents made me eat food after expiration date and I become sick.

0|1
    0|0
  • It really depends on the food. I try to eat it before anyway, but if it's past the date I carefully check if it's still ok

1|1
    0|0
  • The fuzzy green stuff is just nature's special seasoning.

1|1
    0|0
  • Usually it depends on how long it's been out of best before date and what kind of food it is.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd eat it as long as it doesn't taste off or change it's texture.. Chips still should taste normal and be crispy.

1|1
    0|0
  • I eat it if it still looks and tastes good. Most food doesn't actually go bad until a week after the best before

0|1
    0|0
  • Eat it.

I've got apple juice in the fridge, says to dispose of it after a week of being open. It's been three weeks. Still smells fine, and if anything it tastes just slightly more like an old apple. You know, the apple that doesn't have that crunch when you bite into it, but a more soft texture. Still good to eat, just not AS good as straight off the tree.

Milk is always safe, not raw milk, regular store bought milk. The only thing wrong with it after its use by is its taste and properties. It can't make you sick... unless the taste and texture makes you want to puke.

So i really on my nose more than any date. I trust teh food until the date, then after it, I become wary, but until i decide its off, its not off.

0|1
    0|0
  • I once drank a whole cup if off milk before realizing it was off. I’ve done it a million times. 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • no,becuase it was in a risk of falling ill to eat it,I would not try to have it

0|1
    0|0
  • Dispose of it. I'd rather not risk becoming ill

1|1
    0|0
  • Still eat cause I'm a cheap

3|2
    0|0
  • I throw it out

0|1
    0|0
  • Disposed it

0|1
    0|0
  • I give it to my sister

1|1
    0|0
  • I eat it. Otherwise I'd starve 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams

0|1
    0|0
  • It'd be thrown out the day later

1|1
    0|0
  • Sure. I'm so edgy. F society!

1|1
    0|0
  • Never risk a diarrhea death

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends what it is.

0|1
    0|0
  • dispose

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 31

• Best before date actually only means that the food may start to lose its taste. But can still be eaten.

0|1
    0|0
  • They make these labels too confusing I know there's like 22 or so different labels like these and they are regulated federally so it's really just a mess. I think we still eat it. It's just a marketing ploy.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the food.
    I definitely don't trust fruit, dairy, or meat after the date. Fats/sweets and bread I usually do. Veggies, I think it depends.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what the temperature is in the freezer and the type of food. Meat can last indefinitely at 0°F as long as it was never thawed. Veggies and fruit I'd probably throw out just because the flavor changes too much to really enjoy

0|1
    0|0
  • I dispose of it if it’s fresh goods. Sealed in a packet, I’ll probably give it a try at least.

It’s completely wasteful, but something i can do.

1|1
    0|0
  • Why risk your personal health over something that costs just a few dollars?

0|1
    0|0
  • i consider the best by dates but generally make the decision based on look, smell and general understanding of the expiration of products

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't care about the date.
    If it looks and tastes normal, I eat it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Most of the time I still eat it if its within 2 days. After that feels like it would be armageddon to my stomach

0|1
    0|0
  • If it's best before date then I would eat it unless it's something like poultry or beef. Other things I wouldn't be as careful about.

1|1
    0|0
  • On the date of expiration
    I've worked in enough restaurants and I'm learning food management safety. Trust me best safe than sorry

1|1
    0|0
  • I tend to pay very little attention to the best before date. So id eat it rather than dispose of it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Check it if it’s moody or smells bad bun it other than that it’s safe

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the product, milk and meat, yes. Snack food or most other items, no

1|1
    0|0
  • Flip it, see if it has mold and if it smells, if not, then eat it. 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't waste food. I'd only dispose it if it's starting to taste sour.

0|1
    0|0
  • Actually both mean the same thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • Eat it

0|2
    0|0
  • Depends on what it is, tbh.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the food