Is it still safe?

I bought chicken breast from the grocery store and put it In my fridge with the intention of separating it the next day and freezing it. I forgot about it and it has been about 3 days. Is it safe to eat? It was never frozen and then defrosted. I put it in the fridge after purchasing from the store.

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Please... throw that chicken breast away. For all that is holy and good, DO NOT eat it. Raw meat of any kind, if it has been out for more than 1-2 hours, and shorter than that if the weather is warm, should be immediately binned. It's not worth risking your life for a couple of dollars' worth of meat!

• it wasn't left out it was immediately refrigerated. The meat hasn't expired and the packaging is still closed. It honestly looks ok. Isn't meat refrigerated at the grocery store anyway?

• I did lol but I am curious what about meat at the grocery store? How do they keep the meat from going bad?

• I've not worked in a grocery store, so I'm not sure. What I do know is that a commercial refrigeration system is a lot more efficient at keeping things cold compared to the refrigerators in our house, which is for personal, rather than commercial, purposes. Anything built for commercial use is several times better at its function compared to the home version. Like why you can cook food really fast in a commercial stovetop compared to the one you have at home. I assume the same can be said for a commercial refrigeration system. And I do suppose that they usually throw out the meat that doesn't get bought after the Sell By date.

Most Helpful Girl

• It should be fine as long as its been in the fridge. But it needs to be eaten or frozen immediately.