How do I stop eating so fast?

I have this issue that I unconsciously eat really fast and I only notice it when I start to choke up a bit and my swallowing abilities don't match with the speed I put food in my mouth and chew. Either that or I notice afterwards that everyone has barely begun eating. Afterwards i have stomach pains because it was prolly too much too fast...

This sounds unnecessarily sexual but seriously 😂 how do i slow down?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol, you probably swallow too much air with your food too if you eat that fast, which can result in bloating and discomfort.

Have you thought about making a conscious effort to chew a particular number of times before swallowing? You don't have to go nuts but maybe try to chew at least ten times before swallowing each mouthful. It will pace it a little bit.

If that fails, we might have to wire your jaw shut and feed you through a straw up your nose.

1|0
    0|1
    • I tried this 😂 chewing at least 10 times, but i think i already chew a lot, just really quickly... Maybe I should count? Before i swallow? How much seconds pass before im supposed to swallow 😂😂😂

• In your case, about 300 😂

Most Helpful Girl

• Try eating with your nondominant hand. You can also take breaks by taking sips of water or only put a little bit on your plate then take a break before going back for more. Also never eat in front of a screen because your body doesn't realize how much you're eating until you're too full. I eat really fast too so I just get small portions

2|1
    0|0
    • I believe there has been a lot of studies about this. One other thing is to change out you dinnerware for smaller plates and stuff, proportion has a lot more to do with feeling full than you think it does.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• What I usually do is that I drink a couple of glasses of water before and then start eating. Also chew more and drink in the end.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have similar issues. Try to chew more.. good for the muscles, the taste and of course, slowing down.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol I get this 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Chew more if at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Try to drink water inbetween

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Drink a tall glass of water before eating. When your stomach is somewhat full it should signal your brain to eat a bit more slowly. Hope this helps!

3|1
    0|0
  • I used to have a friend like this, and her mom told her to eat with chopsticks. Although if you already know how to use them, I guess it might not work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Count a certain amount of chews for every bite of food

2|0
    0|0
  • Put your fork down between each bite for about 20 seconds. I used to have this problem, but I started doing that and it stopped. Good luck!!

2|0
    0|0
  • Slow down

0|0
    0|0
  • I have the opposite problem. I eat too slow.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes