How do I stop eating so fast?

I have this issue that I unconsciously eat really fast and I only notice it when I start to choke up a bit and my swallowing abilities don't match with the speed I put food in my mouth and chew. Either that or I notice afterwards that everyone has barely begun eating. Afterwards i have stomach pains because it was prolly too much too fast...

This sounds unnecessarily sexual but seriously 😂 how do i slow down?

76

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol, you probably swallow too much air with your food too if you eat that fast, which can result in bloating and discomfort.

Have you thought about making a conscious effort to chew a particular number of times before swallowing? You don't have to go nuts but maybe try to chew at least ten times before swallowing each mouthful. It will pace it a little bit.

If that fails, we might have to wire your jaw shut and feed you through a straw up your nose.

• I tried this 😂 chewing at least 10 times, but i think i already chew a lot, just really quickly... Maybe I should count? Before i swallow? How much seconds pass before im supposed to swallow 😂😂😂

• In your case, about 300 😂

Most Helpful Girl

• Try eating with your nondominant hand. You can also take breaks by taking sips of water or only put a little bit on your plate then take a break before going back for more. Also never eat in front of a screen because your body doesn't realize how much you're eating until you're too full. I eat really fast too so I just get small portions

• I believe there has been a lot of studies about this. One other thing is to change out you dinnerware for smaller plates and stuff, proportion has a lot more to do with feeling full than you think it does.