If poison expires, will it be more poisonous or less?

If poison expires, will it be more poisonous or less?

2|6

Most Helpful Guys

• That depends on what the poison is and how it is stored.
    Organic poisons
    type A - most common insecticides and herbicides
    They break down over time and eventually lose their toxicity becoming less poisonous, meaning you need a bigger dose, but you'd have to wait years after the expiration before it stopped working altogether.
    type B- They break down, but they break down into more poisonous substances.
    Some herbicides for example gradually decay and produce dioxanes, some pesticides break down when exposed to water and produce a very potent volatile nerve gas. You can usually spot these poisons because the expiration date is very short and is printed as two dates: expiration date and shelf life from date of opening.
    Inorganic- Don't break down but change chemically over time due to exposure.
    Poisons like arsenic or mercury compounds tend not to break down as such. That makes then harder to use and it also means they take longer to work. Instead of killing the animal within hours it might take days or months. The altered arscenic is often more deadly as it requires a smaller dose to be lethal but is less useful as it takes longer.

They can become less poisonous, more poisonous, but remember that poison is always poison.

3|2
    0|0
  • Good question,
    Drink it, if you didn't die that means it's not working anymore loool
    Just kidding don't do that haha

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• If sperm can die then does it produce dead babies?

Some things are just mysteries.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's a REALLY good question. You should ask a toxicologist

1|0
    0|0
  • Well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hmm interesting. Depends on the kind of substance you're talking about and how they were stored. For example. If you're talking about molds, venom, fungus or something natural left and exposed on the soil, they can break down and turns to soil making it less poisonous but if those were sealed and air tight, those can just be preserved and or worsen and spread since it creates moisture and nothing can break them down. For the chemical ones like mercury and battery acid left on the soil, those can spread underground until they hit the core or worse. Those can contaminate underwater reservoirs. I wouldn't say those go more poisonous but those spread (It don't multiply tho like bacteria). If those were sealed air tight then those can just stay like that till the seal breaks eventually.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well logic would say that you would get both poisoning and stomach poisoning at the same time a deadly conbination

1|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't have as much kick to it, but would still harm you

1|0
    0|0
  • After expiry everyone becomes cold so by applying that logic it should be less

1|0
    0|0
  • Just because it's shelf live run out doesn't mean it's not still poisonous

1|0
    0|0
  • Is hapinus Just an F. B. I. honeypot

1|0
    0|0
  • 😂😂I thought the same thing

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • ... damn

1|0
    0|0
  • Less?

1|0
    0|0
  • More poisonous.

2|0
    0|0
  • If it's old bleach the drink it. Kappa

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never heard of a poison that expired.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's still poisonous regardless

1|0
    0|0
  • where can I get some of that reefer

1|0
    0|0
  • Drunk baby Churchill is my favourite

1|0
    0|0
  • less effective

1|0
    0|0
  • Less..

1|0
    0|0
  • Well it sure can't be good to you.

1|0
    0|0
  • it becomes the elixir of life

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the poison. If you take polonium, which the Russian secret service used the last few decades, then after a few years most of the radioactive elements will have fallen apart. With other poisons it might take much longer

1|0
    0|0
    • I’m worried as to why you know this

• Show All
    • “We” 😳

• Oh no, my cover is blown! You know too much, I'll have to eliminate you now

• If you're my wife, I'd drink anything from your hands. ☺

1|0
    0|0
    • Only the best liquids for you

• Show All
    • Remind me on my next question and I’d give it to you lol. Just like between suicide and love... I’ll pick suicide oops
      I wanted to say “I rather you drink from another part of me 😉” but no idea if that makes sense... how do you like milkshakes?

• Milkshakes? Sounds yummy 😉

• oh my god

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Off of the internet:
    That depends on what the poison is and how it is stored.

Many organic poisons like most common insecticides and herbicides break down over time and eventually lose their toxicity. They become less poisonous, meaning you need a bigger dose, but you'd have to wait years after the expiration before it stopped working altogether.

Some organic poisons have an expiry date for exactly the opposite reason. They break down, but they break down into more poisonous substances. Some herbicides for example gradually decay and produce dioxanes, some pesticides break down when exposed to water and produce a very potent volatile nerve gas. You can usually spot these poisons because the expiration date is very short and is printed as two dates: expiration date and shelf life from date of opening.

The inorganic poisons like arsenic or mercury compounds tend not to break down as such. They have expiration dates because they absorb moisture from the air and change form chemically. That makes then harder to use and it also means they take longer to work. Instead of killing the animal within hours it might take days or months. Ironically the chemically altered form of arsenic is often more deadly insofar as it requires a smaller dose to be lethal. It's just less useful because it takes a long time to act.

So the answer is, it can become less poisonous, it can become more poisonous, but poison is always poison.

1|1
    0|0
  • Exactly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Less potent maybe

1|1
    0|0
    • Aren’t you a scientist? You should know 😛

• @Toad-1 lol. it's hard to say. it might become less potent as a poison but maybe in the process of its decay, it's forming toxic metabolites.

• Depends on the circumstances.

1|0
    0|0
  • Expired poison is what atomic bombs are made of.

1|0
    0|0
  • It always depends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol less I think

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes