If poison expires, will it be more poisonous or less?

928

Most Helpful Guys

• That depends on what the poison is and how it is stored.
    Organic poisons
    type A - most common insecticides and herbicides
    They break down over time and eventually lose their toxicity becoming less poisonous, meaning you need a bigger dose, but you'd have to wait years after the expiration before it stopped working altogether.
    type B- They break down, but they break down into more poisonous substances.
    Some herbicides for example gradually decay and produce dioxanes, some pesticides break down when exposed to water and produce a very potent volatile nerve gas. You can usually spot these poisons because the expiration date is very short and is printed as two dates: expiration date and shelf life from date of opening.
    Inorganic- Don't break down but change chemically over time due to exposure.
    Poisons like arsenic or mercury compounds tend not to break down as such. That makes then harder to use and it also means they take longer to work. Instead of killing the animal within hours it might take days or months. The altered arscenic is often more deadly as it requires a smaller dose to be lethal but is less useful as it takes longer.

They can become less poisonous, more poisonous, but remember that poison is always poison.

• Good question,
    Drink it, if you didn't die that means it's not working anymore loool
    Just kidding don't do that haha

Most Helpful Girls