What are some good road trip foods?

Going on a 14 hour road trip in a week. What kind of foods do you like bringing on road trips? Chips of course, but what else?

2|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Anything but mayonnaise sandwiches. About 20 years ago, my friend and I went on a road trip and all he brought with him was a bag of disgusting mayonnaise sandwiches. They smelled so fucking bad that as soon as he fell asleep in the car, I threw them out the window while I was doing about 85mph on the interstate.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 49

• Chips
    Bbq peanuts
    Ham sandwichs
    Water, drinks like coke or sprite
    Cucumbers with packs of salt and pepper
    Pickles in a zip lock
    Olives too if you like
    Fruits cut up. Pineapple and watermelon, apple and bannas

I tend to really like tangy sour flavours like pickles cause of the motion and long drive. I find the salt and sour taste keeps my tummy in good shape

1|0
    0|0
    • Fruits are a really good idea. Sandwiches and drinks too. Olives I'm not a fan of but the other 2 might like

• Ya 😛
      Pretzels
      Cut up carrots and celery with dip
      Rice crackers
      Crackers

• Simple and easy things to handle.
    Personally I like trail mix. Dried fruits (I don't care for bananas or dried apples), jerky, and small slider sandwiches (two or three bites each).

Try to stay away from bananas while driving. They can make you tired and put you to sleep. The high amount of potassium and magnesium are muscle relaxants. They also contain tryptophan, that gets converted to serotonin and melatonin, which is also a relaxant.

2|0
    0|0
  • Chips of course? Sorry, no. Chips are the worst sort of snack -- they taste like protein but have none, leave you hungry, and make you fat. We pack nuts and fruit for road trips and hikes. Soft fruit is too fragile. Apples, oranges, bananas and grapes travel pretty well.

2|0
    1|0
  • Lol! Granola bars, Chex mix, m&ms, beef jurky. Peanut butter and jelly... lots of liquid!!! Lol! I am shore there is more... I just can’t think of it at the moment... hah! Oh cheese!! And cream cheese!! And umm... I don’t know! I’ll get back to you!! Haha!!

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm a fan of Sour Patch Kids, Pringles, Skittles, banana chips, Gold Fish, granola bars, trail mix/nuts. I also like to have some fruit and veggies like snap peas, carrots, and apples because day-to-day I eat really healthy, so after a bit of time eating only junk food I start feeling like crap.

Also coffee? Lots of coffee!

0|0
    0|0
  • I bring jerky. Lots and lots and lots of jerky. I also pack protein bars and dehydrated watermelon. The watermelon when dehydrated is as sweet as candy. You need a ton of watermelon though as they are 90% water! Other things are the spray cheddar cheese in a can and chips or wheat thins or any cracker really. Squirt some cheese whiz in your mouth grab a few crackers etc from a bowl and munch the cheese and stuff in your mouth. It helps if you have a copilot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bananas, crackers, PB & J, Granola bars. Things that can go all day without being refrigerated are good. Things with salt are also good if it's a hot day. You're going to sweat wothout even moving especially if the car is full, so you'll feel a lot better if you keep yourself hydrated and put some sodium back into your system

1|0
    0|0
  • Sandwich, snacks, an apple, banana, grapes.. Never failed for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Protein bars and trail mix. We bring a cooler along in the car for cold drinks. Or stop of every few hours. Cereal like Cracklin Oat Bran. I would do celery and carrots, and fresh fruits that aren’t super messy. apples yes, peaches no.

0|0
    0|0
  • What about candy, just cause it's not the healthiest doesn't mean it isn't good, I love twizzlers on a road trip but if u want to be healthy and have some chocolate or something trail mixes come with all sorts of different choices

1|1
    0|0
  • Whiskey, vodka, gin, rum, beer...
    Nah but yano, if one or two people want to be the designated drivers and everyone else can get a good buzz or tipsy on, might be a good idea.
    I'd say avoid weed or anything cuz it would end up getting the driver high.
    As for normal foods, bread and like 2 litre bottles of coke or whatever other drink. Fruit maybe, water too.

0|0
    0|0
  • So lucky! I've wanted to do that all summer. Is it going to you and some friends?

1|0
    0|0
    • Yep, dropping my boyfriend off in Minnesota at his college. Taking along another one of our friends tío

• Show All
    • THEN YOU CAN HAVE COLD SODA AND CHOCOLATE!

• Very true!!

• Beetroot
    Beef stew or goulash
    And blackberries juice.
    Also, mangoes are easy and clean to handle. More so than chocolate bars.
    Have a nice trip, heeheehee!

0|0
    0|0
  • Things that don't leave crumbs, bite sized, nuts, jerky, food bars (cereal/candy), (taco/salad) food bowls.

0|0
    0|0
  • gummy candies, hi-chew, mentos, any single packaged entenmann's pastry

0|0
    0|0
  • These are real good for road trips in the car Wheat Thins and cheddar cheese squirts from the can and there's always beef jerky

0|0
    0|0
  • baby carrots, apples, chips are ok but then you need lot's of water bottles.

1|0
    0|0
  • Bring a guy and suck all his testastrone out of him, during the trip :)

0|1
    2|1
  • PB&J, soda for long drives, and LOTS of snacks. Mostly all snack foods like crackers and cheese, stuff that isn't hard to eat while driving

0|0
    0|0
  • Energy bars, trail mix , things like that, maybe pack a sandwich

0|0
    0|0
  • Surstromming! I dare you!

1|1
    0|0
    • What this be?

• It is a traditional food from Sweden and Finland. It is often referred to as the world's smelliest food... Just one wiff of that and everyone in the car will have something to talk/complain about the whole trip. No awkward silence!

• Slim jims, a lot of slim jims.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes yes... I must agree here... This goes on the list...

• Anything with complex carbs.

1|0
    0|0
  • Rice balls

2|0
    0|0
  • Jolly Ranchers.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nuts, dried fruit. Lots of calories and nutrients.

1|0
    0|0
  • Jerky.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lasagna

1|1
    0|1
  • a punnet of fresh strawberries

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything unhealthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 35

• Candyyy

1|0
    1|0
  • Trailmix, popcorn, bananas apples oranges, canned pineapple/peaches, If you bring a small cooler and stop for ice every 2 days you can have things like cheese, yogurt, maybe sandwich meat for a day ( as a lunch and dinner). Or if you bring a little camper burner you can. Have oatmeal, ramen, pasta, burgers you pick up that day etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • A healthy option would be veggies and dip or sandwiches
    Umm granola bars, cookies, crackers, gum...

1|0
    0|0
    • Hmm dip is hard on road trip when driving

• Show All
    • Lmaoo 6$ for a drink could buy 6 fast food sandwiches. But we're going to picnic at waterfalls on our way. Wanna get foods like thst

• Trail. Mix is a great idea, healthy and tasty

• Jack links Beef jerky , raw almonds, fresh fruit and vegetables like, apples and oranges and carrot or celery sticks with pb. Lunchables are cool too and cans of chicken noodle soup. remember to take lots of water and stay away from super greasy or sugary stuff that will give you diarrhea or indigestion because it's a real bitch finding a bathroom on the road.

0|0
    0|0
  • healthy almond nuts, . Almonds are a source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium, and high-quality protein; they also contain high levels of healthy unsaturated fatty acids along with high levels of bioactive molecules (such as fiber, phytosterols, vitamins, other minerals, and antioxidants), which may help prevent cardiovascular disease.

1|0
    0|0
  • Those dark chocolate covered espresso (coffee) beans from Trader Joe's are really great for staying awake on long road trips.

0|0
    0|0
  • Gold fish!! Ramen, but what I do is I crush it up and eat it like chips. It tastes good... also veggie sticks they’re so good (none of these are healthy though😭) I don’t really know anything besides snacks since I haven’t been on many road trips within my short life

1|0
    0|0
  • Drinks for sure, Such as Tea, Cola, Juice, Coffee. Water is a Plus. And Maybe not even From Home, But from a Quick Stop that has Everything under the Sun, hun, To Plop... In that Bag to Go. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Beef jerky if you eat meat, or protein bars. Swedish fish are also a nice sweet treat

1|0
    0|0
  • Omg Funyuns, Arizona drinks, trail mix, jerky, CHOCOLATE... Granola bars, Cheezits Tabasco flavored.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like fruits like apples because they dont bruise easily and there's no peel to throw away. I usually keep a small cooler with chopsticks. Slim Jim's are good.

1|0
    0|0
  • Fruit. It can be easy to forget to eat healthy when traveling. And the trip won’t be very fun if you get sick.

0|0
    0|0
  • My family always takes licorice. My favorites are chex mix, pretzels, and m&ms.

1|0
    0|0
  • Beef jerky! Sandwiches! Popcorn! Gummies! And edibles! ;-)... lots of vitamin water.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fruit
    Vegetables
    Sandwiches
    Ice cream
    Pastries
    Etc

0|0
    0|0
  • Sandwhiches
    Chips
    Fruit snacks
    Granola bars
    Rice Krispie treats

1|0
    0|0
  • Curry lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Fruits and vegetables, and Diet Coke

1|0
    0|0
  • Bread.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything that doesn't need a microwave

1|0
    0|0
  • Sandwiches/wraps, fruits

1|0
    0|0
  • coffee is a must, don't eat chips.

0|0
    0|0
  • The little variety cereal boxes

0|0
    0|0
  • Granola bars/ crackers/ some mixed nuts. XD

0|0
    0|0
  • Crackers, Pop Tarts , cookies.

1|0
    0|0
  • Granola bars

0|0
    0|0
  • Fruit, nuts, bottle water, Chex mix, popcorn,

0|0
    0|0
  • Lunchables, drinks, candy

0|0
    0|0
  • Vodka

0|0
    0|1
  • water, cola, chips, sandwich, grit cuber :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes