How to eat healthier?

I love meats and cheeses but understand it's not the healthiest way to eat. I exercise 5-6 hours a week but I think I'm hitting the limit on how much it's helping me be healthy based on my blood pressure reading from today. Any tips on transitioning from a meatatarian to incorporating more vegetables in my meals? And how to keep it going long term? Thanks!

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• Meats and cheeses are avialable options in the Keto diet. It's designed around eating mostly fats and less carbs so your body gets trained to burn more fat than carb.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• I've read that getting in tip-top shape is about 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I'm not sure about that ratio, but I believe that all the exercise in the world won't help if what you're putting into your body is unhealthy.

I eat meat and rarely cheeses, but they're never the stars of my meals. I try to incorporate a 50% vegetables, 30% carbs, 20% protein on my plate for every meal. I'm not sure what sort of exercise or sports you do, but if you're into strength training and you're trying to bulk up, or you're into sports that require a lot of running around, acceleration/deceleration, physical aggression, etc. please don't drastically cut carbs out of your meals. Carbs are what will give you the energy to do all of that. (I can't imagine playing a full 90-minutes of soccer without carbs, for example) And obviously, our brains need carb (glycogen) to function optimally. All carbs are not created equal, so choose complex carbs rather than refined carbs.

If the problem is blood pressure, I would suggest cutting down on how much sodium you're ingesting. Cooking with a touch of sea salt is perfectly fine. The insidious thing about sodium is that it's hidden in a LOT of things - cured meat, sausages, pies, fries, pizza sauce, chips, and yes, cheese has high sodium as well.

Try going for lean cuts of meat, like breast meat, and other cuts of the meat that have less fat. This will provide you the protein you need while cutting down on your fat intake. Choose healthy fat like from fish, avocadoes, etc.

As for vegetables, I'm not sure what sort of vegetables you like. I read a study once that showed, on average, when it came to vegetables, women usually consumed more than men, but men consumed more asparagus and Brussel sprouts than women. So you could go with those two. I would suggest that you go for more leafy veg (rather than sticking only to root vegetables) as well, like spinach, bok choy, kale, etc. Add spices that you like, or light sauces. Try cooking them with other veg and in several ways. Brussel sprouts taste really good when paired with sweet potato and baked in an oven, etc.

You don't have to make wholesale changes to your diet right away. It's more about making small, incremental changes until you find one that works for you. Think of it as a holistic change in your diet, and you're taking small, manageable steps to achieve that.

Best of luck, mate!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes