How to eat healthier without losing weight?

I eat pretty healthy, I love fruits and vegetables and eat a lot of them. However, those don't give a lot of calories. So I also eat tons of candy, pizza, chocolate and the like.

I'm skinny - on the edge of underweight - so I don't want to lose weight. I have trouble eating enough already as I have a small appetite.

I want to try to eat less sugar, to improve my energy and skin and to protect my teeth and such.

Does anyone have tips on how to eat less sugar/junk WITHOUT losing weight?
Im vegetarian by the way

1726

Most Helpful Guys

• Fruits already give you a decent amount of calories along with being a source of high-fiber (complex) carbs. High-fiber carb sources including sugars aren't necessarily bad as the fiber causes you to digest them slowly (doesn't contribute negatively to insulin resistance, e. g.). Fruits with some fat content also tend to be pretty high in calories, like avocados and coconut.

For me fats tend to actually be my arch-nemesis among whole, unprocessed sorts of foods, since I can easily gain some weight (in the form of undesirable body fat) from those. Unsalted almonds might be pretty nutritious for you but give me a bag of those and I can snack and eat the entire bag in one day without eating any less for my meals and easily get over 1000kcal extra that day. So you might incorporate some healthy fats like those (mixed nuts, e. g.) if your goal is to gain or at least avoid losing weight.

Aside from fruits, for carbs, whole grains can give you plenty of calories. Main thing I'd look for with those is fiber content (ex: whole wheat bread instead of white bread). Beans and lentils are also a pretty great source of carbs (as well as a decent source of protein) that can give you plenty of calories.

And finally lean meats tend to be a very good source of protein. It's actually difficult to get a boatload of calories from very lean protein sources, but you can get enough usually. And with salmon it's high in fat (not a very lean protein source), but specifically omega-3 fatty acids, which is very important for your body.

If you have chocolate cravings, what I'd try is to gradually work your way towards darker chocolate with higher and higher percentage of cacao (ex: all the way to 90%+). That'll make the chocolate increasingly bitter but lower in calories, and in limited quantities, such dark chocolate is actually said to be quite good for you. It's an acquired taste to go so dark though, so you might work your way up gradually.

• Wish I knew what to tell you, I'm just happy to not be underweight. 6'1" 125 lbs. My go to method of gaining weight is eating a lot of burgers, but fastfood gets expensive. I've been trying to eat out a lot less, mostly since I've been broke af for a while. Rice and pastas are really good for calories and so are most breakfast foods (cereal, bagels, yogurt, eggs, etc.). Chicken and fish are really healthy meats singe they're lean on fat while having good protein and calorie levels, making them especially good for building muscle. And then fruits and vegetables are of course extremely important.

Tbh candy doesn't give much calories, mostly just lots of sugar.

Most Helpful Girls

• Vitamins sometimes prevent you from losing weight, other times it make you gain.
    Maybe whenever you eat meat, you can get something with a nice amount of fat on it ☺️
    Also, if you eat collard greens & some kind of sweet bread together as a light meal two or three days a week, you definitely shouldn’t be losing anymore weight 😂 and when I say collard greens I mean the good, oily, southern kind with bacon and/or turkey neck meat

• Update: You should have said that in the beginning 😂 just do the vitamins... but you should probably just see your doctor about that.
      There’s nothing wrong with being underweight. You’re healthy. You’ll be fine, as long as you’re not passing out or something like that.

• I get really tired and easily faint whenever my weight drops more than 3 lbs from my current weight. Also my face tends to start looking like a skull.

• There might be something going on In your boood

• Finally! Someone with the same problem as me! I decided to cut 90% of sugar out and saw fat coming off, so I started eating bad foods again. This isn’t conventional advice at all, full disclosure. But do you ever hear really old people talk about eating bacon everyday? That’s because there’s a difference in what we eat today and what they ate back then. Their food was less processed with less chemicals. But free range chicken, cage free eggs, and organic produce. Use fatty oils like olive and avocado or even ghee. I’ve found it’s easy to eat less sugar when I’m eating whole food. It’s filling and high in calories, so you won’t have to worry about your weight.