How to eat healthier without losing weight?

I eat pretty healthy, I love fruits and vegetables and eat a lot of them. However, those don't give a lot of calories. So I also eat tons of candy, pizza, chocolate and the like.

I'm skinny - on the edge of underweight - so I don't want to lose weight. I have trouble eating enough already as I have a small appetite.

I want to try to eat less sugar, to improve my energy and skin and to protect my teeth and such.

Does anyone have tips on how to eat less sugar/junk WITHOUT losing weight?
Updates:
Im vegetarian by the way

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Fruits already give you a decent amount of calories along with being a source of high-fiber (complex) carbs. High-fiber carb sources including sugars aren't necessarily bad as the fiber causes you to digest them slowly (doesn't contribute negatively to insulin resistance, e. g.). Fruits with some fat content also tend to be pretty high in calories, like avocados and coconut.

For me fats tend to actually be my arch-nemesis among whole, unprocessed sorts of foods, since I can easily gain some weight (in the form of undesirable body fat) from those. Unsalted almonds might be pretty nutritious for you but give me a bag of those and I can snack and eat the entire bag in one day without eating any less for my meals and easily get over 1000kcal extra that day. So you might incorporate some healthy fats like those (mixed nuts, e. g.) if your goal is to gain or at least avoid losing weight.

Aside from fruits, for carbs, whole grains can give you plenty of calories. Main thing I'd look for with those is fiber content (ex: whole wheat bread instead of white bread). Beans and lentils are also a pretty great source of carbs (as well as a decent source of protein) that can give you plenty of calories.

And finally lean meats tend to be a very good source of protein. It's actually difficult to get a boatload of calories from very lean protein sources, but you can get enough usually. And with salmon it's high in fat (not a very lean protein source), but specifically omega-3 fatty acids, which is very important for your body.

If you have chocolate cravings, what I'd try is to gradually work your way towards darker chocolate with higher and higher percentage of cacao (ex: all the way to 90%+). That'll make the chocolate increasingly bitter but lower in calories, and in limited quantities, such dark chocolate is actually said to be quite good for you. It's an acquired taste to go so dark though, so you might work your way up gradually.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wish I knew what to tell you, I'm just happy to not be underweight. 6'1" 125 lbs. My go to method of gaining weight is eating a lot of burgers, but fastfood gets expensive. I've been trying to eat out a lot less, mostly since I've been broke af for a while. Rice and pastas are really good for calories and so are most breakfast foods (cereal, bagels, yogurt, eggs, etc.). Chicken and fish are really healthy meats singe they're lean on fat while having good protein and calorie levels, making them especially good for building muscle. And then fruits and vegetables are of course extremely important.

Tbh candy doesn't give much calories, mostly just lots of sugar.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Vitamins sometimes prevent you from losing weight, other times it make you gain.
    Maybe whenever you eat meat, you can get something with a nice amount of fat on it ☺️
    Also, if you eat collard greens & some kind of sweet bread together as a light meal two or three days a week, you definitely shouldn’t be losing anymore weight 😂 and when I say collard greens I mean the good, oily, southern kind with bacon and/or turkey neck meat

0|0
    0|0
    • Update: You should have said that in the beginning 😂 just do the vitamins... but you should probably just see your doctor about that.
      There’s nothing wrong with being underweight. You’re healthy. You’ll be fine, as long as you’re not passing out or something like that.

• I get really tired and easily faint whenever my weight drops more than 3 lbs from my current weight. Also my face tends to start looking like a skull.

• There might be something going on In your boood

• Finally! Someone with the same problem as me! I decided to cut 90% of sugar out and saw fat coming off, so I started eating bad foods again. This isn’t conventional advice at all, full disclosure. But do you ever hear really old people talk about eating bacon everyday? That’s because there’s a difference in what we eat today and what they ate back then. Their food was less processed with less chemicals. But free range chicken, cage free eggs, and organic produce. Use fatty oils like olive and avocado or even ghee. I’ve found it’s easy to eat less sugar when I’m eating whole food. It’s filling and high in calories, so you won’t have to worry about your weight.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• Any man who has ever tried to gain weight by way of strength training should be able to help you out.

Just to start you off, and you'll find more information online, you can go for avocados, peanut butter, bananas, bread dipped in olive oil, whole-grain bread, dark chocolate, milk.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Being vegetarian is making you so skinny
    2. If you eat healthy and young EAT A LOT, I have that same contrition and I just cannot gain weight even if I eat everything I can and more
    3. Do exercise.. yes it sound contradictory but if you make your body need energy you'll always be hungry and you will eat more as a consequence.

Pd: eating sugar isn't wrong, stop paying attention to stupid publicity lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Tons of carbohydrates: bread, cereal, potatoes, rice, etc. More proteins and regular exercise. Since plant proteins are naturally lower in fat, and plant lipids metabolize better than animal fats, you'll probably need to work out to transform the proteins into muscle mass. You don't need to bulk up. Do aerobic exercise and/or low weight, high repetition anaerobic exercise. Cheese is a good way to add fats and proteins. Eggs are too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Get carbs and fibers and all vitamins your body needs to maintain weight and strenght such as Vit D, B, E etc... Get your daily intake of Calcium as well as Magnesium... and if u still feel weak or losing weight its not wrong to take meds such as vitamines tho:)

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to include proper proteins in your diet, I'm not vegetarian so I'm sure there are more but things like beans, nuts and soy are a good source.

Same boat and I'm not vegetarian eating junk never stays on though.

0|0
    0|0
  • A kebab a day keeps the anorexia away ;-D
    Oh wait... healthier? how about the kind of proteins that fitness buffs consume? or eggs? (or just the white thereof).

0|0
    0|0
  • its probably the loads of vegetables... they tend to keep you full and are very low in calories

incorporate beans, potatoes, pasta... dense calories

0|0
    0|0
  • You might want to see a physician. I have a friend who suffers from an ailment where he has to eat a minimum of 6000 calories per day just to maintain his current weight (6'2, 155 lbs.)

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat a lot of carbs. Carbs are not only in junk food. If you really want to learn how to improve your weight don't talk to random strangers on here. Contact a dietician or a nutritionist to here more accurate answers

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people are like that. I was like that too up until I reached my late 40's. That may be part of your biological makeup. However, have you ever been test for diabetes or had your thyroid tested?

0|0
    0|0
    • Yep, I've got quite low blood sugar and my thyroid is fine.

I have meds (for adhd) that have nausea as a side effect.

• Keep an eye on your thyroid, it took them several years before they caught mine.

• Nuts and meat. Channel you're inner stone age self.

0|1
    1|0
  • Wow... I've never heard of someone who WANTS the weight AND the healty food. All i can think of is just eating more

0|0
    0|0
  • I will never understand why people want to eat healthier.
    All the healthy things are the things who taste like crap

0|0
    0|0
    • You have a very underdeveloped palate maybe worse then a toddler

• Show All
    • When I was a Child I was always forced to eat healthy things and I never liked them. Now I don't eat this any longer

• It's nothing new to eat vegetables and fruits.

• If you eat healthier nutrition your body is going to process it more efficiently, so you'll lose weight. Carbohydrates are really the only form of nutrition that contributes to visual body fat, so you'll have to add enough fat and protein to your diet that your body can use as energy and then add in a load of carbohydrates. Unfortunately, if you don't eat meat, you'll have to resort to things like oils, butters and cheeses for your fat and protein intake, which can be worse for your cardiovascular system than meat. Anyways, you'll have to eat enough fat and protein to sustain energy and add in an unnecessary amount of unhealthy carbohydrates to gain weight, but that is bad advice.

0|0
    0|0
  • simple.. u replace the empty calories with healthy calories

0|0
    0|0
  • Eats lots of pasta and potatoes and grain.

0|1
    0|0
  • eat according to your calories limit

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you consume eggs?

0|0
    0|0
  • Dry Fruits, dairy products

0|0
    0|0
  • Not eating fast food

0|0
    0|0
  • Start eatting veggie burgers😁

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop being a vegan

0|0
    0|0
  • Protein powder bro

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep eating. Eating actually keeps you regular, people don't realize that.. the ones who think "not eating" helps lose weight, are in the wrong mindset.

You can work out, and eat well, but, NEVER stop eating. Keep eating. In fact they say, the correct diet, is based on 2000 calories, a day

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 15

• Add some healthy oils, like coconut oil. I put a teaspoon in my coffee. It tastes nice and is very healthy. Or put some extra butter on toast. If you buy good quality butter it's very healthy. Eat some more eggs, avocados. Stuff like pasta and bread is the easiest to make a person gain weight.

1|0
    0|0
  • Eat carbs!! Like loads of carbs. Sugar makes you pretty fat, too but it's not good for your body. Bread, pasta all of it. Ooh! And plenty of rice. Cut down on a bit of protein (increase carbs) till you reach your happy body weight.😊 And when you do, text me and we'll talk about how awesome you are for getting at your goal weight!

1|0
    0|0
  • Healthy doesn't mean just vegetables and fruits. It means eating a little from everything. And if you want to gain weight you should try soy meat or something to replace meat since you are vegetarian. Eat eggs too. You need protein and there is no way you can get that much from vegetables

1|0
    0|0
  • Less fried food, less sweet drink, less alcohol. Later on you can 100% cut them, by doing so, you will get healthier.

0|0
    1|0
    • Whenever I do that, I start losing weight. How can I prevent that?

• If you losing weight because of this, you are losing fat, which is good. Now you need to work on your core muscle, it would add up your weight and at the same time make you look not fitted as nice shape.

• Hi, super late reaction, but: my face is looking too skinny because I lost too much fat. I'm fine on muscle, I have abs and such, but I needed a bit more fat too.

It's quite the opposite of what most people struggle with I guess :p

• There are a lot of healthy caloric dense foods around... first I would track your calorie intake against your weight loss to better gauge how many calories you need to consume in order to maintain your weight... utilizing good fats and animal protein should be able to keep up your calorie intake. I must say im quite envious as I have the opposing problem, I probably know too much about calories proteins and the like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Instead of focusing on sugar content, focus on calorie intake. There are a few apps thst can help keep track of how many calories you're eating so you're not under what will keep your weight at what it is :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Shit i was going to suggest eating lots of red meat since its relatively healthy and full of calories. Hmmm healthy foods with a lot of calories... maybe whole wheat bread, rice, avocado, yogurt, eggs, milk, etc. i suggest eating lots of rice. Its great for you and will not make you lose weight. Very high calorie as well

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat 2000 calories and make sure you're getting your proteins and healthy fats. Beans, tofu, meat substitutes, avocado, etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • oops.. i was going make a suggestion, but you said you are a Vegetarian... there is your problem since you are already skinny...

you need non-plant protein...

0|0
    0|0

• Nuts: Almonds , walnuts , macadamia nuts, peanuts , etc.
    Dried fruit: Raisins, dates, prunes and others. High-fat dairy: Whole milk, full-fat yogurt , cheese , cream. Fats and Oils: Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil. Grains: Whole grains like oats and brown rice. And some protein.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat pasta and lots of cheese. These are healthy and help in gaining weight. Also eat potatoes as they're also very healthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat more carbs, such as bread and rice, and lots of protein, like meat (or beans if you’re vegan/vegetarian).

0|0
    0|0
  • PROTIEN baby!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you should add meat into your diet.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just eat MORE of the healthy stuff to make up for the junk you’re not eating...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes