Is it animal cruelty when vegans refuse to feed their pet dogs and cats meat?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
    Vote C
Well we all agree that it's animal cruelty and that they should have their pets taken from them.

1018

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not because dogs are omnivores and they can get everything they need from plants. My dog loves fruits and vegetables. So if anything, it's kinda animal cruelty to feel your dog the meat that's considered "waste product" to the animal ag. industry. A lot of dogs who have numerous allergies are pretty much vegan. Even if your dog doesn't have allergies, it's not cruelty to feed them fruits and vegetables

One of the world's oldest dogs was vegan:
    v-dog.com/.../bramble-the-collies-secrets-to-living-to-age-25

• The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris when considered a subspecies of the gray wolf or Canis familiaris when considered a distinct species) is a member of the genus Canis (canines), which forms part of the wolf-like canids, and is the most widely abundant terrestrial carnivore. The dog and the extant gray wolf are sister taxa as modern wolves are not closely related to the wolves that were first domesticated, which implies that the direct ancestor of the dog is extinct. The dog was the first species to be domesticated and has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviors, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.

• "Contrary to what some believe, dogs are not wolves. And one of the major genetic differences between dogs and wolves is that dogs have evolved to better digest starches (carbohydrates) than wolves. Dogs are more accurately classified as omnivores than carnivores where cats are obligate carnivores. Therefore, dogs can thrive on a monitored vegan diet, but cats cannot as they need specific nutrients found in cat food with animal products, like taurine and arachidonic acid."

• Also, replying to your update, that is an appeal to consensus logical fallacy. Doesn't matter what every bobjoe out there thinks. That's irrelevant. Science shows dogs can be healthy on a vegan diet

Most Helpful Guys

• Within a few years, PC culture will decide that it is animal cruelty to even own cats and dogs as pets and that they should all be set free so that we can afford them their due dignity and respect. Of course, if we do that with dogs and cats, most of them will die of malnutrition or disease. Those that do survive will revert to feral habits and perhaps even become dangerous to humans, but PC culture does not have enough depth to contemplate long term consequences.

• Dogs are omnivores like many of you have said, so they eat both plants and meat. The problem comes when we force our human ideology on our dogs. They don't care where the meat comes from, they don''t think like we do. All dogs love meat, and that's because it's what we have fed them for thousounds of years. I could not take meat out of my dogs diet, He loves it.