Is it animal cruelty when vegans refuse to feed their pet dogs and cats meat?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Maybe
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Well we all agree that it's animal cruelty and that they should have their pets taken from them.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not because dogs are omnivores and they can get everything they need from plants. My dog loves fruits and vegetables. So if anything, it's kinda animal cruelty to feel your dog the meat that's considered "waste product" to the animal ag. industry. A lot of dogs who have numerous allergies are pretty much vegan. Even if your dog doesn't have allergies, it's not cruelty to feed them fruits and vegetables

One of the world's oldest dogs was vegan:
    v-dog.com/.../bramble-the-collies-secrets-to-living-to-age-25

0|0
    1|1
    • The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris when considered a subspecies of the gray wolf or Canis familiaris when considered a distinct species) is a member of the genus Canis (canines), which forms part of the wolf-like canids, and is the most widely abundant terrestrial carnivore. The dog and the extant gray wolf are sister taxa as modern wolves are not closely related to the wolves that were first domesticated, which implies that the direct ancestor of the dog is extinct. The dog was the first species to be domesticated and has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviors, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.

• "Contrary to what some believe, dogs are not wolves. And one of the major genetic differences between dogs and wolves is that dogs have evolved to better digest starches (carbohydrates) than wolves. Dogs are more accurately classified as omnivores than carnivores where cats are obligate carnivores. Therefore, dogs can thrive on a monitored vegan diet, but cats cannot as they need specific nutrients found in cat food with animal products, like taurine and arachidonic acid."

• Also, replying to your update, that is an appeal to consensus logical fallacy. Doesn't matter what every bobjoe out there thinks. That's irrelevant. Science shows dogs can be healthy on a vegan diet

Most Helpful Guys

• Within a few years, PC culture will decide that it is animal cruelty to even own cats and dogs as pets and that they should all be set free so that we can afford them their due dignity and respect. Of course, if we do that with dogs and cats, most of them will die of malnutrition or disease. Those that do survive will revert to feral habits and perhaps even become dangerous to humans, but PC culture does not have enough depth to contemplate long term consequences.

1|4
    1|0
  • Dogs are omnivores like many of you have said, so they eat both plants and meat. The problem comes when we force our human ideology on our dogs. They don't care where the meat comes from, they don''t think like we do. All dogs love meat, and that's because it's what we have fed them for thousounds of years. I could not take meat out of my dogs diet, He loves it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• Especially cats. Dogs are omnivorous like us so if you are careful you can keep a dog healthy on a vegetarian diet, but you need to do your research. Cats on the other hand are strictly carnivorous and do NOT have the enzymes in their digestive tracts to break down vegetables and will get very sick and eventually die on a vegetarian diet.

1|1
    0|1
    • Sounds like animal cruelty

• It is animal cruelty. I'm just pointing out that the consequence of forcing such a diet on our pets have higher and more immediate consequences for cats. I wouldn't recommend anyone force a dog to be vegan either, but a dog is less likely to die from it.

• Yes, as dogs and cats (especially cats) require meat in their diets to stay healthy. Neither of them are 100% omnivorous, and certainly not herbivorous. I know that cats shouldn't be on a vegetarian diet at all, let alone a vegan one.

Dogs could probably manage better, but I don't believe it is healthy for them in the long run. Dogs are generally omnivorous, but they lean towards being carnivorous. Look at their teeth if you don't believe me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is. Dogs and cats need meat to, you know, live. They can't subside on vegan food.

0|1
    0|0
    • Actually, you're wrong. Dogs can subside on vegan food:
      "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs."

• @0asis All right, but a vegan diet for fogs needs to be very carefully monitored and controlled. You can feed a dog a vegetarian diet, but it’s not something you do lightly and you definitely need to do it with a nutritionist.

Cats, by contrast, are obligate carnivores whose systems are not built to subside on plant nutrients; they need specific nutrients found in animal products, like taurine and arachidonic acid.

• Yeah, of course. Doesn't mean a vegan diet is unhealthy or bad for a dog. It's not animal abuse, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Yeah, no shit. Cats are carnivores, I never said they weren't. I would never feed a cat a vegan diet. Plus, the cats we have hunt birds and mice so it would be pointless.

• Yes, they are carnivores. It's like feeding lettuce to lions

0|1
    0|0
  • yes because it is natural for animals to eat other living things

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, dont drag ur pet down with urself

1|4
    0|0
    • "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs.

Additionally, the only reason their dog is getting these amino acids is because the animal that they're feeding to their dog (the cow, chicken, etc) ate plants. Most animals killed and used for meat-based dog foods are fed antibiotics and medications throughout their life. This all ends up meat-based dog foods. Much of the meat in the dog food industry is deemed unfit for human consumption. They use the meat that is diseased and sitting around. These animals are also stressed before they are slaughtered, so the stress hormones end up in the flesh that your dog eats."

• Yes, Dogs are obligate carnivores.

0|1
    0|0
    • Wrong. Dogs are actually omnivores

• Show All
    • LOL no it isn't. "vegan propaganda" isn't a thing. Here's another source that states dogs can thrive on a vegan diet: www.petmd.com/.../can-dogs-stay-healthy-on-a-vegetarian-diet-31188

Yeah, there's claims to both sides but vegan diets have unbiased scientific studies, whereas the standard diet doesn't.

• @0asis
      If you can't see the obviously snarky wording of that source, that clearly tries to demonise the opposition, then I dunno what to tell you.
      Please continue justifying torturing dogs to someone else, I'm not interested.

• No it is not cruelty

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
    • It's not though. When you give your dog standard dog food, the meat used is diseased and sitting around, basically garbage meat. So that sounds pretty cruel feeding your dog diseased meat

"Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs."
      v-dog. com/.../bramble-the-collies-secrets-to-living-to-age-25

• Show All
    • You're welcome! 😄

What Guys Said 16

• Well I don't ever recall domesticated dog's ancestors (aka wolves) being herbivores, so why try to change that? It becomes silly when people try to force their tendencies on other things, and change evolutionary history

0|2
    0|0
  • People gotta understand, that eating meat isn't animal cruelty.
    Animal cruelty is how the meat factories treat these animals before being killed and when they're killed and how much of them are
    The dead meat don't matter, the living one does.
    So I eat meat because it's our nature to, and I need it, and there's no reviving it.
    And what I do care about is that in the future those factories will kill less animals at once since half goes or to waist or to really unhealthy people who don't need it since they're eating about their weight, and that the factories will give the animals a better environment, stop using hormones and over all treat them better, because with all do respect of the common belief, animals aren't "just food", and some people just abuse the fact we're at the top of the food chain and give it as an excuse to all of the horrible be things they do...

If we're already talking about other animals in the food chain, lets go with lions, because with all of their bad reputation, they at least have some honor, and respect and dignity...
    Lions, unlike other cats, kill only when they're threatened/need to eat/need to show dominance (only in rare cases since they're enormous!), And they don't just kill the whole herd, cause they're smart, they know exactly how much food they need, they take it and let the pray reproduce to still have more food in the future, they go first to the upper back leg and then straight to the neck to make the pray weak and kill it quickly.
    That is how in sync lions are with the world!
    More than most humans!

0|1
    1|1
    • No, it is animal cruelty because they are exploited, raped, tortured and then killed. It's animal cruelty 100%. You're completely delusional, dude. You don't need to eat animal corpses to survive. That's been scientifically proven.

We're not at the top of the food chain, dude.
      Proof: http://www.pnas.org/content/110/51/20617
      “humans are similar to anchovy or pigs and cannot be considered apex predators”. - National Academy of Sciences of the United States

• Show All
    • And by the way I didn't call you stupid, fat or blind

• And most of the things you said but who tf gives a shit right?

• It would need to be based on the health of the dog. If it were shown that the dog were suffering for not eating meat then yes, it would be cruel.

However, having owned a dog that actually couldn't eat meat I know that a dog can be perfectly healthy without it. Maybe not in all cases but provably in some.

0|1
    0|0
  • It very much is animal cruelty.
    Cats are obligate carnivores that should never be fed a non-meat diet.
    Dogs are close to being obligate carnivores, because they can't metabolize vitamin D, which comes predominantly from eggs, dairy, fish and organ meat.

The only source of vitamin D other than animal products are mushrooms, however, they contain far less vitamin D and it is the kind that dogs have trouble metabolizing.

0|0
    0|0
    • "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs. Additionally, the only reason their dog is getting these amino acids is because the animal that they're feeding to their dog (the cow, chicken, etc) ate plants. Most animals killed and used for meat-based dog foods are fed antibiotics and medications throughout their life. This all ends up meat-based dog foods. Much of the meat in the dog food industry is deemed unfit for human consumption. They use the meat that is diseased and sitting around. These animals are also stressed before they are slaughtered, so the stress hormones end up in the flesh that your dog eats."

• Show All
    • @0asis Waste of breath.
      When your dog dies to canine dilated cardiomyopathy because you kept feeding it peas instead of the actual food it requires, maybe you then you will change your mind.

• She won't die from a healthier diet, that doesn't make any sense lol. Protein comes from plants, not animals dude. Do some research

• Vegans do that?
    I mean I know there was that woman that basically killed her cat because she attempted to feed it a vegan diet...
    I guess there are always those special people in the bunch.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yeah, don't feed your cat a vegan diet but dogs can be completely healthy on a vegan diet:

• Show All
    • Not an argument. Enjoyment is not a valid justification for your actions when your actions have a victim. By "I like it" logic, you would also have to be okay with people justifying murder because they like it. Or cannibalism because they like the taste of humans. If an alien species came to earth and decided they liked the taste of humans, would it therefore be okay for aliens to eat you because they like how you taste?

There's a plant-based alternative to every single animal product. Steak? We can make a vegan steak that taste fucking delicious. Burgers/ground beef? There's vegan ground that tastes amazing. My brother loves meat, just like you, but he loves my vegan spaghetti. He inhales it. Well, you didn't eat properly then. If you're not satisfied, then you probably weren't eating enough. I have resources that can help you do it properly. I can hook you up with people who can help you out, if you'd like

• Veganism is totally different. It's way better than vegetarianism. Trust me. You'll feel so much better if you do it properly. I was vegetarian too at one point and I didn't enjoy it at all. Then I switched to veganism and wow, the food is freakin incredible! Your love for food grows tenfold when you go vegan. Also, very, very few people are born vegan. Most vegans ate animals their entire lives, like me. I ate animals for 22 years. I said the same thing when I was a teen "I'm never going to change, never going to go vegan" everyone says that and then whether it's for their health, the environment, or for the animals, people go vegan.

Do you care about animals or the environment?

• They shouldn't have pets then. It goes against nature. It's fine if they want to feed themselves nothing but vegetables and nuts and such.

0|2
    0|0
    • LOL. Dogs are omnivores. They can be totally healthy on a vegan diet:

• Show All
    • Pigs can get rid of a human body in under 8 minutes...

• Look, a vegan diet is approved by vets so it's not animal cruelty and it's safe and healthy for dogs. So there's no problem with it. I would never do anything that would harm my dog. I want her to be healthy and I would rather not feed her diseased meat. She loves fruits and vegetables and she's healthy and happy so your arguments are irrelevant.

I will gladly get pigs, I was actually thinking about it but where I currently live, I can't have them. I love having dogs as pets and again, I would do nothing to cause them harm. I've thoroughly looked into the vegan diet for dogs to make sure it's okay and I will keep going to the vet periodically to make sure she's healthy.

• Don't know much about pets so took the easy way out and voted maybe. I would certainly consider it cruel if my master only fed me vegetables but so far it hasn't been a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely it is. Its ridiculous, they just shouldn't buy meat eating animals if they are unwilling to use meat products.

0|1
    0|0
    • No, it's not. Dogs are actually omnivores, dude.
      "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs.

Additionally, the only reason their dog is getting these amino acids is because the animal that they're feeding to their dog (the cow, chicken, etc) ate plants. Most animals killed and used for meat-based dog foods are fed antibiotics and medications throughout their life. This all ends up meat-based dog foods. Much of the meat in the dog food industry is deemed unfit for human consumption. They use the meat that is diseased and sitting around. These animals are also stressed before they are slaughtered, so the stress hormones end up in the flesh that your dog eats."

• Show All
    • You seem to be using omnivore and carnivore interchangeably, they are not.

You've just re-proven my point you have no interest in reality and just want to spread your vegan misinformation.

No sense arguing with someone uninterested in facts.

• Dogs are omnivores, dude. Look at some unbiased info sources for a change. They are classes as carnivora but their diet is omnivorous so they are technically omnivores.
      Proof: thesciencedog.wordpress.com/.../
      www.petmd.com/.../can-dogs-stay-healthy-on-a-vegetarian-diet-31188

Actually, you've just re-proved MY point, sir. You have no interest in reality, not me. I researched this and looked into unbiased, professional sources and vets and other animal professionals say dogs are omnivores. I'm actually trying to do the opposite and spread the proper information. I gave you 100% unbiased sources. That means it's not skewed in any way. Lol there's not such thing as 'vegan misinformation'. Vets have no reason to lie about a dog being an omnivore. Don't be stupid.

Dude, you're such a fucking hypocrite. I'm giving you the facts and you're the one who isn't interested.

• Absolutely it is! These animals are carnivores. They rely on meat for their main source of sustenance.

0|1
    0|0
    • Absolutely it is not! These animals are omnivores, actually. Dogs can be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet: v-dog.com/.../bramble-the-collies-secrets-to-living-to-age-25

• Show All
    • Go ahead and feed your dogs "carefully monitored vegetable product" and I'll feed my happy dogs the way I've always done. Your logical fallacy is conflating an ability to digest some starches with be able to subsist primarily on vegetable matter.
      You do you (and your dogs), boo.

• My dog loves fruits and vegetables so I don't see why she would be unhappy. She loves her veggie treats, pumpkin puree, blueberries. She loved eating crab apples as a puppy and the vet has always said she looks super healthy, her coat is shiny. So I don't see a problem with it if science and vets say it's healthy, I'm going to keep feeding her the healthiest diet possible.

Logical fallacy? Wtf? That's not a logical fallacy. That was only for stating that dogs are different from wolves. Science shows dogs can thrive on a vegan diet and it had health benefits so I'mma do that because I want the best for my dog

• NO , as long as they do not suffer from it , they can life ok with out meat...

1|0
    1|2
  • Yeah. The Vegan diet will kill a cat and make a dog sick.
    Both are domesticated carnivores.
    Dogs digestive systems are set for a high protein diet utilizing animal sources and they also adapted slightly due to their domestication process, so they are able to eat certain vegetables in conjunction with the animal sources. Plants that are similar to grass and others will cause your dog to throw up.
    Domestic cats are still very similar to their wild counterparts because they didn't experience the same physiological changes dogs did. Cats require high protein- low carb from animal sources.
    You can read more about it here:
    www.whyanimalsdothething.com/.../

0|1
    0|0
    • "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs.

• Veganism is a cult that exists to depopulate.

One cannot live healthily off of a vegan diet.

0|1
    0|0
  • Um... no.

1|1
    0|1
  • I think it is

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Cats and dogs are primarily carnivores.

1|1
    0|1
    • Dogs are actually omnivores.
      "Just because someone is feeding their dog flesh, they tend to think there’s some magical ingredient in this flesh that's keeping their dog healthy. Dogs need protein, but protein is not exclusively found in meat. It is made from amino acids and plants provide plenty of these building blocks and nutrients for dogs.

• thats bad

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes