Why you Americans always put so few chips in the bag?

Why you Americans always put so few chips in the bag?

I opened a bag of Apple chips and there were barely any in there

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• People might stop buying things if the price rises, so they usually lower the amount you're getting instead. Like instead of a half gallon of ice cream, we only get 1.5 quarts now! They cut it to 1.75, quarts, then 1.5. With the chips, you can't even see them before buying so they can lower the size more easily.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• The bag is full of air

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, no shit! Why they doing this?

• Show All
    • I hadn't bought them in almost 2 years, because I was wearing braces. Maybe I will stop again

• You are right dont buy them its a racket to make money they give us less for our money and shrink every thing down

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Ok
    That is not how much chips we get we get a half of bag
    And if it is a med to big bag we get more then half

0|1
    0|0
  • Wow and they sell this? In my country there's less chips than we can think of but there's much more than in American chips bag.

0|1
    0|0
    • OH YEAH! It's been like this for years

• Show All
    • Technically yes, but that was an isolated case. Most people wouldn't waste their time on such nonsense.

• In France if someone wanted to do that everyone would look at him like he's crazy and laugh at him.

• loll, when I was a kid the potato chip bags were full to the brim

0|1
    0|0
  • We just evil like that

0|2
    0|2

What Guys Said 10

• You think that's little?
    In 2012, the UK chips manufacturer Walkers came in for some stick on Twitter after some consumers found as few as five crisps in a single bag of their Deep Ridge range.

0|1
    0|0
  • There's chips of me?

I think it's mainly the companies rather than a country-related thing, if it looks like a lot but is less afterwards, you sell less for more money, meaning more profit. And since most companies do that it's not like they'd lose to the competition

0|0
    0|0
  • Chips are sold by weight not by volume
    When the bag is first filled it is mostly full, and then the fill the bag with nitrogen to keep the chips fresh and minimize chip breakage. By the time they are shipped to distribution warehouses, then to your store and you take them home they settle quite a bit. If you bought a 200 g bag, you still have 200 grams of chips.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's getting so bad now It used to be the bag was pretty much filled to the top now it's not even half filled. And also they do a lot of downsizing

0|1
    0|0
  • Because us americans only seem to care about profit. Bigger the bag but lesser chips equals more profit.

0|1
    0|0
  • Me dunno.

0|1
    0|0
  • The rest of the air is nitrogen to keep them crisp.

1|0
    0|0
  • For maximum profit.
    Isn't capitalism great?

0|1
    0|0
  • It's more or less a marketing scam. We pay more to get less. The value of the dollar is slowly decreasing, and as such, the value of everything else is increasing. So they just slowly lower the amount you actually get to "even out" the price and value, though in reality they're just doing that to get more outta you for less work and less effort. We're Americans, we want stuff for nothing.

0|1
    0|0
  • well they need SOME air to help stop the chips from breaking in the bag, but mostly it's just the companies playing mind games. Using big bags makes our eyes tell our brains that we're getting a good deal. While in reality, it all comes back to the olive jar or whatever it was we learned about in business class.
    Long ago, someone figured out they could save their company millions of dollars in costs by including 1 less olive in each jar. Ever since then, companies have been taking out more and more of those "olives".

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes