Why is baking so hard?

So I am a pretty good cook. But I for the life of me cannot bake. Kind of silly ik but why is baking different than cooking

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• because it requires EXACT measurements, as opposed to cooking, where you can be more willy nilly with it

also, even if it says something on the box, doesn't mean it's always true. I bake brownies from a box, and it says 50 minues at 325. if i do that, they burn in MY oven, so, with the overn i use, i cut the time in half, and put parchment paper in the pan before i put the batter in

yes, you do have to make sure the ingredients are correct, to a t, but, that doesn't necessarily mean the box is ALWAYS correct

1|0
    0|0
  • With cooking, you can wing it and, if you’re intuitive about cooking, it’ll turn out great.

With baking, you have to be precise. If you mess up the ingredients, the times, or the temperatures, it’s much more prone to go badly. Yeast doughs, merengues, custards, etc. are some pretty complex things sometimes.

What have you messed up in your baking attempts?

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Measurements have to be quite perfect, and things like humidity can effect how things bake.

The Tassajarra bread book is quite good, obsessive even. And believe it or not, Martha Stewart is one of the best at teaching real tip and tricks that work. King Arthur Flour company has a great website full of ideas and pro-tools for the home baker, and their sourdough starter is the bomb if you ever wanted to try it.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• Baking is more precise with measurements and from my experience most cookery books skip out a lot of techniques and processes which doesn't help if you're not very experienced. Trick is to practice a lot, learn from trial and error or see if you can do I short course or a baking/pastry cheffing weekend for Christmas or something like that 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • I like getting baked. https://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/a055.gif

Don't know about your situation. I find baking easy.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your a good cook, for sure you will become a good baker, are planning on becoming a housewife someday? 😊

0|0
    0|0
    • Nope. I want to be a mother and a career woman. I've been described as a "machine" and "work aholic" when it comes to work. But I also love children and want my own some day. And ik I can do both.

• Okkkk... no comment, cause my comments will surely hurt you... so have a nice life!

• Which elements do you find hard? Cooking times? Getting things to rise?

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know tbh, my baked goods just almost always fail. Where as my cooked stuff is amazing

• Show All
    • It's like anything else, it takes practice and the more you do it the more you understand what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Certain things can spoil baking. An example would be beating sponge cake mixture instead of folding. Beating knocks all the air out of the mixture and without the air it won't rise properly. Also, adding too much baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) to get something to rise can seriously ruin the taste.

• That's a very good point. I guess I just need to practice more and learn. Thank you!

• I'm a chef and honestly when it comes to sweets and baking think like cake omg I fail almost everytime

0|0
    0|0
  • You just have to pay more attention baking than cooking

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not that difficult to get baked.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea lol I can’t cook or bake 😭

0|0
    0|0
  • Coz u are lazy

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not hard

0|0
    0|0
  • maybe you have a bad baking pan. then no matter how closely you follow the recipe you're sure to burn it. Practice practice practice. If you want, I'm more than willing to sample cookies and anything else you bake to give my professional opinion. :)

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• I think when it comes to baking, there are a lot more things that can easily go wrong. You have to worry about things like over mixing, under mixing, the start temperature of your ingredients, and sifting. Slightly too much or too little of some ingredients can make a big difference and also the order that you add things to mix makes a big difference as well sometimes. Practice makes perfect you just have to be a lot more careful and pay attention to details.

1|1
    0|0
  • Same here. I'm really good at cooking, but baking is always a gamble.

1|0
    0|0
  • It just takes more practice, that's all. Cooking isn't as precise as baking.
    i know many people who love cooking but can't get used to baking.

0|1
    0|0
  • Takes longer and requires more details to get it right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Practice makes perfect

0|0
    0|0
  • Same.
    I don't know why. It seems even more easier than regular cooking but... 😢

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes