Why is baking so hard?

So I am a pretty good cook. But I for the life of me cannot bake. Kind of silly ik but why is baking different than cooking

713

Most Helpful Guys

• because it requires EXACT measurements, as opposed to cooking, where you can be more willy nilly with it

also, even if it says something on the box, doesn't mean it's always true. I bake brownies from a box, and it says 50 minues at 325. if i do that, they burn in MY oven, so, with the overn i use, i cut the time in half, and put parchment paper in the pan before i put the batter in

yes, you do have to make sure the ingredients are correct, to a t, but, that doesn't necessarily mean the box is ALWAYS correct

• With cooking, you can wing it and, if you’re intuitive about cooking, it’ll turn out great.

With baking, you have to be precise. If you mess up the ingredients, the times, or the temperatures, it’s much more prone to go badly. Yeast doughs, merengues, custards, etc. are some pretty complex things sometimes.

What have you messed up in your baking attempts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Measurements have to be quite perfect, and things like humidity can effect how things bake.

The Tassajarra bread book is quite good, obsessive even. And believe it or not, Martha Stewart is one of the best at teaching real tip and tricks that work. King Arthur Flour company has a great website full of ideas and pro-tools for the home baker, and their sourdough starter is the bomb if you ever wanted to try it.