What are your thoughts on plastic straw bans: good idea or pointless gesture?

personally I'm all for cleaning up the environment , if I see a plastic water bottle in a park or along the road I'll pick it up and put it in the recycling

but lately this whole plastic straw ban especially at restaurants has me annoyed , I realise we need to reduce plastic usage but is me using a straw to drink my pop out of a cup hurting the environment? if the restaurant safely disposes on them in there garbage. I have a hard time believe any trash from our local restaurants are making it into the ocean as its 1000's of miles away. and our dump is located down a back road in a wooded area no where near the water.

a lot of the time when I try and drink straw less I spill half the contents on my shirt and its much less enjoyable to drink that way than without a straw.

and for sanitary reasons I prefer a straw than having my mouth touch a cup that's been used by hundreds of people

I'm all for cleaning up the local environment but not seeing the point in banning plastic straws from being used in restaurants no where near the ocean
  • ban the plastic straws
  • undecided at this point
  • pointless gesture
    Vote C

2142

Most Helpful Girls

• Banning plastic straws doesn't mean there's no straws at all. They should just make straws from other materials.

• there is paper straws although there not used by many restaurants here , I think they found it cheaper to go straw less and not have to buy any straws

• It's not hard to buy your own sturdy reusable straw and carry it with you if it bothers you that much. The sanitary reason I think is just entitlement really as all the glasses will be washed in hotwater before you touch them. If you help yourself to a straw, then you're probably touching the tops of the straws where all other customers hands have been or the staff have touched.

Over here there are more and more places using paper straws so there are no need for plastic ones now. I think the ban needs to go further if I'm 100% honest.

Most Helpful Guys

• The US is responsible for less than 7% of the plastic that ends up in the ocean - we have had responsible waste management and recycling in place for decades. And of all the plastic we generate, straws represent approximately 0.03%.

This whole thing was started by a middle school kid doing a report, and was latched upon by rabid environmentalists as a feel-good campaign. It's meaningless.

It would be FAR more effective to reduce unnecessary over-packaging overall. That creates waste several orders of magnitude greater than straws.

• That’s a great idea. Some of the products I buy are so frustrating to open because of all the plastic wrap. Like buying a new pair of scissors that require a pair of scissors to open. Children’s toys are a nightmare to unwrap.

• Yup this guy has it correct

• The Oracle has spoken.

• I voted "pointless gesture" but not for the reasons you pointed.

You are wrong in stating that since you may live in a place that is land locked your indestructible plastic straws can't reach the ocean. Number one , they can and this has been proven time and again by attaching GPS trackers to pieces of garbage to see where a particular piece of garbage ends up 3, 6, 9 and 12 months from whence its initially discarded inadequately. Secondly, even in a hypothetical where the former didn't happen, land fill sites are just as hazardous as ocean pollution is.

Moving on to why I think banning plastic straws is a pointless gesture is because there are things that need to be banned way before we come around to banning plastic straws without a proper replacement. For instance, cigarette butts are a bigger problem when it comes to ocean pollution, a much bigger problem than plastic straws.

It's all about priorities NOT the environment, though, with most corporations and governments that actually control the policy making when it comes to things like this.

In my humble opinion, if you want to ban something for ocean pollution, ban the sale of cigarettes with plastic filtered butts!

• a big problem facing to oceans is the fact there is already so much trash and plastics in them , even if we stop putting in new plastic. there is going to be plastics floating around for a very long time , look at that pacific garbage patch , its massive

• There can be a cleanup crew that takes care of the old plastic. Hell, could create job openings. There's robots being made in Europe that float the water surfaces and pick up trash and feed it to a incinerator that burns the plastic and creates electricity.

Just because there's already trash in the ocean doesn't mean we get unapologetically add more to it. That's ridiculous, that's like not taking a shower because you are already so sweaty and waiting forever because you'll get sweaty once again.