Do you believe people should take their food to go if they don't intend to tip the waiter?

I've seen some posts on instagram that claimed people who don't tip should take their food to go because they are waisting the waiters time. What so you think about this stence?
I understand that waiters often don't get minimum wage but I personally think the customer isn't responsible if their boss not paying them a liveable wage. Or for them taking the job.
  • Yes they should take it to go so the waiter won't waste his time
    Vote A
  • No, they can still eat at the Restaurant. Tipping is not mandatory
    Vote B
  • Other (comment)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I personally do tip since I used to be a waitress myself. But the thougth that some people think customers are obligated to do it seems odd to me. There seem to be big cultural differences.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• In the US, it's part of the culture to tip. Before coming to the US, I almost never tipped. But I understand that service people here live off tips, as the minimum wage is below that found in many developed countries.

Just because I have never worked as part of the service staff in a restaurant doesn't mean I can't empathize with them. I know that working in the service industry is a challenging endeavor (you can just read some of the comments here, on this page, to see what customer service people have to put up with).

I usually give a 15% tip, unless the service goes above and beyond, then I might consider 18%.

If you don't want to tip, don't eat outside. Cook your own meals. Simple as.

3|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no. Fuck waiters, I make as much or less than most of them once tips are taken into account, so idgaf, I'm not killing my own bank account to make it so some asshole doesn't have to pay his employees as much. Tipping needs to be demolished and people need to be paid adequate wages, this bullshit of having the customer pay your paycheque is simply bullshit.

I don't have the money to tip unless the resteraunt has a rule against leaving without tipping (in which case I won't go back), so I will sit down and enjoy the meal I payed to enjoy. The waiter doesn't own the table, the waiter gets paid to do their job, idc if they want more tips, you do your job. The fact that they are underpayed for their work has NOTHING to do with me, it is a shady practice resteraunt owners picked up way back in the great depression. I agree something needs to be done about it, but nothing will change if we continue supporting this business model.

0|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. I don't understand why restaurants just pay their employees enough, so that customers don't have to be obligated to tip, needless to say a minimum percentage of total expenses for that meal.

If we've paid for the meals, doesn't it include all the labor work, ingredients, time and effort spent cooking and serving the food?

Even places where there's nobody coming to serve you, are now asking for tips. I'm referring to the ones which you go up to the cashiers and they make your food and give to you at the counter, the bill also asked for tips. For example, imagine going to McDonald's, or Subway, and they ask you for tips on the machine when you swipe your card. (I don't eat at neither places, but I'm guessing that's how it's done over there, since I don't think people sit at the tables waiting to be served at McDonald's or Subway.

Even at my gym the desk attendants making shakes are asking for tips.

I usually tip at restaurants where there are waiters and waitresses, but percentage dependent on their attitudes and customer services.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• Fucking hate servers. Let me tell you, if you eat at a restaurant, no matter who you are they will say the meanest shit about you in the back.

1|0
    2|0
  • I tip if the surface goes above and beyond what the staff are being paid to do. Where i live, waiters earn at least minimum wage so tipping isn't an essential part of their income. I think its ridiculous to tell people to take their food to go if they won't tip.

1|2
    0|0
  • How exactly am I wasting time of someone whose whole job consists of bringing a plate to my table?

I swear, wait staff are some of the most whiny, entitled people I have ever encountered.
    I pray for the day the their existence will be made obsolete by conveyor belts.

0|1
    0|0
  • You're damn right they shouldn't be eating in a restaraunt if they don't intend to tip. Wait staff depend heavily on tips as a part of their income. Same thing for when someone has something delivered, if you can't tip your driver, then you need to place the order for pick up.

0|0
    1|0
  • You still have to tip something. I tip 20% for table service, more if it's excellent. It takes seriously inattentive or rude service to make me tip less.

I don't get much takeout from full-service restaurants, it's usually pizza slices or something relative inexpensive. I still tip about 15%. I'm pretty well paid and figure an extra dollar in the tip jar means a lot more to the servers than it does to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tipping culture is kind of bizarre. A lot of nations around the world do not have it like we do in the USA. The system is set up so that you give extra money to people for doing their job. In a sense it is a con game by which restaurants get to advertise lower prices while the customers directly pay a large part of the servers' pay.

1|0
    0|0
  • It makes sense, but most places don't require you to tip the waiter. Personally, I would take it to go. I believe that people should be paid for their work and effort.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most dining places are starting to go down anyways because the new generation of people are opting to go to places that's fast, but better than most fast food chains, such as Chipotle.

Anyways I've always thought tipping was stupid ever since I was a kid. Cause when you look at the bill it tells you how much you're suppose to pay. Why am I obligated to give extra?

I mean I never have to tip when I order to go like you said, or at fast food places.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont tip them because that is not morally right according to me (this make me feel that those people are small to me)

and i dont care what other feels

I always believe that work is always of same importance

0|0
    0|0
  • In the US, or at least in most jurisdictions, tips are calculated as part of the wage, and hourly pay reduced accordingly. So if no one tipped, the pay would be criminally low.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not part of British culture.

In Britain chefs and waiters are payed enough from their wages.

Needing tips is a stupid idea it means the restaurant isn't paying them enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • no because i'm going to burger king to have it my way

0|1
    0|0
  • you have to earn a tip. if you do a good job you get a tip, otherwise you don't. there is no rule that says you have to

2|0
    0|0
  • Wait till you go to Paris, people are so grumpy they are amazed at the sight of a nice happy waiter.
    (Not speaking about 5 star restaurants etc...)

-in short yes

0|0
    0|0
  • They chose it as a job, and their employer pays them. Do you tip a policeman when he waves you through?

0|0
    0|0
  • If you canr afford to tip then you should eat at fast food or home. I was a bartender for years. I always tip

0|0
    0|0
  • Hundred years ago tipping was classified as bribery. Even today in many countries to tip a waitress is the insult the waitress and The Business. And technically as long as you're within the United States they're supposed to have a pay differentiation oil set up to cover when the waitress doesn't make minimum wage. If the waitress is decent one they will end up getting tips to cover their pay. Minimum wage is about 8 bucks an hour. Federal minimum standard to pay someone for a job like that is about 475. So if it's just one person took a $5 bill they've made more than minimum wage in that hour.

1|0
    0|0
  • I refuse to tip. They are already getting paid for their job just like I am getting paid for mine.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. What the hell? Waiters aren't entitled to a tip. Nobody is. They have a wage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends where you are some countries tip automatically almost and this can be factored into a persons basic wage but that’s not the case everywhere

0|0
    0|0
  • you pay to sit and eat there trust me a bowl of reis iisnt wort 7 euros

0|1
    0|0
  • how about stop fueling this stupid tipping trend

1|1
    0|0
  • Just pay a tip.

0|0
    1|0
  • I will tip a waiter, I do not tip waitresses.

0|0
    1|0
  • Point to the law that requires tipping.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think so

0|0
    0|0
  • Taking the food to go usually wastes even more time as they have to put it in boxes and pack it.

0|0
    0|0
  • We dont tip where I live, because we already pay so much social taxes to welfare system.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I believe you tip waiters who give good service. Otherwise, you don't. If the bad service isn't their fault (maybe they had too many tables) still tip. But if they act like a shitty, cunty, turd-fucker: fuck you and your tip. I tip people who deserve it.

2|0
    0|0
  • Here in America, waiters/waitresses live off of tips. It's common knowledge that when you go out to eat, you're expected to leave a tip. So if someone doesn't feel like tipping, then they should just get their food elsewhere.
    I, honestly, feel bad when I don't finish the food that I ordered, so I do both.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's an established and very well known part of the culture to tip a waiter, I think the customers should indeed tip.
    If you don't agree with the culture of tipping, then you should boycott restaurants until the bosses pay minimum wages or order food to go.
    Some people struggle and will take any job, because having a roof over your head at night while starving is still better than homeless under a bridge and starving.

0|1
    0|0
  • I personally tip when I feel the need to do so and I don’t understand the rule of a bill being a specific amount than I should tip a certain percentage. I came to eat not please someone’s pockets especially if the customer service sucked. Bye.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its polite to know that no tipping for waiters\waitresses in America is offensive. They get paid less than minimum wage.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they can still eat at the Restaurant. Tipping is not mandatory

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes