Do you believe people should take their food to go if they don't intend to tip the waiter?

I've seen some posts on instagram that claimed people who don't tip should take their food to go because they are waisting the waiters time. What so you think about this stence?
I understand that waiters often don't get minimum wage but I personally think the customer isn't responsible if their boss not paying them a liveable wage. Or for them taking the job.
  • Yes they should take it to go so the waiter won't waste his time
  • No, they can still eat at the Restaurant. Tipping is not mandatory
  • Other (comment)
    Vote C
I personally do tip since I used to be a waitress myself. But the thougth that some people think customers are obligated to do it seems odd to me. There seem to be big cultural differences.

830

Most Helpful Guys

• In the US, it's part of the culture to tip. Before coming to the US, I almost never tipped. But I understand that service people here live off tips, as the minimum wage is below that found in many developed countries.

Just because I have never worked as part of the service staff in a restaurant doesn't mean I can't empathize with them. I know that working in the service industry is a challenging endeavor (you can just read some of the comments here, on this page, to see what customer service people have to put up with).

I usually give a 15% tip, unless the service goes above and beyond, then I might consider 18%.

If you don't want to tip, don't eat outside. Cook your own meals. Simple as.

• Fuck no. Fuck waiters, I make as much or less than most of them once tips are taken into account, so idgaf, I'm not killing my own bank account to make it so some asshole doesn't have to pay his employees as much. Tipping needs to be demolished and people need to be paid adequate wages, this bullshit of having the customer pay your paycheque is simply bullshit.

I don't have the money to tip unless the resteraunt has a rule against leaving without tipping (in which case I won't go back), so I will sit down and enjoy the meal I payed to enjoy. The waiter doesn't own the table, the waiter gets paid to do their job, idc if they want more tips, you do your job. The fact that they are underpayed for their work has NOTHING to do with me, it is a shady practice resteraunt owners picked up way back in the great depression. I agree something needs to be done about it, but nothing will change if we continue supporting this business model.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. I don't understand why restaurants just pay their employees enough, so that customers don't have to be obligated to tip, needless to say a minimum percentage of total expenses for that meal.

If we've paid for the meals, doesn't it include all the labor work, ingredients, time and effort spent cooking and serving the food?

Even places where there's nobody coming to serve you, are now asking for tips. I'm referring to the ones which you go up to the cashiers and they make your food and give to you at the counter, the bill also asked for tips. For example, imagine going to McDonald's, or Subway, and they ask you for tips on the machine when you swipe your card. (I don't eat at neither places, but I'm guessing that's how it's done over there, since I don't think people sit at the tables waiting to be served at McDonald's or Subway.

Even at my gym the desk attendants making shakes are asking for tips.

I usually tip at restaurants where there are waiters and waitresses, but percentage dependent on their attitudes and customer services.