At what point would you consider someone an alcoholic?

Asking as i pour another...
  • 3 Glasses of wine a week
    Vote A
  • 1 Glass of wine a day
    Vote B
  • 1 Bottle of wine a day
    Vote C
  • 3 Bottles of wine a day
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• 3 bottles of wine a day
    I did put on the poll 1, but in that case all my family are alcoholics as most of them drink about a bottle daily 🙈 only in the evening with a meal watching the tele though and they function fine.

0|1
    0|0
    • Lol yeah a bottle with evening meal is fine especially if shared between 2/3/4 people it’s about a glass each.

• Show All
    • one bottle is, 3 glasses?
      so say someone has 3 glasses at evening with there meal.

• Nooooo one bottle is like 5 glasses (normal glasses lol). One bottle each is about the upper limit I’d think, most peoplle will start feeling it if they drink more than that.

• based on your poll I chose D but in actuality, its when it starts to impact their social, romantic or work life.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If somebody 'needs' a drink on a constant, ongoing basis, and wouldn't be able to stop drinking on a whim, is my personal definition.

I used to have a drink every day pretty much, but my gal barely drinks at all, so I have that example at home, lol.

I used to find, if I had beer in the fridge, then I'd tend to drink it, so last summer, I decided to stop putting it in the fridge, and hey presto - I've entirely stopped drinking at home. It was that simple.

I still drink at the pub, but that's a couple of times a week on a normal week. I can also go in the pub, and not drink. I doubt an alcoholic would feel able to do that.

So I voted D. I think people can put back a bottle of wine a night, and just stop if they want. Not everybody, mind. But I doubt that would be possible on three bottles a night...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• As someone who has an alcoholic father, it depends how you define 'alcoholic' like as some who just drinks regularily? Or someone who has a problem. I wouldn't say that having a couple of drinks or getting drunk every now and again is the worst thing in the world; I would say an alcoholic is someone who is completely dependent on alcohol like drinks it all day every day sort of attitude, usually seen drunk or tipsy - hope this helps 🌸

0|1
    0|0
  • When drinking it becomes a preoccupation at the exclusion of the important elements of your life. A bottle of wine a day is kind of where I’d start getting concerned. 3 bottles for sure.

0|1
    0|0
  • When a person continues to drink in the face of significant consequences. For the alcoholic, one drink is too many.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone who needs certain amount of alcohol (he/she doesn't even have to get drunk, only needs alcohol in his/her system to make it work) regurarly (everyday, every second day, every Friday... etc.) that he/she feels neccesary to get.

0|1
    0|0
  • When it becomes a NEED rather than a hobby. The question to ask is 'could I miss one?'.

0|1
    0|0
  • When you get drunk everday and you can't control how much you drink so basically once it's an addiction

0|1
    0|0
  • 1. Can't sleep without drinking
    2. Mostly drinks alone
    3. Needs alcohol to get through something

1|1
    0|0
  • 1 bottle a wine a day.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's a huge quantity.

0|1
    0|0
  • When u drink non stop

0|0
    0|0
  • When they get wasted every night

0|0
    0|0
  • When they become reliant upon the alcohol to live and feel anything other than a normal/depressed emotion... the amount doesn’t matter as much as the reasons behind the alcohol. An Alcoholic is reliant upon the feeling or the relief the alcohol gives them.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• When you can’t control it.

0|1
    0|0
  • None of the above. You're an alcoholic when your drinking causes you problems, not when you drink a certain amount. Some people can brush their teeth with vodka, but not be an alcoholic. Others can have just one glass a year, but it causes them grief.

0|0
    0|0
  • alcohol every single day. you need to take a break from drinking everyday, this isn't water its literally acid that makes you think slower.

0|1
    0|0
  • When they *need* alcohol to maintain a semblance of functionality

0|1
    0|0
  • If that's what they turn too when depressed.

Especially when they're chronically depressed.

0|1
    0|0
  • being a drunk is better than dealing with women and their shit.

0|1
    0|0
  • 3 bottles of wine a day

0|1
    0|0
  • Not caring if they get drunk.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes