Does coffee affect you/keep you awake?

Coffee can NEVER keep me awake. And it sucks especially when I have to stay up late to study for a test, but I just can't stay awake. Even if I drink 3 cups nothing works. Not even red bull. I just want to see how common this is and what suggestions do y'all have?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• no, caffeine in general doesn't seem to affect me at all, and other things such as pre-workout, bcaa with energy, red bull, and monster seems to do nothing to me. one time my friend didn't believe me so he put 6 scoops of pre-workout powder and mixed it with a mug full of water. we just sat there for 3 hours and then he's like "fuck it, not waiting no more, let's start lifting now" lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Drinking just one coffee in the morning doesn't energize me the way it used to, but I still can't go without it or I will be a wreck for the whole day. If I drink two, I get a little bit of a buzz, but it's not worth staining my teeth over drinking two cups every morning, and eventually I'd be desensitized to it anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • the coffee has to be very strong and even then the burst really only lasts temporarily

coffee wakes me up, keeps me going. but i often drink coffee around 10:30pm at night and have no issue falling asleep

0|0
    0|0
  • Like most things, your body will develop a resistance to caffeine if you consume a lot.
    If you drink 3 cups in one go (and haven't had any for a year) then you'd be bouncing off the walls.
    If you had a cup every morning and 3 more that night - then it won't affect you very much.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don`t do shit for me, lol. I guess it works different for everybody. But actual chocolate does help me keep awake though. So i always have chocolate instead of coffee.

0|0
    0|0
  • One trick is to drink your coffee, then take a 20 minute nap. This gives the caffeine time tomdo it's magic.
    I wonder if you might have developed an immunity based on over use?

0|0
    0|0
    • 2d

Wow I'll try the trick you mentioned and see how it goes! And nope definitely not over use, I'm only 17 and I drink seldom drink coffee. Just that whenever I drink it I realize it has no effect on me.

• Some people can never be kept awake, no matter how much coffee they drink. Like it doesn't work at all. If they overdose it, heart rate jumps to absurd values, you've got hell of a problem to concentrate on anything and many other issues. What I did find was that those people often switch to mate (yerba mate) and benefit from that a lot.
    I, personally, drink coffee because I like it. I'd also consider myself a person who can drink a cup of coffee 5 minutes prior to laying in bed and just fall asleep. However when I took caffeine extract in pills to help me study before the exam (30mg per pill, I took few of them, can't recall how much), I couldn't sleep even when I wanted to take a nap in the morning before leaving to school.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you sure you are not drinking decaffeinated, because coffee is the only thing that allows me to function during the day?

0|0
    0|0
  • Drinking coffee only make's me have a pee marathon with my naked self and I like peeing. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • No I can drink it at night and still catch a few hours of sleep.

0|0
    0|0
  • It works for me , keeps me going the first two hours at work

0|0
    0|0
  • Black coffee does keep me awake, but for me it also gives me a laxative effect.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2d

Ohhh yeah I get laxative effect whenever I drink coffee (which is bad) but it doesn't help me to stay awake :/

• Yeah, it doesn't do a thing for me anymore. I've got a huge tolerance for caffeine

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't sleep much anyway but tea usually helps me. piping hot no suger no cream just tea 👌

0|0
    0|0
  • Coffee in morning n alcohol at night keeps me alive

0|0
    0|0
  • l dont drink it when l am going to bed in case l piss my self

0|0
    0|0
  • It did for first few times.. not after that

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• I used to be like you - drink coffee all night and go right home to bed.

When I hit 35 coffee started to effect me like snorting speed.

I can have about one or two cups in the morning.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm used to coffee since I drink it every morning for 3 years, it doesn't do much to keep me awake but the fact that it's a hot drink helps, it could be any hot drink and it would help me stay awake

1|0
    0|0
  • Coffee has different effects depending on how much you normally drink and how strong it is. Either way, if you drink it all the time your body will just get used to the caffeine and it won't seem as effective.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have one cup every morning--I don't feel like it really does anything to wake me up, but if I don't have it, I always suffer with a really bad headache later. I've tried other forms of caffeine as well to see if I could maybe substitute it for something else, or ween off it, but so far I haven't been able to find a replacement.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve been know to fall asleep on the sofa in the morning with an empty coffee cup in my hand.

0|0
    0|0
  • Coffe does nothing for me lol

1|0
    0|0
  • It works for a few hours but not long enough

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes most of the times

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope it doesn't