Does coffee affect you/keep you awake?

Coffee can NEVER keep me awake. And it sucks especially when I have to stay up late to study for a test, but I just can't stay awake. Even if I drink 3 cups nothing works. Not even red bull. I just want to see how common this is and what suggestions do y'all have?
  • Yes
  • No

919

Most Helpful Guys

• Some people can never be kept awake, no matter how much coffee they drink. Like it doesn't work at all. If they overdose it, heart rate jumps to absurd values, you've got hell of a problem to concentrate on anything and many other issues. What I did find was that those people often switch to mate (yerba mate) and benefit from that a lot.
    I, personally, drink coffee because I like it. I'd also consider myself a person who can drink a cup of coffee 5 minutes prior to laying in bed and just fall asleep. However when I took caffeine extract in pills to help me study before the exam (30mg per pill, I took few of them, can't recall how much), I couldn't sleep even when I wanted to take a nap in the morning before leaving to school.

• Don`t do shit for me, lol. I guess it works different for everybody. But actual chocolate does help me keep awake though. So i always have chocolate instead of coffee.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have one cup every morning--I don't feel like it really does anything to wake me up, but if I don't have it, I always suffer with a really bad headache later. I've tried other forms of caffeine as well to see if I could maybe substitute it for something else, or ween off it, but so far I haven't been able to find a replacement.