Can you be a lightweight (as in drinking) as a heavy person?

I’m 5’7 and weigh 175 pounds. However, I’m pear shaped, so literally all of my weight is below my waist. Anyway, I get tipsy after drinking a half cup of wine. A couple of nights ago, I had 4 drinks (including 2 half cups of wine) and I was completely drunk. So does that mean I’m a lightweight?

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I'd consider that very lightweight, but I've found the idea that you can judge a person's alcohol tolerance by their weight very misleading. One of the heaviest guys I know gets wasted on a half pint of beer. Meanwhile one of the most highest-tolerance drinkers I've ever known is a 5-foot tall slim girl who works as a hostess who can drink an entire 750ml bottle of 80-proof gin in one shot and then come out unphased. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her do that, and kept watching her for the following hour continue to drink and expecting her to suddenly get an urge to vomit endlessly. She didn't and went home just fine.

• I also had a small sip of the bottle before she downed it, and it wasn't water or diluted at all as far as I could tell. It was ridiculous how she was able to handle that just fine; I consider myself pretty tolerant but nowhere to the point of coming out unphased after downing 750ml bottles of 80-proof in one go.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Your alcohol tolerance has to do with your metabolism, not weight really.