Is it wrong I hate Indian men because they tip HORRIBLY?

Most Indian defending people spout that "In other countries..." bull, but there's no excuse anymore. 9/10 groups of 4 Indian men tip less than $3 on EVERY bill.
A few I'd excuse because every race has bad people but Indians seem to hate opening their wallets. I had one guy straight up come back and scribble off his $2.13 tip for no reason.
Additionally they'll always ask to be seated away from everyone, and stay an hour passed finished eating. I once had a group sit in the back of the restaurant, farthest from kitchen and door and dishroom, at 10:00pm then stay until we closed at midnight.
The women are ok, but sometimes they'll try to flirt to get a discount. Personally don't feel comfortable with that but that happens rarely.
I absolutely hate those people now, I can't stand them. Am I overreacting? Does anyone else feel this way?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• We're stingy af

0|1
    0|0
    • why though? I see Indians who've been here for years so it's clear you understand the culture. I just want to know why

• As I said, we're stingy people in general. They don't think tipping is worth it or think is waste of money to leave $10 tip. Besides, most Indians internally convert dollars to rupee even if they live there for many years. Even if I visit US, I'd hesitate leaving $10 as tip because it is 500 ₹ here which is a too big amount for us to be spent on tips.

By that standards, $3 is 150 ₹ which is a very hefty tip in India.

• Besides, I'd understand being annoyed by it but going on ranting and outright hate is just not right

Most Helpful Guy

• You might start to hate some Japanese people as well, as we have no tipping culture. :-( Here it would generally be considered rude to try to tip someone at a restaurant, and they'd likely refuse it and find it a major nuisance that you are trying to tip them.

So a Japanese tourist might come to the US oblivious about the tipping custom and not tip at all and think little of it, or tip way less when they shouldn't even be tipping according to the customs of their own country. I spent enough time in the US to figure out to tip, and generously. But there was a time I found tipping very confusing when I went to the US.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ideally we all kind of pay close attention to the customs before go to a new country as I see it, and make a real effort to conform and adapt to the customs. That said, from a global standpoint, Americans are actually kind of the worst at this! :-D But just about every ethnicity is often at least a little bit bad in some respect when they go to another country.

• Show All
    • I think they're just cheap people in general. The only defence they ever have is "cultural differences". I never see fresh off the boat Indians, they're seem to have been here for at least 3+ years and judging by how fluent they are they understand language and customs. I'd love to believe it's a cultural thing but when you're acting American you should know customs.
      They also hate waiting to be seated for some reason. If they see a host they'll just walk to where they want, and if I say no they'll look for another seat.

• Cultural thing is only explanation that makes sense to me... since I'm pretty sure it's not in their genes to behave this way. :-D And, as an example, I've worked with some Indian Americans in STEM, like pHD mathematicans, and I can't recall perfectly but I'm pretty sure they tipped a healthy amount (otherwise I think I would have remembered if they under-tipped, since I was very focused on making sure not to do that).

But these were Indian Americans in the sense like they sounded fully American, no Indian accent. They were born and raised in the states.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• It’s racist, but also I don’t tip Indian people

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Id say its ok to complain about the Indian dudes who came to your restaurant and tipped shitty. The issue is that 1/10 that did tip well and other guys who were never there because they dont deserve the bad rap for the other guys just because they are both indian.

Same as if you were visiting somewhere that white people (Im making an assumption there I know) had been acting like jerks. Youd still hope if you were nice and polite youd be given a fair shot right?

0|0
    0|1
    • I'm black so I'm use to the pretty warranted hate about not tipping. That's why I tip in advance :)

• Fair enough dude! That would be the apparently incorrect assumption I made there, my apologies I just went with the majority odds honestly.

Yeah I lived abroad a few years and on reserve so had to deal with different versions of that growing up, its shitty dude. I always took it as a chance to be a good example in my case and it made me bust ass. (Our reputation was for being lazy, rich and cheap/selfish so I volunteered building a school)

• I hate tipping culture since going to Las Vegas
    It did not influence me if waitress show her cleavage.
    The waitress wrote 20 dollar by herself.
    There is a guy hiding in toliet to ask me tip after I finished
    I dont take cash so I gave him cash of my country.
    Then they said that guy is cheater. I had ever met it but I dont know which countrys culture. So I gave him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most Indians don't get the concept of Tipping because resturants in their country don't have this system. In most cases, the staff never asks for, nor accepts any tip.
    by the way,
    Are you talking Indians living in the US, or Indian tourist, or Indian-Americans?

0|0
    0|0
    • Indians who've lived here for a decent amount of time. Long enough to lose most of their accent

• An Indian will never lose his/her accent.
      Their wallets have a really tight zip by instinct.
      And from their perspective, your employer already pays you salary. A big tip would be reasonable to them, if you were to present the dish in less than a minute, or maybe put a bar of gold in their coffee.

You can choose to not serve them or just ignore them, but you can't change their habbits.

• You’re not wrong to hate them they’re pretty much scum and extremely perverted pigs who only think about sex with women and treat them horribly and even screw up call center jobs by reading from a damn script in their horrible English speaking abilities. And the women are worse. It’s a natural instinct to want to hate their guts trust me you’re not alone in that many Americans feel the same way about their kind as you do

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't believe in tipping.. That person is being paid to do a job. When I finish my task in the office I don't get a tip is just part of my workload. Not all Indian people are the same and it could just be less of a culture to tip where they are

0|0
    0|1
  • Tipping is an American thing. We actually pay our staff enough. The tip is just a bonus

0|1
    0|0
  • Tippings bull crap anyway all it means is employers get away with paying there workers less

0|0
    0|0
  • Are they better or worse than black diners? I know many white servers who complain about that too?

0|0
    0|0
    • Way worse in my opinion but I'm black so black people tended to treat me a bit better than my peers

• Do you think its racist if whites don't want to wait on blacks because of the tipping issue?

Recommended myTakes