Is it wrong I hate Indian men because they tip HORRIBLY?

Most Indian defending people spout that "In other countries..." bull, but there's no excuse anymore. 9/10 groups of 4 Indian men tip less than $3 on EVERY bill.
A few I'd excuse because every race has bad people but Indians seem to hate opening their wallets. I had one guy straight up come back and scribble off his $2.13 tip for no reason.
Additionally they'll always ask to be seated away from everyone, and stay an hour passed finished eating. I once had a group sit in the back of the restaurant, farthest from kitchen and door and dishroom, at 10:00pm then stay until we closed at midnight.
The women are ok, but sometimes they'll try to flirt to get a discount. Personally don't feel comfortable with that but that happens rarely.
I absolutely hate those people now, I can't stand them. Am I overreacting? Does anyone else feel this way?

29

Most Helpful Girl

• We're stingy af

• why though? I see Indians who've been here for years so it's clear you understand the culture. I just want to know why

• As I said, we're stingy people in general. They don't think tipping is worth it or think is waste of money to leave $10 tip. Besides, most Indians internally convert dollars to rupee even if they live there for many years. Even if I visit US, I'd hesitate leaving $10 as tip because it is 500 ₹ here which is a too big amount for us to be spent on tips.

By that standards, $3 is 150 ₹ which is a very hefty tip in India.

• Besides, I'd understand being annoyed by it but going on ranting and outright hate is just not right

Most Helpful Guy

• You might start to hate some Japanese people as well, as we have no tipping culture. :-( Here it would generally be considered rude to try to tip someone at a restaurant, and they'd likely refuse it and find it a major nuisance that you are trying to tip them.

So a Japanese tourist might come to the US oblivious about the tipping custom and not tip at all and think little of it, or tip way less when they shouldn't even be tipping according to the customs of their own country. I spent enough time in the US to figure out to tip, and generously. But there was a time I found tipping very confusing when I went to the US.

• Ideally we all kind of pay close attention to the customs before go to a new country as I see it, and make a real effort to conform and adapt to the customs. That said, from a global standpoint, Americans are actually kind of the worst at this! :-D But just about every ethnicity is often at least a little bit bad in some respect when they go to another country.

• I think they're just cheap people in general. The only defence they ever have is "cultural differences". I never see fresh off the boat Indians, they're seem to have been here for at least 3+ years and judging by how fluent they are they understand language and customs. I'd love to believe it's a cultural thing but when you're acting American you should know customs.
      They also hate waiting to be seated for some reason. If they see a host they'll just walk to where they want, and if I say no they'll look for another seat.

• Cultural thing is only explanation that makes sense to me... since I'm pretty sure it's not in their genes to behave this way. :-D And, as an example, I've worked with some Indian Americans in STEM, like pHD mathematicans, and I can't recall perfectly but I'm pretty sure they tipped a healthy amount (otherwise I think I would have remembered if they under-tipped, since I was very focused on making sure not to do that).

But these were Indian Americans in the sense like they sounded fully American, no Indian accent. They were born and raised in the states.