Why they call it rootbeer when there's no acohol in it?

Updates:
*Why do they call it root beer when there's no alcohol in it?*

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe its because they both have something similar about them. How they both can be bottled, then left to set for days or even weeks until its ready. How they both sometimes need like a Bug (Active ingredient) And yeah, I think thats how root beer got its name.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When you square-root beer, you get a plus or minus, and it's the minus that effectively negates the alcohol content that's in it. But nevertheless, that's how the name came about. True story.

0|2
    0|0
    • Good logic. But it means that one needs to drink at least two. Right?

• Show All

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• Because it has to ferment somehow even though no alcohol results. My great-aunt used to make the best root beer you ever tasted. She'd put it in bottles, cap them, and set them on redwood furniture in her backyard. One day I went to visit her and she was in the middle of a mess. It sounded like hand grenades going off. Always good natured, she was giggling and said, "I musta done sumpin' wrong, " and there were these brown bottles blowing up all over her yard. Then came the bees.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it sounded better than "root drink", "root libation" or "root beverage". lol But not as cool as "root booze", "root liquor" or "root swill". 😋 *ponders creating new "root swill" category...🤔

0|1
    0|0
  • It was originally never called root beer, or at least not supposed to be. Root Tea was its name. Then the inventor realised: "If I want to sell this to miners, factory workers, and all the working class folk as an alternative to beer, I should not call it tea."
    So it's Marketing.

0|0
    0|0
  • The original recipe DID have alcohol in it and you can either buy it in some major grocery stores where they sell strange and wonderous beers or you can get a recipe online and make your own.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes