Can someone explain me more about how it came to be that chinese are eating dogs?

I know very little about the topic. I just have heard the Chinese eat dogs for a celebration or something like that. Honestly I have chicken out on searching for images to see if it is true because I am a vegetarian and own two dogs. So if someone can please let me know without graphic will be awesome. Can someone explain me more about how it came to be that chinese are eating dogs?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• It's just a cultural thing. They don't see it as offensive. But there are many total vegans and vegetarians in China too, being a country with a large Bhudist population. In France they eat horses. Many cultures eat insects.

But yes, I think it's awful too because culturally I think of dogs as companion animals.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are videos of dogs being kept and tortured in cages (it's said that the hormones released while in fear makes them "taste better"), and images of skinned dogs at markets in China that show they do. 🙁 It's done in other countries as well, not just China.

I don't think there are hardly any restaurants, if any at all, that do that here though. I would actually be very surprised around here anyway. I eat Chinese food every once in a while and enjoy it.