Have you ever noticed that food from a festival or fair vendor is higher priced than usual? why is that?

I went to a BBQ festival in town today. The food choices they had were pretty lackluster and mostly just bragging about awards they won. The prices for some individual entrees were like $7.00 a piece. Hotdogs were like 3.00. The hot dog shop in town has hot dogs on special for $1.00 There was mainly craft vendors and women's clothing like Luluroe, Avon etc... What is it about a festival, fair, carnival etc.. that the food is so expensive if you're having to spend money on other stuff as well?

1|2

Most Helpful Girls

• Many reasons.

They have to pay for the spot they are in which is usually premium prices to help pay for the festival (tickets help but they need to pay staff which isn’t just for the day but through the year, advertising costs, hiring the area costs, licensing costs, electrical costs, etc etc) the venue has to cover insurance, health and safety, security, etc etc costs and it’s not a regular occupancy so a discount can’t apply.

They will likely be using off sit heating/cooking systems (battery, gas or generator based) which aren’t cheap.

They will be paying for the basic food cost before factoring in the staff costs.

They have to pay for travel costs to get to the location and home again.

They have to pay insurance, usually quite high given it’s not a regular place of business and potentially higher infection risks.
    Again tied into the insurance it’s a confined space which raises the risk of accidents like burns.

They may need to invest in breakdown insurance which may expand beyond a location due to an unusual vehicle and a difficult location.

Plus there is the food safety and checks they need to adhere to. Maybe even staff and CBT costs to ensure the staff are okay in that environment or risk public liability insurance.

Have I answered your question?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah they raise prices because they have a captive audience. Like at an event such as theatre, they have Whataburger for 3 x their normal price! It should be illegal since we aren't allowed to bring in outside food!

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It's always about supply and demand, and since they don't have a near unlimited or unlimited supply and the demand is going to big for convenience of the attendees,. It's pretty much a guarantee of pricey food if they forbid outside food, where attendees can't simply just bring their own food and beverage to the fair or festival, and if they plan to stay there for quite some time, they'll have to buy something to eat or drink sooner or later. The only way I can think of getting around this is try and eat and drink enough before you actually attend the festival or fair. That way you aren't hungry or thirsty and can direct all your attention and money on all the other activities that are going on.

0|1
    0|0
  • They usually have to pay a fee just to serve food at those fairs/ festivals. So along with the overhead they need to recoup losses they've already taken before they've even opened for business. Also, what is you other option. Are you going to pack up and go somewhere else to eat? Some do but it's a small percentage and they count on that. Think of it as kind of like ATM fees. The whole point of ATM's was to offerconvenience to your customers while reducing traffic in your bank. But it evolved into just another way to make money.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• It’s because of the generally quite low PED (price elasticity of demand) at festivals, i. e. suppliers can charge a lot for food at festivals because people will buy it anyways 🤷🏻‍♀️

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah it's ridiculous high. If family with a few kids goes , it must cost them a fortune

0|1
    0|0
  • food is scarce and it's a part of the experience, so, they know people will most likely be open to spending more

0|1
    0|0
  • Cause they need to pay for permits and location so they need higher prices to make a profit

0|1
    0|0
  • yes i have and thats because they need to make more to make the profit from paying for the parking spot ,

0|1
    0|0
  • If it’s a bigger food event, the charge you more. A cheese burger is like $6.00 when it’s usually $2.50.

0|1
    0|0
  • My father used to compete in BBQ competitions, he also used to vend. In order to vend, you need to pay for all of the ingredients, the instruments being used, permits to allow you to sell to the public, and the rights to sell your product at that certain event. For him, he was doing this because he enjoyed it, he didn’t do it out of a business. He did it out of his own back pocket to make people smile. Smaller vendors (like my dad) need to make a profit since they don’t have a big corporation backing them up. this is why some vendors have higher prices.

0|1
    0|0
  • Supply and demand. They have a captive audience.

0|2
    0|0
    • they also have the same competition they do at smaller events... its the rent

• Show All
    • John Travolta loves men

• @NoPoliticsPlease yeah it was a nod to the old story he is in the closet... not that it matters either way. its just my English humour

• Cause they know you’ll get hungry and eat

0|1
    0|0
  • They need to make a profit

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• Well it's basically it's because they aren't restos or large food companies that can see sell things for super cheap
    Also it's because they can... they can sell for higher cause where will you go?
    Don't really have a choice that's why

Also I'm sure the park itself takes a portion of their sales. Another reason most likely too

0|1
    0|0
  • Those prices are actually pretty reasonable, but they generally charge more because festivals are a limited time thing and they want to make as much money as possible during that limited timeframe.

0|1
    0|0
  • Its to make up for the land space they got charged for to set there stand up.

I used to work at one and asked my manager. That's what she told me.

0|1
    0|0
    • Fatz Cafe was having a 9.99 all you care to eat wings deal while a dozen wings at the festival was $15

• Of course they are
    People are there to have a good time and often ready to splurge they are unlikely to go elsewhere unless it is seriously overpriced to a ridiculous degree
    It is part of the experience and people usually just pay
    Mostly captive audience

0|1
    0|0
  • Because of permits and cooking in small quantities costs more than for the large quantities restaurants plan for. Also, these festival vendors probably buy their materials at the grocery store, while restaurants pay a lot less from wholesalers. In addition, most of these events support a civic group, a volunteer fire department, or church, and some of the proceeds go to them, and some go to the organizers of the festival. And besides, how cheap are you? 7 bucks or 3 bucks for a good cause?

0|0
    0|0
  • It's all for convenience. That's why everything in the gas station is higher price than the grocery store or corner store

0|1
    0|0
  • because they get chareged so much more to be there... rent gets passed on to you the customer. you should see the prices at the British grand prix but vendors are charged 1000s for a plot

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it is a bit of a captive audience - You are not going to leave festival, get a meal then go back to festival

0|1
    0|0
  • They have a monopoly over the market. A lack of substitute options means they can charge a lot more and get away with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah its standard. Any kind of stadium, arena or festival charge a premium

0|1
    0|0
  • So the vendors can make more of a profit when surrounded by happy, high, drunk or easily persuaded people in a crowded environment

0|1
    0|0
  • Eh, they have to pay for permits, the food, fuel, etc where it makes sense that they would up charge.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everything today is high priced even a bigger sized burger from a fast food place it is ridiculous

1|1
    0|0
  • Its how they make their money like a movie theater overcharges for popcorn. Because theyvonoy get a tiny tiny cut from the movie

0|1
    0|0
  • Because there's a lot of population in that kind of event meaning more business because nobody is going to go outside the event just for food

0|1
    0|0
  • price gouging. we got that here today. A Sausage and Pepper from a cart is $11.00, while somewhere else its $5.00, bread isn't stale, and not salty.

0|1
    0|0
  • Captive audience. It’s not like the customer can easily go somewhere else.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah it is crazy. $6 for a hot-dog that is worth 50c, no thanks...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I guess to cover up the cost from doing the festivals if that makes any sense

0|1
    0|0
  • Supply and demand

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes