Keto diets are terrifying, why is this a thing?

I just worked out what the fundamental basis of a keto diet is. This is such a bad fad diet, effectively going against all the literature surrounding nutrition.

719

Most Helpful Guys

• Well yeah... it forces your body to convert its own fat to energy using your liver because you don't consume any carbs since that's what's normally used first as energy because it's the easiest to break down.

• just eat normally. You will give yourself some sort of deficiency.

• Some people prefer it to a normal diet because ketones make them feel better, but it's not really for weight loss as far as I know...

• It’s all about macros. I consume 15 g of carbs per day (the brain does need SOME).

• I'm not a big fan of keto either. I prefer balanced macros and micros instead of any nutrition plan which is skewed. It's the safest bet as I see it to avoid any deficiencies and also probably the most psychologically sustainable for most people in the long run.

If it works for some people, great, but it's not something I would suggest to someone looking to slim down. I'm actually against any kind of generalized prescribed diet in those cases and would rather look at the individual and analyze their worst dietary habits and see if they can compromise and overcome some of the worst ones with small little baby step improvements they can sustain.

Most Helpful Girl

• Keto diets are amazing. It seems weird to read about them and think about consuming so much fat, but if you really research them and find out WHY they work, it’s fascinating.

• they should only be observed for a short period of time and if it's recommended by a medical professional. If you're just trying to loose a bit of weight it's a stupid idea

• That is why intermittent fasting works so well. You dip into a light keto state during the fast and return to normal after you eat.

• @Cask23 fasting is fantastic! I’m up to about 14 hours now.