Keto diets are terrifying, why is this a thing?

I just worked out what the fundamental basis of a keto diet is. This is such a bad fad diet, effectively going against all the literature surrounding nutrition.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Well yeah... it forces your body to convert its own fat to energy using your liver because you don't consume any carbs since that's what's normally used first as energy because it's the easiest to break down.

0|1
    0|0
    • just eat normally. You will give yourself some sort of deficiency.

• Show All
    • Some people prefer it to a normal diet because ketones make them feel better, but it's not really for weight loss as far as I know...

• It’s all about macros. I consume 15 g of carbs per day (the brain does need SOME).

• I'm not a big fan of keto either. I prefer balanced macros and micros instead of any nutrition plan which is skewed. It's the safest bet as I see it to avoid any deficiencies and also probably the most psychologically sustainable for most people in the long run.

If it works for some people, great, but it's not something I would suggest to someone looking to slim down. I'm actually against any kind of generalized prescribed diet in those cases and would rather look at the individual and analyze their worst dietary habits and see if they can compromise and overcome some of the worst ones with small little baby step improvements they can sustain.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Keto diets are amazing. It seems weird to read about them and think about consuming so much fat, but if you really research them and find out WHY they work, it’s fascinating.

0|1
    1|0
    • they should only be observed for a short period of time and if it's recommended by a medical professional. If you're just trying to loose a bit of weight it's a stupid idea

• Show All
    • That is why intermittent fasting works so well. You dip into a light keto state during the fast and return to normal after you eat.

• @Cask23 fasting is fantastic! I’m up to about 14 hours now.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• The keto diet is the same as any other diet: it doesn't work for everyone. People suffering from certain illnesses can benefit from such a diet but that doesn't mean that it will offer any benefits to the general population. We are all so different that it's impossible to have a diet that works for everyone.

1|3
    0|0
  • I’ve heard the name of this diet plenty, but never knew what it entailed exactly. I personally just eat a plethora of different foods and don’t track anything. I basically eat anything I want, but I do know what foods to not eat too much, ingredients to stay away from, etc. I’m not a nutritionist or any expert in this field, but I do know generally what to eat and what not to, probably more so than the average person.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the literature on nutrition... ketogenic diets work by shifting the primary metabolic process to the breakdown of ketone bodies, which means the oxidation of fatty acids, these store much more energy per gram, and allow the body to become much more efficient at utilizing stored fat. It's very useful if used intermittently.

0|1
    0|0
  • Any Diet is a 100 or 50/50. Not all diets can work for you, it can be bad and it can be good, especially Keto.

For the Keto craze, before starting such diet program, you need to undergo an over-all blood test and show the results to your doctor or Nutritionist. Their opinions, will allow you to do keto or not.

For others, who have been pushing you to try keto, maybe it works for them. But (maybe) not you. Visit Nutritionist, to get a diet program that will work for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not for healthy people in my opinion, it is for people with a certain condition to be used a remedy and they say it works for epilepsy efficiently so it's not all bad. In my opinion eating less meat is good in general if you take enough protein from other sources

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I dunno... same way any fad diet is a thing. I know a guy that has done it, and has lost a lot of weight on it, but I don't understand how, and anyway it's not a method of eating that's sustainable for a lifetime of use, you know?

0|1
    0|0
    • The diet is fully capable of being sustained for a lifetime. However, you have to do it properly. You need to make sure to keep your vitamins in check and getting the proper nutrients. If you're doing the diet wrong it's not good for you and that's when people think the diet isn't sustainable.

Everyone is different though, I can't eat carbs due them causing life threatening problems. This diet keeps my blood pressure in check and washes away all of my health issues. It's not bad, but it's not for everyone.

• @JustALonelySoul Glad that it works for you. From what I see, it's a bad idea for most people.

• I would say for most people it's actually beneficial, it's not that it's bad, just that it's difficult to learn what you should and shouldn't do, knowing what you need to avoid the risks that could develop. It's an all around good diet excluding certain people that won't benefit. But again, it's a difficult diet and needs to be taken seriously with deep research to avoid risks.

Sorry for the jumble of words.

• Keto diet atkins diet no sugar no carbs its all bs theyre only good temporarily and for short term but long term it sucks and impossible to stay on and maintain and itll fuck with your kidneys if you consume to much protein

0|0
    0|2
    • It's only harmful if you're doing it wrong. I've been on it for some odd years now. It does miracles and keeps my health problems away. You need to make sure to get your vitamins in check though.

If you're eating too much protein you're doing it wrong. It's low carb, moderate protein and high fat.

• Show All
    • I've been on it for years too. The cravings go away after being in ketosis for a while. If you cheat, you will immediately crave carbs and go on a cycle cheating. That's where the cravings come from. The cravings will last until you go back into ketosis for at least a few weeks.

If I hadn't gotten on this diet 3 or so years ago I'd probably be on blood pressure pills. If I go off the diet, as of just recently, my blood pressure skyrockets from the normal diet and all of my health issues return. It's not a bad diet, either people are doing it wrong or their body doesn't like it. It's not for everyone, but it's certainly for a very large percentage of the population.

• It's not a high protein diet, it's moderate protein and high fat. Too much protein can cause bad issues.

• Some people are diabetics or just have ridiculous sugar intolerance.

0|1
    0|0
    • but people are literally going around telling others everyone should follow it. Healthy or not

• In America, the ordinary diet, has no foods cooked from home. It can be good but most of the time, it's a dirt of fast food and trash. So people go from high carb, high fat and low protein to high protein and high fat. Meats contain a lot of metals that many people lack now. With the low carb or no carb keto, you can avoid insulin spikes and energy crashes. This is mostly the only reason people do it. It may cause damage in extreme cases but it's way less damaging than the average American diet of burger, fries and shakes.

• I did something called water fasting. I ran 5 miles a day, drank nothing but water or almond milk, and ate nothing for 27 days.

0|1
    0|0
    • must have lost a lot of muscle

• @MrNameless Doubt it.

FAT is stored energy. Muscles are protein. If the body wanted energy, why on Earth would it seek protein when energy is already there?

Likewise, I also did the faster fasting and it was by belly-fat that reduced noticeably.

• I didn't loose to much. I made sure to keep active whenever possible.

• While I agree, I'm not surprised that a health trend that is terrible for you is gaining traction.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's bs and bad for you. Just eat less than you burn, losing weight isn't rocket science.

0|0
    0|2
  • It works for some people but as a trainer i won't recommend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Apparently it works

0|1
    0|0
    • it works to give you cancer in 20 years.

• Show All
    • @Cammy137 yes there is, but I think having a healthy and balanced diet is contingent on not eating tonnes of meat a day. If you eat too much meat you will likely get pretty sick before cancer, but you will be much more prone to it.

• I'd have to disagree. If you're talking about eating only meat then I'd agree with you. But someone who eats meat 2 or even 3 meals a day isn't necessarily going to suffer any negative health effects as a result of eating meat. I do agree with red meat being more of a risk but I don't think the recent studies supports the idea that meat is automatically unhealthy unless limited. I mean anything in excess is bad for you, right?
      I can't claim to have all the information though. This is a topic that I've only recently started to generate an interest in (I've just started eating vegetables for the first time in 15+ years, and still don't eat fruit).

• Why is it bad though? Any particular reasons?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't even know what a "Keto diets" is

0|0
    0|0
  • anything to get your money

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been in the me to diet for a few years now, long before it became popular. The diet does wonders, however nobody is built equally. Different diets for different people. Keto has been known to help with the regression of cancer, early and mid stage diabetes and auto immune problems like eczema. That's just a few.

Now, I wouldn't listen to a thing the food administration says, they are a joke. If I weren't on keto I'd be well on my way to being 500 pounds. It's not just a fad, it's a lifestyle with real, life altering benefits. You get doctors that tell you it's bad, but you also get doctors that tell you how wonderful it is.

The important thing is not to cheat. If you cheat on your diet while still eating loads of fat, it can lead to many health issues.

0|1
    0|0
    • Again, it's not for everyone you have to experiment and see which diet is best for your body.

What Girls Said 6

• I was a high carb, low fat vegan for about 2 years and that was a fucking disaster on my physical and mental health. So, I defintely will not be trying the polar opposite (high fat, low carb). People will swear up and down that these crazy ass diets will work and if they don't work, you're obviously doing it wrong and push you to continue down the rabbit hole.

However, just eating relatively healthy and hitting the gym will give you the results you desire, which is what finally worked for me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Most fad diets are bullshit and don't work. Promises upon promises based on scientific simplifications, misrepresentations, and even plain falsehoods. But hey, there's *a lot* of money to be made, because people are gasping for quick fixes.

Keto is probably one of the worst of them all, in all of the above mentioned regards.

1|1
    0|1
  • Because many people are desperate to lose weight and if others have a positive experience with it, they want to try it as well. But they don’t know about the negative effect it can bring along or don’t care about it because being overweight is a bigger burden to them.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't get why people don't just each a balanced diet. It's so much healthier and you'll lose more weight in the long run

• They just want to try something out and if it works, it doesn’t cost them anything. I personally go to a nutritionist once a month and I’ve never seen so much progress in so little time. So I always recommend doing that instead of trying out diets that are temporary and damaging the body.

• I never tried it. Looks too messed up in my opinion. I prefer no diets, just a healthy lifestyle with healthy food even if it takes a while.

0|0
    0|0
  • One thing I know is ketogenic diets help with epilepsy. (I'm an epileptic and might start it so 🤷)

1|2
    1|0
  • Its good for diabetics

0|2
    1|0
    • As long as you get into it early enough, yes. Late stage diabetics might have issues though unfortunately and could easily destroy them.

But sometimes they'll get lucky. They'll need strict monitoring if they're going to try it though.

Recommended myTakes