Monolingual or multilingual?

I want to create a website of healthy eating recipes, where anyone could contribute their own ones. Like a Wikipedia, but of cooking.

The question is that if I do it only in English all the recipes that exist will be together, and it would be easy to create instructions about how to use the website without the need of translating every small modification in any other language.

On the other hand many people don't understand English around the world, so even when they could visit the automatically translated website version, they won't be easily able to contribute their own recipes. Additionally each language would have their own set of recipes, instead of having all which exist together.

So what do you think it would be a better option?

(CC0)
(CC0)
  • Monolingual
  • Multilingual

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Is this really worth your effort when every country already has their wiki versions of cookery? Allrecipes is multinational

• It will be vegan only, so it won't only be for cooking but also for making eating healthy tastier than in a more traditional manner.

And not only people will be able to publish recipes, but to improve them and get paid for them.

• Plus they will be under a copyleft license, anybody will be able to use the recipe as wanted as long as they preserve the same right for derivative works:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Most Helpful Guy

• you will find most people regardless of where they are from will get a 'translate this page' option when they access something in a foreign language so i wouldn't worry if i was you. google has done the work for you

• vegan recipy sites are everywhere so i think wonder woman still makes a good point.

• Yes, there are. But none allows to freely improve the recipes by yourself. You can cook the recipes there, but you cannot give your improvements back.

The goal is to make improvement as easy as possible, so eating well ends being tastier and more attractive than doing so in an unhealthy fashion.

• ah yes that is a good idea... espacially for me because im also refined sugar free