What local cuisine are you most proud of?

For example, I live in the St. Louis area and we're known primarily for St. Louis style pizza (thin crust, provel cheese, cut into squares), toasted ravioli, and St. Louis style barbecue.

What local cuisine do you take pride in for its uniqueness?

1622

Most Helpful Girls

• I live in the middle of nowhere in Virginia so my town isn't really "known" for anything (other than it's where the civil war ended lol). But, I love southern style food and there's a really great hole in the wall restaurant here that makes the best pulled pork BBQ I've ever had. They also make their own BBQ sauces and you can choose from like 10 different ones. It's so good.

• Oh yeah, I have heard of Provel pizzas.

Pasadena, near where I live, considers itself to be the home of the cheeseburger and there are burger restaurants all over town.

Of course, this used to be part of Mexico, so we have a lot of good Cal-Mex type stuff.

We're also very proud of our "street dogs" which are bacon wrapped hot dogs grilled on a griddle at a corner stand with tons of onions and green bell pepper. You can smell the bacon and grilling vegetables for blocks.

Before abalone became so endangered, it used to be a very special food from our coastline that was hard to get other places.

And California dairies don't use Bovine Growth Hormone so I like California cheeses and dairy products because of that.

But our best cuisine in Los Angeles is really from all the many cultures that make this area home.

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't count curries, including the ones that were invented here, such as the bland unhealthy chicken tikka masala. Multiculturalists love to tout that as the British national dish. It isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I think our curries are a unique take on a dish, which isn't however our own. They can be excellent, though.

So I would say we're talking about our bacon, which kicks serious arse, our sausages, which again, nowhere else does quite as well, our cheese, which speaks for itself, and our traditional beer, which combines flavour, with a low ABV (under 5%, typically).

Fish and chips, done properly, which means with beef dripping, not with vegetable oil, also merits a very honourable mention, too.

• What about black pudding?

• Ever heard of chitterlings?

• Yes, that's another one that people often steer clear of because of what it is...

• thought that was italian... here we have a sausage acredited to the county but as a veggie i dont care for it myself

• Pizza has become a very American thing, kinda like tacos.

• With provel cheese? Not *provolone*, but provel. That's hard to come by outside of St. Louis.

• oh maybe not.. i thought you meant the crust and cut insquares