When you were underage / below the legal drinking age, were you able to buy and consume alcohol?

When you were underage / below the legal drinking age, were you able to buy and consume alcohol?
  • Yes, I was
    Vote A
  • No, I wasn't
    Vote B
  • I never tried
    Vote C
  • I am still below the legal age
    Vote D
  • Show answers
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I never tried. I probably could have succeeded because of my height alone though. I did have the occasional drink at home with my parents, for special occasions. That's probably what took the thrill away.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yep, same here. I think it was because my folks let me have the odd beer, glass of wine or shot of bourbon that kept me from really wanting, or needing to buy it while I was underaged. I've never been a regular drinker anyway.

• @BlueWalker I'm not a regular drinker either. Meanwhile, everyone I know who drank in secret as teens are very regular drinkers now, or they were huge binge drinkers in university. I don't know if there's any correlation, but it's interesting anyways.

• I’m short and roundfaced, it was rare to not get carded until I was 27 lol

0|2
    0|0
    • I got carded at 34 one time! LOL! Seriously! 😂 I was buying a bottle of scotch and despite having my full winter beard they freakin' carded me! lol Maybe they though I was wearing a fake beard or something? 🤔

Most Helpful Guys

• I never really tried to buy. I wasn't interested in alcohol until I was around 16. At that time my dad allowed me the occasional drink. I don't think I actually got seriously drunk until I was 19. That pretty cured me of drinking to the point of intoxication.

Even today I'm not a big drinker. I might have a mixed drink or a wine, maybe once every six months, maybe.

0|1
    0|0
  • Back in the day of no photo ID's and stuff like that places would sell booze to kids all the time. I can remember buying my first six-pack at the age of 12.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• I wasn't able to buy it. I didn't really try though, all the places that sell alcohol where I live are really strict about checking ID's and I've always looked younger than I am anyway but I did have older friends who bought it for me. For the most part though, I've never been much of a drinker. Even now at 24, I went out with some friends last night and only had a couple of drinks which was fine for me.

0|2
    0|0
  • I never tried to buy alcohol when I was younger I would get invited to parties where there was alcohol. I also had friends that were older and they would have alcohol and I would drink with them. But I was never really into drinking enough to try to buy my own alcohol.

0|1
    0|0
  • When I was eight my Mother would let me try whatever she was drinking. As for buying it I was not able to buy alcohol under 21. I recently went to Mexico and my husband and I were shocked to see the drinking age was 18.

0|1
    0|0
  • I didn't want to, but my parents bought alcohol for my sister, who enjoyed it. Although they made me try all sorts of alcohol once. I was 16. I haven't had any since.

0|2
    0|0
  • I wasn't personally able to, but the guys I hung out with were. Two of them looked older and grew beards well. I guess that was enough to look old enough for beer lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I had my friends sister who was old enough to buy alcohol & she would go get me & my friend some!

0|1
    0|0
    • Do you think this is more difficult to get away with than when we were underage? That's my general impression. I never see people I suspect might be underage in pubs these days?

• It’s more difficult now to go in a pub underage. I was unlucky because I look younger than my real age so I had to wait till I had official ID to go in a pub. Even now I get asked for ID!! But my friend looked older so she would go in pubs at 16. Drinking age is 18. But now if you look under 25 in the UK you have to show ID, even if you look over 18! So it is harder to go in pubs!

• Yeah, that's what I also tend to feel, too...

• Yes and I managed to get into some pubs and clubs in the city.

0|1
    0|0
    • My general impression is that this kind of thing was much easier when I was underage, than it would be for an underage person today - do you feel the same way?

• Most places like to scan your drivers licence before you enter so I'll say that it would be harder.
      I got into clubs because of my casual job and I worked with a heap of uni students so I'd go out with them for work functions.

• I am still below the legal age but I will never try

1|4
    0|0
  • Never tried. If I ever drank a family member handed to me or my drink got spiked and few times. I'm not a real drinker honestly.

0|1
    0|0
  • I didn't try because I didn't need to. Beer is legal at age 16 where I'm from

0|1
    0|0
  • Consume? Yes.
    Buy? Nope.
    That's what older brothers were around for. Hee hee!

0|2
    0|0
  • Not only buy it, I was able to sell it too! But you now need to be 21 to work in a bar here.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol I’m Russia, alcohol is like assholes.
    You can find it everywhere.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never tried.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not buy it, but definitely consume it

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|1
    0|0
  • Sad to say I did.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• I definitely snuck in places and later got a fake id. Which is ironic because I'm a bartender now days.

0|1
    0|0
    • Would you say that has given you an edge on spotting other fake IDs?

• Show All
    • I had a mate who made them with passport paper, stencils and a typewriter, and I'm amazed, thinking back to it, that anybody ever believed they were legit.

I wasn't present the night they eventually got caught by the police, but apparently they were also impressed by them. Of course, they might have just been saying that.

• Dam, I know with fake ids it's a felony, I wonder if it's a harsher penalty for the passport. I had someone's old I'd that was unaltered so if I ever got caught it would have just been a misdemeanor.

• I never tried. My folks always allowed me the odd beer, glass of wine or shot of bourbon and I never snuck stuff, so I never really felt the need to buy alcohol while underaged.

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess I have access to it, but I can't buy it? Nor would I, I alos haven't tried it so...

0|1
    0|0
    • What happened to your old account? I noticed it was gone.

• I deactivated it and took some time off, came back with a new account and I got the spelling right this time lol

• I don't know my parents have a shit ton of alcohol and don't mind if i drink any well my mom cares a little bit but I have not had a problem with this no

0|1
    0|0
  • Ireland was so bad when I was in my teens - I could buy alcohol from about 14 - Funny thing was when I was turning 18 it got real strict

0|1
    0|0
  • I wasn't able to buy and my parents rarely if ever gave me any.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, by getting older people to buy it or stealing it from my parent's alcohol cabinet.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was straight edge at the time. So I never tried. But I had many chances to drink.

0|2
    0|0
  • I'd get the homeless schizophrenics along E 27th to go into the liquor store for me.

0|1
    0|1
  • Haven’t tried yet

0|1
    0|0
  • No...

0|1
    0|0
  • consume yes, buy no

0|1
    0|0
  • Only once in a while