How do you cook your steaks?

I cook mine on this cast iron I’ve been seasoning for a few months now. Steaks come out tasting amazing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnhMghgjSh/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1m8urtyeyvmaa
It takes a long time to get your cast iron seasoned. I can throw a steak on at this point with no oil and it doesn’t stick and gives such an amazing flavor. I plan on gifting this after I pass away and making it a family heirloom.

825

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• First I shop for the right steak, eye fillet and porterhouse are my favourite cuts. I go to my local butcher and I like something grass fed if I can get it at a good price, otherwise grain fed it is. I always look to see if there is a little marbling or fine veins of fat evenly through the meat, not large chunks of fat concentrated in one area. At home I bring the steaks to room temperature before cooking and I season them with sea salt and cracked black pepper only (don't season the steak until you're just about to cook it). I bring the pan to medium-high heat and add butter, I like to cook my steak in unsalted butter. I place the steak into the pan so the surface sears and locks in the juices. I usually add a little more butter to the pan before flipping the steak and as it cooks I tilt the pan a little and scoop up some of that hot butter and spoon it over the top side of the steak as it sizzles in the pan. When the steak is kind of springy to touch with the tongs then I know it is ready. Usually it takes 3 to 3.5 minutes per side for medium rare, but it also depends on how thick the steak is.
    Once it is cooked to my liking I remove the steak from the pan and sit it on a plate for 3 minutes to rest the meat. I like to eat steak with salad or in the winter time steamed vegetables. With good steak I don't add a gravy as it shouldn't need it, all the flavour you need it right there in the steak.

• My preferred method is on my BBQ pit. I have the kind with a fire box and a smoking chamber. I put it on the cooler side of the smoke chamber, get the grill up to 325 to 350 and let it smoke. I pull it off when it looks good. I like to use oak for smoking and if I can get it mesquite but charcoal is acceptable. Below is a 1.7 pound ribeye I made a few weeks back.

• I love the flavor of smoke on pork or chicken or fish but not on beef unless it's a fatty brisket I'm smoking low and slow for 12 to 14 hours. I usually prefer to use apple or cherry wood. I do use some hickory and pecan as well. I find mesquite to strong and overpowering.