How do you cook your steaks?

I cook mine on this cast iron I’ve been seasoning for a few months now. Steaks come out tasting amazing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnhMghgjSh/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1m8urtyeyvmaa
Updates:
It takes a long time to get your cast iron seasoned. I can throw a steak on at this point with no oil and it doesn’t stick and gives such an amazing flavor. I plan on gifting this after I pass away and making it a family heirloom.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• First I shop for the right steak, eye fillet and porterhouse are my favourite cuts. I go to my local butcher and I like something grass fed if I can get it at a good price, otherwise grain fed it is. I always look to see if there is a little marbling or fine veins of fat evenly through the meat, not large chunks of fat concentrated in one area. At home I bring the steaks to room temperature before cooking and I season them with sea salt and cracked black pepper only (don't season the steak until you're just about to cook it). I bring the pan to medium-high heat and add butter, I like to cook my steak in unsalted butter. I place the steak into the pan so the surface sears and locks in the juices. I usually add a little more butter to the pan before flipping the steak and as it cooks I tilt the pan a little and scoop up some of that hot butter and spoon it over the top side of the steak as it sizzles in the pan. When the steak is kind of springy to touch with the tongs then I know it is ready. Usually it takes 3 to 3.5 minutes per side for medium rare, but it also depends on how thick the steak is.
    Once it is cooked to my liking I remove the steak from the pan and sit it on a plate for 3 minutes to rest the meat. I like to eat steak with salad or in the winter time steamed vegetables. With good steak I don't add a gravy as it shouldn't need it, all the flavour you need it right there in the steak.

0|0
    0|0
  • My preferred method is on my BBQ pit. I have the kind with a fire box and a smoking chamber. I put it on the cooler side of the smoke chamber, get the grill up to 325 to 350 and let it smoke. I pull it off when it looks good. I like to use oak for smoking and if I can get it mesquite but charcoal is acceptable. Below is a 1.7 pound ribeye I made a few weeks back.

0|0
    0|0
    • I love the flavor of smoke on pork or chicken or fish but not on beef unless it's a fatty brisket I'm smoking low and slow for 12 to 14 hours. I usually prefer to use apple or cherry wood. I do use some hickory and pecan as well. I find mesquite to strong and overpowering.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Standard in a fry pan on high heat, after letting them sit in lemon juice and other stuff to tenderise them a bit.

0|0
    0|0
    • Most marinades do nothing to tenderize the beef they just add flavour which often is an off putting flavour. Instead just liberally salt the steak all over with kosher salt and let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, brush off any excess salt with a paper towel before cooking and enjoy this proven and most effective way of tenderizing and seasoning your meat. It also helps if you use a reasonably tender cut of meat in the first place.

• Show All
    • No, not beef you have to be more careful with pork or especially chicken. But those two meats you would wet brine not salt, I hope that helps.

• @LiamSaw it helps a lot. Thanks! Gonna try it sometime.

• I like it grilled medium rare. Even better if it's a charcoal grill. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium well or medium 💦

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like steak

1|0
    1|0
  • Well done. I only like well done

0|1
    0|0
  • Oven or George Foreman grill.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know how to cook steaks.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• First I dry age the meat for 45 days, then clean it up and cut into 1.5" thick steaks. Before I cook a steak I salt it with kosher salt and let it sit for a few hours to reach room temperature so it cooks at an even rate throughout. I fire up my gas grill and only light one out of five burners to cook the meat by the indirect heat method. I use the reverse search method so I cook the steak low and slow at 225 F turning once until the meat reaches an internal temp of 115 F then I finish it on my side searing grill which is a infrared burner that operates at 1800 F. And sear the meat for about two minutes per side or until it gets close to an internal temperature of 130 F. I then let the steak rest loosely covered with foil for ten minutes. When cut into it is evenly a nice rare to medium rare pink from top to bottom and side to side with just about a sixteenth of an inch of crust all the way around on the outside. I rarely need a knife to cut the meat when eating it as it's usually fork tender.

0|0
    0|0
    • Where it says reverse search method it should say reverse sear method, many thanks to auto correct.

I too have a Lodge 12" cast iron skillet that I have been seasoning for a couple of years and use it for many things. I don't cook steaks in it unless I use the French method of cooking in butter and continually basting with hot butter during the cook. I didn't mention before but while i'm letting the steak rest I usually put a few knows of compound butter on them, made from room temperature butter, garlic, chives and fresh cracked black pepper. Ummmm... so good!

• Damn auto correct, knows of compound butter not knows.

• It still did it arggh... knobs of compound butter.

• First I take my time and select the right cut like a tri tip with good marbling and a layer of fat on one side. Oh you asked how... The only way to cook any steak is to cook it on a BBQ pit with hard wood or charcoal and no lighter fluid

0|0
    0|0
  • Watch the letter Kenny episode about steak cooking for quality tips.

0|1
    0|0
  • i prefer grills. you can't duplicate the char taste.
    but if i'm out of propane or it is dead as cold outside i sear in a cast iron skillet then broil in the oven

0|0
    0|0
  • I've cooked steaks on seasoned cast iron pans/skillets, George Foreman grill, charcoal/gas grills,.. etc
    if you know what you're doing the methods or mediums used for cooking is inconsequential in determining the flavor of the steak

0|0
    0|0
  • Well done. And if cooked outside, it has to be charcoal. I don't like the taste of propane. If you're gonna do it that way, you may as well well fry it and slather it with gasoline.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't use propane I use natural gas on my gas grill and natural gas does not effect the flavour at all. I also have a Weber charcoal grill and a Weber charcoal smoker. I use them all to their on special advantages. Cooking a prime expensive cut of beef well done is like pouring a glass of single malt malt scotch from a $200.00 bottle of whisky and mixing it with coke... you might of well just bought the $20.00 cheap stuff or thrown it out.

• What the hell are you doing to that cast iron that is taking that long? It takes 10 minutes at most
    I do steaks on the BBQ

1|0
    0|0
  • First cook it slow on indirect heat on the grill and the finish it on direct heat, you just can't get that charcoal flavor on a pan.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh I got it alright. That’s what the cast iron is for. That baby is seasoned af.

• I can't speak for the seasoning cause I don't know much about that but I know you get an amazing crust with cast iron, and at the end of cooking you can add some butter, garlic and thyme and baste the steak to add even more flavor.

• That’s exactly my method

• Grill is the best I reckon but yeah if that isn't an option a good cast iron is probably best

0|0
    0|0
  • Blue on my skillet.
    You don't need to season a cast iron pan for months, you just need an hour or two.

0|0
    0|0
    • It really doesn't take time. My 12" skillet took two and a half hours to fully season it. If it's taking you this long, your not doing it right.

• Show All
    • I tend to use lard or sesame oil, rendered pig fat seems to work but gets very smoky.
      Noted

• You should never use lard or rendered pig fat which is what lard is as it will go rancid.

• I don't cook steak myself, but I do love it bloody. Like, really fucking bloody.

0|0
    0|0
  • I set it and forget it... On my manifold in aluminum foil..

0|0
    0|0
  • tear it off the animal I just killed and eat it.
    There is no cooking in the forest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Steak should always be seared in butter, and finished off in a very hot oven for the desired finish

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium rare without exception.

0|0
    0|0
  • With fire

0|0
    0|0
  • Well done!

0|0
    0|0
  • Rare-medium rare