Why does homemade tomatoes soup taste different from canned tomato soup?

I make homemade tomato soup all the time at home, it's like a staple of mine. I wasn't feel too good a few days ago, so I bought 3 cans of tomato soup. I open one of the cans today and ate it and it tasted different. Why did it taste different?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because taste buds are selective to every compound!..
    And since both mixture have different ingredients in different ratio..
    The overall resulting taste from the mixtures!.. Is supposed to be different.

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh. That's possible I just find it strange that it didn't taste as good as mine and didn't taste like tomatoes.

• It won't..
      Besides canned stuff isn't tomatoes.. It am organic gravy.. Added flavors and preservative.. There is no way you can keep real tomatoes good enough for +6 days..

• Okay. Thank you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it's made with better quality ingredients, hasn't been sitting around n a can for months, and it isn't full of preservatives and artificial colors.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you. That could be the case. This my first time trying canned soup. I won't be buying it again.

• Show All
    • I know I though it was an easy option but I think I will try you method or freezing the soup.

• Yeah, if you have a freezer and a microwave you can make a lot when you have the chance and just be lazy when you don't want to cook or don't have time.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Three things:

1. The tomatoes used in canned tomato soup are a different variety of tomato than you are using.
    2. They also add salt and sugar, which changes the flavour.
    3. There are other ingredients in canned tomato soup that you'd typically not add to a homemade recipe, like certain spices and even citric acid.

These things, in conjunction with the very smooth texture can affect how it tastes.

1|0
    0|0
  • πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • It's been pureed and creamed, maybe that's why.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Because its homemade lol. Canned stuff usually taste like the can

2|0
    0|0
    • this and preservatives... Canned stuff has a flat taste to it. Kinda gross.

• Show All
    • I think that could be a possibility. I think I'll look in to it. Thank you.

• @Factshurt90 I think I prefer homemade to canned.

• Maybe cuz of the metal

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like tomato soup canned or freshly-cooked.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes