The campaign group Action On Sugar wants to ban sugary milkshakes in the UK. Thoughts?

Why do we need to ban something rather than trusting people to use it sensibly? Where does personal responsibility come in?

I can understand if the thing in question is deemed so corruptive as to interfere with rational thought and control. Sugar though? What's to stop someone just eating a bag of sugar with a spoon? Should we ban sugar and spoons?

The need to understand what you are consuming is one thing. The need to ban food and drink items to stop people from stuffing their fat faces is another.

Just don't sell to under 18's, fine. Let adults take responsibility for being adults.

Action On Sugar, jeez 🙄😂

2|2

Most Helpful Girls

• They make it as if people are going to consume these every single day.
    Those type of shakes are desserts that should be seen as a treat once in a while. Shouldn't ban it because some people don't have self control.
    Everything in moderation.

1|3
    0|0
    • Agreed. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a milkshake and no ban was necessary. It must be over ten years at least.

• Sugar is addictive
    Sugar affects our brain pathways just like addictive drugs, and most of us don't realize how much we're eating... and just want more and more... have you ever finished eating ice cream and wanted more? Served again and right when you finish want more? .. same with cereals... cookies... etc etc... it is a problem...

But I misssss the original vanilla custard Garberrr!! 😭😭😭😭
    I used to eat those a lottttt!! But too many fat babies...
    And now gone forever!
    , they brought it back but it’s not the same... it tastes weird!

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Do you think they will achieve the ban? I don't think it would fly in the US. A major corporation or 3 would swoop in and save the day by lobbying legislators. We'd probably end up with a law requiring everyone to have 3 a day, or go to prison. You can't fuck with profitability in the states.

0|1
    0|0
    • I think they actually will, yes. We've not quite woken up in the UK yet. They'll replace milkshakes with tampons most likely.

• I wouldn't go so far as to say the US is "woke". We could use a ban on milkshakes, I'm certain. I dunno how things work over there, but in the US we don't teach kids about nutrition anymore. So, how are people supposed to make responsible choices if they're not informed as to what's good and what's bad? What's right and what's wrong? You can't. This isn't inherent knowledge, and the advertisements are suggesting that everything is great and nothing is wrong with their products. Is a ban the right way to go? Probably not, but removing a quality education from the table and assuming everyone should be able to make reasonable choices in a whirlwind of rhetoric completely devoid of useful and possibly even critical information isn't any better.

• Again, I haven't traveled overseas, so maybe the UK is still teaching their kids. But in the US, the powers that be know that the less we know, the easier we are to manipulate. And they're selling metric fucktons of milkshakes to prove it.

• Why not just ban sale of everything over a certain saturation of sugar? After all, it's not like your making those sort of things illegal for consumption. It just makes it harder to access, and makes people make it at home instead. It turns the sugary foods from something that exists in excess for the every day into something you need to put a bit of effort into and will appreciate a bit more... while also likely resulting in people eating it a lot less.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 22

• If anything, we should encourage children to eat healthy. Maybe by cooking healthy meals together at school or something like that. But we can't just forbid sugar. If adults want to be obese, that's their problem. But we should give children at least somekind of options. But not by banning anything

0|2
    0|0
  • They need to shut up and let me live my life. And now a word from Ron Swanson
    The campaign group Action On Sugar wants to ban sugary milkshakes in the UK. Thoughts?

0|4
    0|0
  • Break my heart. No ban. Let them be fat if they choose. Just like let the 6 year olds buy monsters and bags if they want. They will develop heart disease oh well! The stupid die off. Its called natural selection lol.
    Ps i think America has an obesity problem. Somehow my body fat percentage is the "higher end of normal" yet my body weight is "lower end of normal"? Ps i know i can stand to lose a good 15 pounds of fat!

0|2
    1|0
    • So basically you are what is known as a skinny fat. By the way what's bags and monsters?

• Oops i meant bangs and those are very highly caffeinated carbonated drinks.

• Yesss Totalitarianism, Stalin and Hitler will be proud

1|4
    0|1
    • thing is when im in bulgaria i hardly ever see obese people and most supermarkets sell sugar free soft drinks (derby) and hardly any crisps or maize snacks contain sugar but in the uk almost all processed food is laced with sugar and its slowly killing people. obesity rates are one in two people and diabetes cases are sky high. education would be better than a ban though but people dont like to listen

• Show All
    • Pfff Derby sugar free? :D I can't believe it
      Its true that we eat more natural stuff comparing to the other western countries, this is one of the things I love about my country also Bulgarians eat a lots of homemade stuff but not everybody can handle our taste, we have some weird stuff in our kitchen

Education in Bulgaria or UK?
      the education system is terrible here, its so chaotic and doesn't benefits anybody but the politicians don't care

I know:D

• i didn't mean school education and was refering to uk.
      .. derby in kaufland in razgrad is all sugar free. i made sure because i am on a sugar free diet
      i didn't like that wheat drink you guys have but most other stuff i like if its meat free ;) shopska is just the best

• I think people can decide for themselves what to eat. The government doesn't have to be involved in every little aspect of issues

2|2
    0|0
  • That’s stupid. If some people can’t control themselves and die of diabetes that’s just natural selection tbh

0|2
    1|0
  • The UK has a massive obesity problem. MASSIVE. They have no clue how to control the problem. This is just another attempt to. I've seen quite a few articles on this very issue.

0|1
    1|2
    • yeah we inherited it from the states... truth is diabetes is the main concern but yes it is caused by obesity linked to sugar

• They should just make the serving sizes much much smaller. Sugar is soo bad for you and so unnecessary. The only sugar humans should consume should come from fruit

0|1
    0|0
  • Milkshakes brings all the boys to the yard. Maybe they dont boys in their yard in the UK.

1|3
    0|1
  • Why should normal people be punished because some greedy people can't control themselves.

0|2
    2|0
    • It's so frustrating the British government like to mummy us instead of letting theses us be responsible for are selfs and no matter how much you they try to ban things there's always going to be fat, greedy people who don't know when to stop.

They should have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Maybe instead of baning surgery drinks they should make them pay for their own medical treatment if its obeseity related then that might change their minds next time they want a milkshake, hit them were it hurts. If they know a cheap surgery drink habit my end up in a much bigger cost in medical bills they would probably reconsider things

• Sorry for my writing mistakes but you get my point

• Keep the shakes but illuminate the sugar from the shakes and make people happy and healthy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is this what the world is coming to government have to ban trivial things

1|2
    0|0
  • You put in your mouth what you want noone is forcing you to eat or not eat something That is an absurd ban

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it should be banned because obese people are unattractive

0|1
    2|3
  • I don't think that a good idea. If I want to eat sweets then let me!

0|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely the stupidest thing I heard today!

0|2
    0|0
  • No banning of sugar anywhere.

1|1
    0|0
  • They’re dummies

0|1
    0|0
  • Ahhhh. I feel for my friends in uk.

0|2
    0|0
  • we should ban everything

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it’s stupid. Just because some people don’t know what self control is doesn’t mean everyone else has to suffer. There’s no harm in enjoying something sugary as a treat, as long as it’s not everyday. People are stupid.

0|1
    0|0
    • It’s common sense, anyone with a brain knows that drinking one everyday is bad for you. That’s why people don’t do it lmao.

• Blame Trump!

1|1
    0|2

What Guys Said 44

• Love those things from McDonald’s but I always end up sick after drinking them. So what do I do? I RARELY DRINK THEM. Lmao. People are literally retarded if it needs to be banned.

0|2
    0|0
  • Just based on the title alone

Can we get something like this for salt in America? I mean, fuuuuck!

Our food here has SO🤢MUCH🤢FUCKING🤢SALT🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

It's astonishing that we all don't have blood pressure high enough for it to just rupture out of random places

I'm serious. Read the nutrition facts labels on every food and drink item you see. Look how much fucking salt is in everything. It's practically in bottles of water

0|1
    0|0
  • There's no need to ban them, this is the nanny state getting out of control. Educate people about the health risks of sugar and types of sugary foods, then let people make their own informed choices.

0|2
    0|0
  • I am not a UK citizen. Don't know what you guys will decide. But good luck.

You don't want to be like us. We are the fattest nation on the planet. So much for trusting Americans for making good eating decisions.

0|1
    2|1
  • Obesity represents about $340 billion burden on the US healthcare system.
    At the same time the burden of tax avoidance in the US is estimated to be about $180 billion.

Why is tax avoidance illegal but being fat isn't?

0|1
    0|0
    • If by burden you mean income, yes. The healthcare system doesn't make any money from healthy people.

• Sugar is really terrible, however a reasonable person who want to be fit & healthy will avoid it anyways. People just need knowledge of healthy nutrition.

0|1
    0|0
  • Look I'm OK with banning unhealthy portions for a low price (example being the McDonald's super size that existed in the 80's)

But banning an actual culinary creation is just taking it too far. Nobody is going to order one every day, and if they do its because they're uneducated. Getting rid of unhealthy food isn't going to get people to exercise.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol! It happened in one day. I was a sugarholic. I could eat a whole bag of Oreos in one sitting. Then, one day, it happened. I ate a whole box of snickers ice cream bars, and got incredibly ill. I haven't been able to to tolerate sugar since. Makes me sick.

I say, everything in moderation.

0|1
    0|0
  • no thats silly... banning sugar in milkshakes isn't going too change the sugar content on the other millions of products out there with sugar lol
    all it does is ruin milkshakes... hell to the no

wierdos

0|1
    0|0
  • Call the UN in and and have the group reprimanded for breaking human rights. You can’t legally dictate a law on someone and assume the rest of the population agree with it.

0|2
    0|0
  • Any place selling those things should have scales at the order point. If someone asks for one of those shakes, they have to stand on the scale in front of everyone and if they are too fat they get denied.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well there is research that shows sugar to be more addictive than heroin so I guess there can be some cause for concern there...
    However banning milkshakes specifically seems a weird approach

0|1
    0|0
  • Easy to say so long as you aren't having to pay for the medical bills of people giving themselves obesity and diabetes as is done in the universal healthcare system which I believe the UK has

0|1
    0|0
  • Sugar content in processed foods is a big public health problem, so people obviously won't consume sugary milkshakes responsibly. I think there are better candidates for banning, though, such as soda.

0|1
    0|1
  • If they’re gonna ban sugar, ban alcohol and cigarettes too. They’re unhealthy, but I’m sure the government’s financial gain from them wouldn’t make the government ban them!

0|1
    0|0
  • Activism seems to be going down. I agree sugary foods are not ideal, but instead of campaigning to ban something they should rather campaign to help people understand the dangers it can pose.

0|1
    0|0
  • That isn't freedom. That is personal choice, not law.

0|1
    0|0
  • "Where does personal responsibility come in"
    In the eyes of the left, there is no such thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • What an idiots. In restaurant I also have to pay extra for a soda with sugar. 😂 Absolutely mind blowing. What is going on?

0|1
    0|0
  • Hahahhaha bloody Brits. I love watching them do stupid shite. Tiocfaidh ár lá!

0|1
    0|0
  • Can have an abortion because "my body my choice"
    yet can't drink a milkshake.

Welcome to 2018.

2|3
    0|0
  • My God, I love milkshakes! If they try that in Canada I'm gonna head the opposition.

0|1
    0|0
  • That campaign group can f off.
    I srsly hate sugar getting less or removed or ban.
    It is dumb people know something is sugary for them but's it up to them if they want it, also for fizzy drinks and most stuff it is replaced by chemicals that are actaully worse.

Sugar is only bad in lots of amouts so why is a treat like these milkshakes that people buy now and then getting a ban.
    It makes no sense. Plus no sugar equals nasty.

This a dumb thing just like idiots who think video games should be baned and other things that are good.

0|1
    0|0
  • So right!
    If you wanna ban something then let it be steroids...
    But I'm a healthy person and you still can't stop me from eating chocolate!

0|1
    0|0
  • Like most things effecting society and people's lives, education is the key. "Interest groups" always go for the Ban. Government's listen, and if there seems to be enough support, won't ban it, but will tax it as the solution.
    Yet in the UK at present there's an epidemic of stabbings all over the country. But the police are so deliberately underfunded they cannot police of investigate the problem.
    There's always some agenda behind these what appears to be stupid laws being invoked that effect the quality of people's lives. Mostly forced compliance and money is behind it all.

0|1
    0|0
  • Glad to hear there are dumber politicians out there than American ones.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, we should probably ban everything that contains a lethal amount of sugar.

0|1
    0|1
  • Haha you should come to the US we have tons of that here

0|1
    0|0
  • Seriously it's just a sugary milkshake if people want to drink them then just let them drink them, we don't need a nanny state

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel sorry for people in the UK for having to deal with excessive involvement in things the government doesn't even need to be involved in.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes