The campaign group Action On Sugar wants to ban sugary milkshakes in the UK. Thoughts?

Why do we need to ban something rather than trusting people to use it sensibly? Where does personal responsibility come in?

I can understand if the thing in question is deemed so corruptive as to interfere with rational thought and control. Sugar though? What's to stop someone just eating a bag of sugar with a spoon? Should we ban sugar and spoons?

The need to understand what you are consuming is one thing. The need to ban food and drink items to stop people from stuffing their fat faces is another.

Just don't sell to under 18's, fine. Let adults take responsibility for being adults.

Action On Sugar, jeez 🙄😂

2446

Most Helpful Girls

• They make it as if people are going to consume these every single day.
    Those type of shakes are desserts that should be seen as a treat once in a while. Shouldn't ban it because some people don't have self control.
    Everything in moderation.

• Agreed. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a milkshake and no ban was necessary. It must be over ten years at least.

• Sugar is addictive
    Sugar affects our brain pathways just like addictive drugs, and most of us don't realize how much we're eating... and just want more and more... have you ever finished eating ice cream and wanted more? Served again and right when you finish want more? .. same with cereals... cookies... etc etc... it is a problem...

But I misssss the original vanilla custard Garberrr!! 😭😭😭😭
    I used to eat those a lottttt!! But too many fat babies...
    And now gone forever!
    , they brought it back but it’s not the same... it tastes weird!

Most Helpful Guys

• Do you think they will achieve the ban? I don't think it would fly in the US. A major corporation or 3 would swoop in and save the day by lobbying legislators. We'd probably end up with a law requiring everyone to have 3 a day, or go to prison. You can't fuck with profitability in the states.

• I think they actually will, yes. We've not quite woken up in the UK yet. They'll replace milkshakes with tampons most likely.

• I wouldn't go so far as to say the US is "woke". We could use a ban on milkshakes, I'm certain. I dunno how things work over there, but in the US we don't teach kids about nutrition anymore. So, how are people supposed to make responsible choices if they're not informed as to what's good and what's bad? What's right and what's wrong? You can't. This isn't inherent knowledge, and the advertisements are suggesting that everything is great and nothing is wrong with their products. Is a ban the right way to go? Probably not, but removing a quality education from the table and assuming everyone should be able to make reasonable choices in a whirlwind of rhetoric completely devoid of useful and possibly even critical information isn't any better.

• Again, I haven't traveled overseas, so maybe the UK is still teaching their kids. But in the US, the powers that be know that the less we know, the easier we are to manipulate. And they're selling metric fucktons of milkshakes to prove it.

• Why not just ban sale of everything over a certain saturation of sugar? After all, it's not like your making those sort of things illegal for consumption. It just makes it harder to access, and makes people make it at home instead. It turns the sugary foods from something that exists in excess for the every day into something you need to put a bit of effort into and will appreciate a bit more... while also likely resulting in people eating it a lot less.