Why do restaurants in usa serve so much portion sizes?

One plate of food I get is enough for two adults and a child.

416

Most Helpful Guys

• Because they want repeat customers. You can always take home what you don't eat there.
    I don't know where you're from but when I was stationed in Germany in the Army, I went to a restaurant and they served a LOT of food. But back then, I could eat a lot and not gain anything. I wish that was true now.

• Well I mean it depends where you're eating. I've been to restaurants that served small portions.

And I've been to restaurants that served a ridiculous amount of food. Although the ones that do serve big portions tend to cost more. I mean if I'm paying that much for a meal I'd better get my money's worth.

One of the reasons I'm a little turned off by fine dining. Just based on pics I've seen on Yelp some places serve really small portions.

I mean the plate looks really nice, but I feel like I might need to stop by jack in the box afterwards.

Most Helpful Girl