When boiling eggs, do you put the eggs in at the start or do you put them in when the water starts to boil?

Just to be clear, I know how to boil eggs. I'm just curious as to which of these two approaches most people take. I do it one way while my girlfriend does it the other.

#BakedHaggis #Cammysquestions
  • Eggs in at the start, before the water is heated
  • Eggs in only once the water starts to boil
  • Other (explain)
    Vote C

1010

Most Helpful Girls

• I put them in before I turn the heat on with a little vinegar to help them peel easier. Then when the water starts to boil I give them 10 minutes until they are done. They are less likely to crack and spill their insides as they do when putting a cold egg form the refridge into boiling water.

• I always make sure that my eggs come up to almost room temperature before adding them to the cold pot of water.

Most Helpful Guys

• I remember an episode of Hell's Kitchen:

Ramsay: Come on, you donkey! Is the water going to boil faster when you put in hot water or cold water first?

Contestant: *thinks about it for a few seconds* Cold water?

• I put the eggs in at the start, bring them to boil, and then put it on the lowest heat for whatever amount of time that is necessary for the desired doneness.

Keeping in, or placing eggs in boiling water almost always results in them cracking on me.