When boiling eggs, do you put the eggs in at the start or do you put them in when the water starts to boil?

Just to be clear, I know how to boil eggs. I'm just curious as to which of these two approaches most people take. I do it one way while my girlfriend does it the other.

#BakedHaggis #Cammysquestions
  • Eggs in at the start, before the water is heated
    Vote A
  • Eggs in only once the water starts to boil
    Vote B
  • Other (explain)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I put them in before I turn the heat on with a little vinegar to help them peel easier. Then when the water starts to boil I give them 10 minutes until they are done. They are less likely to crack and spill their insides as they do when putting a cold egg form the refridge into boiling water.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always make sure that my eggs come up to almost room temperature before adding them to the cold pot of water.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I remember an episode of Hell's Kitchen:

Ramsay: Come on, you donkey! Is the water going to boil faster when you put in hot water or cold water first?

Contestant: *thinks about it for a few seconds* Cold water?

0|1
    0|0
  • I put the eggs in at the start, bring them to boil, and then put it on the lowest heat for whatever amount of time that is necessary for the desired doneness.

Keeping in, or placing eggs in boiling water almost always results in them cracking on me.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• The temperature shock cracks the egg prematurely and not to mention the heat is scalding, you might burn your fingers trying to carefully place it without cracking ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • Put the eggs in first then I bring the water to a boil

0|0
    0|0
  • Add them to boiling water using a spoon. Easier to time to get peoples yolk preferences correct

0|0
    0|0
  • Eggs in at the start, before the water is heated
    But I probably should do the other way because I almost always hard boil them

0|0
    0|0
  • Put your eggs in at the start and let the water heat around them.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has been so long I don't recall. Most likely put them in before the water boils.

0|0
    0|0
  • A...

0|0
    0|0
  • Eggs in at the start, before the water is heated.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• I put the eggs in first and heat the cold water to the boiling point with the eggs already there.

I don't think it matters you just have to have the correct times figured out for each way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont boil eggs. But surely you put them into boiling water. Otherwise how can you time the cooking time?

0|0
    0|0
    • I do it from the moment the water starts boiling

• Show All
    • I usually time for 2 minutes once the water starts to boil and mine usually come out ok

• But you're right, it ultimately depends on how people like their eggs

• I put them in when the water is boiling, so I know exactly when they are soft boiled to take them out.
    Otherwise its hard to tell, when they are done and not over- or undercooked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Always pierce with a sharp pin in the blunt end of the egg to avoid it cracking.

0|0
    0|0
  • First way, the second way is a good way if you want a poached egg with shell

0|0
    0|0
  • At the start, then when it begins to boil I set a 12 minute timer.

0|0
    0|0
  • A but I don't like boiled eggs

0|0
    0|0
  • Eggs in before the water is put on the heat

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes