Some tips for making your pasta less sticky?

So, as around 0.05% of you know, I am an avid enthusiast in.. many things pasta ((yeah.. I'm kinda picky)).

But it's always kinda sticky and it has a very dry kind of feeling when I make it. I tried putting some vegetable oil in the water as it's boiling in order to counteract this but that doesn't seem to help much.

Tips?

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Oil is hydrophobic so putting it in the water won't do anything at all. It will just float on top. But putting a little on the pasta once it is out will.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You should be stirring the pasta the first two minutes, as pasta + hot water = starch, and if you don't stir it, they'll stick to each other.

You should be putting the pasta in only when the water is boiling (not close to boiling).

You should be rinsing your pasta in cold water if you don't plan on swishing them in the sauce immediately. When you're ready to eat them, heat them up again in the pan with the sauce.

Also, putting oil into the pot you're cooking pasta in is not a great move if you plan on coating them in sauce later, as the oil on the noodles make the sauce slide right off. I've been cooking pasta for years and I have gone down the oil in water route.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• When the pasta is cooked, you mix it with a little bit of olive oil (after you poured away the eater) or you can mix it with one or who spoons of the sauce.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wash the pasta with hot water after it is cooked. It gets rid of all the starch that is causing the pasta to be sticky

0|1
    0|0
  • Put half a teaspoon of butter in your pasta after it is drained

1|0
    0|0
  • My grandma told me , not to stir pasta to much , it will make it starchy

0|1
    0|0
  • Add olive oil and a small pinch of salt when boiling and dont cook as long.

0|0
    0|0
  • Add the oil and cool it for less time. Pasta and rice can get sticky if you overcook them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always put a little olive oil in after I've drained it.

0|0
    0|0
  • When u are boiling it , add 1 tbs vinegar in the water.

0|0
    0|0
    • White vinegar to be precise
      And no you won't be able to taste the vinegar in it. It will just not stick together anymore.

• Don't boil it as long, and don't crowd the pot.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• My dad always make the same mistakes. That mean it's "overcooked" and becomes to starchy the more heat applied. You should stop the boiling immediately after testing if the pasta is soft and nice enough. Take it out of the heat. If you're gonna serve it within an hour, don't take the pasta out of the water just yet because pasta drains very fast anyway.

0|1
    0|0
  • try cooking the pasta for only ten minutes and leave it in the water for another 7-10 minutes, I guess add some oil after you drain the pasta... not sure if adding salt to the water helps or it does the opposite... maybe rinse the pasta too if you are a fan of that

0|1
    0|0
    • now I read that the main trick is to use big enough pot with enough water in it so the starch/water ratio is good enough so the pasta won't stick together...
      it is in this article, also it say you should definitely add salt
      www.onegreenplanet.org/.../

• I'm not sure what your doing wrong so I'll just tell you for I make it.

Set water to boil and add a little salt and olive oil.
    Wait until the water is actually boiling to add the pasta.
    Then stir occasionally and take a piece out to check consistency.
    You want to stop cooking it as soon as it's at the right consistency because if you over cook it enough, that will also make it sticky.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always use a knob of butter, or a splash of olive oil, and toss it around once it's drained.

0|0
    0|0
  • As soon as you drain the pasta add some butter and toss the pasta to distribute the butter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dont over cook it. Rinse in cold waters

0|0
    0|0
    • Spray with WD40

• Add olive oil to the water

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes