Does the "J" shape in candy canes stand for Jesus?

Now that I think about it, is it just a random shape or is there some kind of symbolism that the candy--moreso the shape--was created for. Especially since candy canes are traditionally a Christmas holiday candy.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• It's to represent the Shepards Crook, because they were created by a choir master at a church in 1670 in Germany. However it should be noted that they started as sticks, and he changed the shape so they could be gifts to those attending the nativity pageant. This new shape became popularized and spread across the world

1|0
    0|0
  • To resemble the shepherds crooks who came to visit the baby Jesus..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_cane

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Oh okay. Yeah, I've seen a lady use candy canes that she was handing out to talk about the life of Jesus n things related.

• 4d

Jesus was the man! I like hearing about His life too.

• No but the white and red has to do with the flesh and blood of christ apparently. I actually didn't know that until I looked it up :P I had assumed it was a J so you could hang it on something.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Thought it could have been for hanging on trees too.

• 4d

The J itself wasn't mentioned but the red and white was definitely for christian reasons. So the J may well still be for hanging or something :P

• No, it’s called a candy cane... I. e it resembles the shape of a cane... candy CANE...

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Lol alright alright, I get it. The shape of a cane. Candy CANE. It's suppose to have resemblance to a C A N E. Cane cane cane. Candy to the cane. Not "ydnac enac" in reverse, not candy lane, not cocaine, but candy cane. Lol got it.

• It's a cane like those used for herding sheep

0|0
    0|0
  • Not random. It symbolizes the Shepards' crook.

0|1
    0|0
  • The J stands for jam it in my ass

1|0
    0|0
  • It stands for CANE

0|0
    0|0
  • the j shape stands for jesus

0|0
    0|0
  • no its a shepherds crook