Why does caffeine not have any effects on me?

I am young, and not a heavy coffee drinker at all, so it wouldn’t make sense that I have grown a tolerance to caffeine. In my daily life these days, I have stayed away from drinking coffee, tea, and soda just for lifestyle choices; I have lived generally pretty healthy too. I make sure to eat vegetables with every meal and I stay hydrated and get exercise.

At college, I noticed that most of my classmates get a buzz from drinking a serving of coffee or two from our school cafe. However, whenever I drink the same amount, or even more than they do, it has absolutely no effect on me. Historically, I’ve been able to chug tea and coffee before sleeping and still fall asleep and have a good night’s rest.

Why is it so? I want to feel the effects of caffeine sometimes so I can stay awake and get some more of my work done, but even after helping myself to another serving, I still find myself falling asleep on my desk. Energy drinks also have no effect on me; I don’t drink them much, maybe once every several years. Even when I drink an entire can or two though, I cannot feel any extra alertness. What’s the reason for my high tolerance to caffeine, and what are the alternatives?

I want to find something that actually works on keeping me awake. So for now, I rarely drink beverages containing caffeine; when I do, it’s usually just because it tastes good.

12