Do you like okra? Have you tried it before?

i like it homemade fried southern style.

haven't had good fried okra in a while
  • Yeah, good stuff!
  • Don’t like it
  • Never tried it
    Vote C
  • What’s okra?
    Vote D

2024

Most Helpful Guys

• It’s alright. My parents have a row of it in a garden, so I’ve had a good amount (the garden has been around for years). It’s not something I particularly enjoy, but fried okra is pretty good. There are a good amount of “southern food” places around here too that have it as side dishes.

• 13 d ago

Cool, I recall that shit stings a little bit, like the stalks and leaves just chew your arms up when you pick it.

• 13 d ago

Yessss if you pick them fresh, they can be prickly, kinda like cucumbers. You can get a towel and roll/rub off the hairs if they bother you though. My hands are sort of calloused from various things, but I wear gloves if it starts bothering me

• Yes, it's good as a variety of vegetable. They come in a can alongside the other vegetables in our local grocery store.

Most Helpful Girls

• I’ve never had it although I’ve been told it’s an acquired taste. In the past with other “acquired tastes” I’ve never liked them! I’d try it but I don’t want to buy it and dislike it

• 13 d ago

It’s got a distinctive flavor yes. I liked it as a kid right off the bat so I wouldn’t really describe it as an acquired taste. And I’m talking about fried okra.

Kind of a sulfury flavor , tastes like it smells. Kind of a musky sulfury... I don’t know what you’d call it in the uk but in Japan we’d call it an umame flavor. Kind of an earthy flavor like mushrooms or seaweed

• 12 d ago

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it lol. I’m not a fan of that smell but regardless, I eat mushrooms if I have to and I hate seaweed 😂.
      Nothing personal; I just find seaweed salty and if it’s crispy very chewy, and if it’s microwaved/pan fried it’s so slimy. I grew up on a very low sodium diet so I tend to be quite “sensitive” to salt... for me mushrooms very rarely add to a dish. It’s just a slippery lump in my dinner :/ I like them in sweet chilli sauce though!

• It might taste good if you mix it with the right foods but when I eat it - I don't like the taste.

• 11 d ago

Not fir everyone. More people are liking it here than I expected tbh.

1822
  • As long as they are young, soft and small. If they get too big you can cut them. If you don't use them right away after you cut them they become slimy. If I am going to eat them I prefer breaded and fried.

• thats the only vegetable I will eat. mixed with coconut and some apple cider vinegar

• Charlie Croker was a man in full
    Had a back as strong as a Jersey bull
    Didn't like okra, didn't like pears
    He liked a girl that had long hair

It's okay. Not my favorite food.

• I've only tried them cooked in some sort of soup. I didn't like it but fried might be different

• I've tried okra chips... it's really good and healthy :-)

• 12 d ago

Wow I have never seen okra chips

• 12 d ago

Hmmm I have a couple Trader Joe’s near me. I might try that out. I like their stuff and haven’t been in one in a while

• 12 d ago

That sounds great :-)

• I used to dice soooo much okra when i worked at this Indian restaurant. It was really good. Bhindi Masala is delicious!

• I love lady finger, just had it for lunch. I love to have it fried with onions, in salads and sometimes I add it in fish curry.

• I like okra but only really use it when I'm making gumbo. Its a traditional ingredient in the creole dish and helps to thicken its consistency.

• 8 d ago

Oh I didn’t know that was one of the reasons why... I guess the thick slimy stuff?

• 8 d ago

yup. If you saute it in a frying pan for a few minutes first, it becomes less slimy and easier to work with.

• I grew up around it but I never tried it. It didn't look good to me.

• Never tried it, but I’d love to taste it. Can’t find it in the small town in which I live.

• When I first read the title I thought it said Orka like the whale 🙈

I haven't tried okra, but it looks good in that picture.

• Fried okra is one of my favorite foods of all time.

• In India we call it lady's finger.
    I find them alright

• When I make a local version of fish stew I use canned tomatoes with okra. Can't see them once it cooks down but I know it's in there.

• Not a real big fan of it I like broccoli better especially homemade broccoli casserole

• 11 d ago

Well yeah steamed broccoli is in my top fave veggies

• 11 d ago

That's awesome and yes that's a great way to eat them It keeps all the vitamins in it by steaming them. I love good steamed vegetables

• I hate orca. I do grow it occasionally because my mom eats it.

• I hate it. I'd skip dinner when it was made :( just made a sandwich instead.

• Love it.. fried or picked

• 13 d ago

Pickled?

• 13 d ago

I assumed, I try not to be a grammar/spelling nazi cuz I’m the worst at typos and autocorrect but I just wanted to make sure what people mean.

I’ve never tried pickled before. There’s actually not much pickled stuff I like.

• 13 d ago

Ah lol I love sour stuff so that's why Iike it..

• had it, would eat it. not my top veggie choice

• Fried is the only way I'll eat okra.

• It's another good source of natural vitamins.

• Okra is quite tasty. I like it a lot.

• I never had it before, but would like to try it.

• Its gross

• love it fried

• i like it

• Never tried it

• What is that?

• 12 d ago

Vegetable plant with edible green seed pods. Common in warm / tropical climates

• GUMBO!!

• 13 d ago

I think the only time I’ve ever had okra not fried was in gumbo

• I love fried okra!

• I like it fried. 😇

• Never heard of her

• Is it good? I never tried it...

• 11 d ago

I like it but it’s kind of different

• 11 d ago

Don’t mess with the canned stuff. The ranch 99 in Seattle has it and they have frozen ones too. I’ve never tried the frozen ones. Stick with fresh if they’ve got it

• 11 d ago

Okay I will thank you 😁

• Yea its good

• What’s okra?

• What’s okra?

• It’s kinda slimy when you cook it but it’s good

• 12 d ago

I’ve slways heard that but I’ve only ever had it fried and it definitely wasn’t even a bit slimy.

Had it in gumbo too but you can’t tell slimy in that.

• Send me your resume

• l use it when l make Lamb curry its very nice

• 12 d ago

Huh, mr kilt making curry with okra. That’s a puzzle I’d never have expected

• 12 d ago

Well l am a very unique kind of guy its 3.40am in Scotland and l have made a very nice Lamb curry for dinner on Monday l put the Okra in the curry near the end of cooking maybe l am a puzzle LOL

• I never taste before but really love to try