Do you dislike Thanksgiving because dry turkey is so difficult to swallow?

If the continuity of the species depended on my mother roasting a turkey and having it be moist and delicious, we would all certainly be dead! As a child, I hated the Thanksgiving meal because my mom was so afraid of serving an undercooked turkey that she always overcooked the turkey. It was so dry and tasteless. . . and complaining about it got me nowhere.

When I started learning to cook, I avoided cooking the Thanksgiving meal for many years because I didn't want to cook anything as badly as what my mom had prepared in my childhood. Then I discovered three things:

1. Always use a meat thermometer to test for doneness.

2. Don't stuff the turkey because it makes various parts of the turkey cook at different rates; the breast may not be done when the thighs are clearly done.

3. Don't assume that you know how to roast a turkey because you once watched someone else do it. I looked for different methods and found one that ALWAYS produces good results.

Roasting a Turkey the Right Way: Beautiful, Moist, and Delicious!

Are you looking forward to the Thanksgiving turkey this year?
17
36