How to React to Girls on Their Periods

Girls On Periods, The Pain Days

So, I just wanted to do a little chat about how I feel about girls, women or whatever you would like to address them as and their periods.

Typically from past experiences I have found the following behaviours when a girl is on her period:

Depressed/ upset

Craving/ really hungry

Do actually want chocolate a lot

Seem to want hugs more often

Show obvious signs of pain like flinches and twitching

Lower sense of humour, this is most likely due to the fact they are focused on the pain

Much more emotionally fragile in general

But this thing where guys seem to think that when a girl is on her period means she will immediately be bitchy or angry as fuck is actually something I have NEVER come across!

I think that this is something which I should tell guys or girls who think this a common thing but it isn't a 100% accurate behaviour, sure some girls may get grouchy when on their periods but can you blame them? Instead of legging it and hiding from them or saying they are being moody, try and comfort them and make their shitty day be at least a little bit better.

Most of the time I find that the girls I know in my current educational area will be snacking on things like galaxy bars, bountys and hugging themselves like in this photo, when I see this I most commonly give a bit of humour to make them smile and hug them but occasionally, SOMETIMES, I will surprise them if I know one day ahead that it has started I will buy them a lot of chocolate for the next day at college so they have the stuff they need and I always make sure I buy one of each so that there is no lack of interest in a certain one.

If a girl is showing signs like this photo, don't just walk away or avoid her. Go sit with her and let her talk with you, ask her about how bad it has been recently, recommend things you think might help, I usually recommend hot water bottles and hot bean bags wrapped in a thin towel.

I understand that some people think, "Oh, they're on their period, better leave them to it as they don't want me invading their privacy" But you aren't invading privacy if you siply ask how they are feeling and if they want you to cover for a practical task the teacher asked her to do, just offer to do it for her and it's just a act of kindness <3

And, girls, this part is for you.

You don't have to keep this pain to yourself, if you are hurt then it's okay to talk with a friend about it and at least share your pain with someone instead of keeping it all balled up and making yourself into a emotional mess.

I understand some girls don't want to share but to those out there who feel like they aren't allowed or that the topic just shouldn't be mentioned, don't be afraid to talk with a friend about it and just let them hear you out about how it's going.

5631

Most Helpful Girl

• This is by far the very best MyTake I have ever seen on here dealing with this subject, and for it to be put together in such a well thought out, caring and understanding way by a guy is even more remarkable.
    Well done and huge amounts of kudos to you.

• OMG!!!

This comment has to be the best so farr!!!

I am feeling really loved by this comment thank you soooooo much!!!

And to be told that you believe it is the best? I find that to be over exaggerating right?
      There are a lot of mytakes, I doubt mine can be the best ^_^

But really, Thank you soo much <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 exactly 17 hearts, as same as my age :d exactly="" 17="" hearts,="" as="" same="" as="" my="" age="" :d="">

• Thank you for the MHO.

• not a problem ;)

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 55

• .. all true.
    However, it's important that guys also draw the line somewhere and not let girls act like complete bitches on a regular basis because they're pmsing. I've seen it plenty of times and it's horrible how much some guys will let their girlfriends get away with every month (ie. yelling, name-calling, etc..).

• Yeahhh... but girls want us to respect that they are on their PMS so I just think of it like this

"She is only like this at the moment because she is on her period, she doesn't actually mean what she is saying and if she weren't on her period she wouldn't say this stuff*

Additionally, I am a rather forgiving person so even if I was forced to draw the line, I would still be very forgiving :/

• that's what I was convinced of when I first started dating my current boyfriend, too. That I was 'allowed' to act like a complete bitch and treat him like shit on a monthly basis because.. well, because that's what all of my friends told me they did. So I just kind of accepted it as the 'norm'. Which in no way makes it okay for all seemingly adult women to act like children because of bodily changes that occur to help them be able to HAVE children of their own.

My boyfriend pretty much just told me to stop acting like a bitch because nothing justifies such mistreatment. Surprise surprise- my PMS basically vanished within a month or two.

• Lovely take, maybe it helps others understand, thanks for it ❤
    Little difference for me is I don't like chocolate so much, actually it makes it worse...
    I like to have my fav fruits and fruit snacks 🍈🍇🍉🍓🍊
    Being talked to and understood is nice too, sometimes though I really want to stay alone, need space

• guys have hormonal fluctuations and they are frequent- just no blood. some want understanding some ant emotional support some want to be left alone some want sex or physical contact some become argumenttive, some become violent --how to handle it really depends on the person,

• I don't know when I get mine then, I always want affection and physical contact *Hugs, not sex* and generally I can sometimes/ very often get emotionally unstable, not aggressive just I change from happy/ confused/ salty/ depressed and sometimes a mix of both.

• Excellent take! A little understanding and kindness definitely goes a long way. My ex was a complete asshole to me when I was on my period. I would never get angry, but occasionally get emotional and have bad migraines. I used to try and keep my emotions and feelings to myself, because he would get angry at me for just expressing them.

Its great to see there are guy's who genuinely care :)

• Aww! I hope you don't have contact with him, I don't want to sound like a dick but he sounds like someone who you shouldn't associate with if that's how he behaved during your periods :(

• Thanks, I don't have contact with him anymore and I am honestly much happier now. I think some guys just lack the ability to show empathy.

• Oh my gosh I was pretty happy about this already because I was like "Yeah, guys should know this stuff!" AND THEN I SAW A GUY WROTE IT AND THAT MADE ME HAPPY. Honestly, period symptoms and how girls deal with them differ for individuals, so if your girlfriend or simply girl friend wants space and doesn't want it brought up, then respect that. Some girls, though, like my best friend, keeps her boyfriend updated on her periods and how she's feeling so he can help her through them. Personally, I'd rather not discuss my period with guys, but if someone was really nice to me while I was on it, that would be very much appreciated 😂

• Ohh Thank you ^_^
      I personally have never had a relationship and am still waiting for first kiss but I do respect when they don't want to talk about the subject :)

It's a mandatory thing really, if you don't want to talk about something, don't bug them about it and thank you so much for the comment! it means a lot to me to read all the opinions! I only just came on and was shocked to see 133 opinions! thank you soo much!

• You will make a fine husband one day. I had a boyfriend at age 18 and one day I told him I was on my period, he said okay don't bother to come, see you when it's done.

I wanted him to say, so? do you want to be left alone or do you want to still come see me? Instead I felt like he was scorning me and that's when I saw how he truly felt about me.

As seen in some comments, there are women who are like the women in the pad commercials, skipping and swimming on their period. I don't know why they are so lucky, but if they are telling the truth, it seems not all of us have such bad cycles.

But for those of us who do, we dread those 5 to 7 days. I used to worry so much until I just learned to deal with it. I also hear it's a condition and seeing a doctor can help to regulate it.

• Thank you and I guess I have a while to wait though XD

I do have a lot to complain about on the pads adverts but if I do that here we'll be on it all day so I'll just say I don't agree with the way they advertise it :/

• I guess hey think they should advertise with a pleasant vibe, but I don't think too many girls are that happy when they're on it.

• My period definitely does impact my mood and behavior. But any girl who acts truly mean or rude and blames her period is probably just making excuses. If her mood swings are that uncontrollable then she has issues and needs to see a doctor.

• Well, I have yet to see a girl who is like that and I know if a girl is bullshitting about her periods as she will not be showing those signs later and won't be showing signs of pain or will literally just be super angry and that's just a bitchy girl :/

• You can’t necessarily tell when a girl is on her period. Symptoms can come and go, plus different girls get a different variety of symptoms and have different levels of pain tolerance. She might be good at hiding her pain, or she might get more swings without the cramps. I’m actually moodiest right before my period, when I don’t have any cramps yet. Just because a girl doesn’t seem to be in pain does NOT mean that she is lying about being on her period or having PMS. That said, I’m glad you haven’t encountered the type of girl who acts horrible and blames her period. That nonsense reflects poorly on all girls.

• Definitely I am focused on the pain, I wish I could focus it out because the pain spreads to my lower back since I had a miscarriage a few years ago, although I try to also focus on not taking my hubs head off in the process

• I love you you're so nice and decent can I marry you? Aww thanks so much for telling it like it is I really appreciate it. Other guys have stuff to learn from you :) x

My partner calls it disgusting and upsets me when I'm menstruating. I can't talk to him about it either.

Personally I don't get extremely emotional on my period either. I just get extremely tired, crave steak and orange juice, and get sudden extreme period contractions that make me scream out loud. Also I have a connective tissue disorder so I have an extra painful back on my period due to the hips parting slightly when you menstruate.

• OW!!!
      I'm sure if you met me face to face you wouldn't want to marry me, I wouldn't have all the traits your after in a guy XD

But thank you for the offer ;*

The boyfriend / Partner sounds like a jerk/ uncomfortable with something that really isn't that big of a deal to talk about

• Everyone is different. I get a tiny bit annoyed because periods are annoying, but that's pretty much it. Mine are only painful for moments. I don't get cravings, I don't have a lower sense of humor, and I don't feel like I want hugs, actually I feel like I don't want to be touched or around others. I just feel like being lazy in my room alone. I also don't crave chocolate any more than when I'm not on it.

• The chocolate thing isn't true for me. I don't crave it. I rarely get cramps although the bloating makes me miserable. I get super horny. I do sometimes feel like I want to be left alone but I do want to cuddle and be loved on. Its nice to have someone get it and understand. I know a lot of women who have a lot of pain and suffering though. I am one of the lucky ones.

• Haven't heard of the bloating before :) I'll remember that for future considerations ^_^

• Yes. A lot of women bloat in the belly area and also their breasts get sore and swollen as well..

• Huh..
      We never get told about those things, do you know why you get sore breasts?

• No need to be afraid when that time of the month rolls around. Just cuddle with me until I feel better.

• Nice take

• I can have many feelings during 😤 😪 🤬 😩 🤪🤮

• Nice take! I'm the complete opposite of myself when it's that time. Normally, I'm a pretty lazy person. But when it's time, I'm over here doing all sorts of productive things, thinking about the future, planning things, etc. Also, I noticed that I get very anxious when I'm on it.

Tip for dealing with a chick on her period: Give her good food, space, and just don't be a dick when it comes to her period

• I've never needed anyone to really react to my being on my period. I rarely even mention it.

• on my period, i dont wanna be alone or the center of attention. i want to be around certain people (aka people who i know won't intentionally piss me off) and be in a quiet area to not make my head hurt

while chocolate seems to be a nice thing cuz of the taste, it can worsen cramps and other pains because of the caffeine and sugars it contains

• Makes sense :)
      So,
      People who are considerate and won't be intentionally annoying
      Relatively quiet area for peace and avoid headaches
      Chocolate in moderation due to high level of caffeine/ sugars that can worsen symptoms

• Correct

But, not all girls are the same. Some want constant attention and junkfood cuz they want to be distracted from their cramps, others would rather suffer in silence and eat minimal to not possibly worsen the pain

• Good Take :)

• I only suffer physical pain from cramps, sometimes pain is so big i faint or vomit.
    It never affects my emotional state or my mood or food preferences.
    Every person is different.

• For me I always have terrible cramps so I would be happy if someone just waited with me

• ^_^
      I gave my friend a surprise today cos she came in and I told her to close her eyes and I had got her 6 different types of chocolate as a certainty that she would like at least one and she was so hyped she hugged me for like, forever! <3

Bounty
      Mars
      Twix
      Galaxy
      Snickers
      Kitkat

• that's cute, stay this way!

• More from Girls
    35

What Guys Said 30

• A recipe for treating a girl with bad period symptoms.

She thinks she wants chocolate. But what her body really needs is this:

- Eggs for breakfast. Easy on the cheese and sausage. Mushrooms highly recommended.

- Rotisserie chicken for lunch, with sunflower seeds. Serve with spinach and brown rice for added benefit.

- If on a busy day and burning a lot of calories and still hungry, raw broccoli for snacking. Also, have some celery with peanut butter. A few brazil nuts will seal the deal.

- 1 banana a day

- Salmon, potatoes, and garden asparagus for dinner.

I know this sounds stringent, but a diet of this will treat the one thing most critical to overcoming a lot of period symptoms: lack of selenium.

While men don't get periods, a lack of selenium (and potassium) in the diet will quickly cause men tons of other problems. Achy muscles and joints being the least of these problems.

Minerals can be great. But if you don't mind how much (or how little) of them are in you, the presence or absence of them can just about kill you. (Or make you wish you were dead.)

• I’m just going to walk away...

• www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/.../...r-periods.png

Ladies,

Clean the genetial area
    Get yourself a comfortable private place
    Use 2–3 towels above the bedsheet
    Remove pad and cloths from the area
    Take a nap or just chill
    After the session clean yourself and also the towels
    Every woman should spend some time without clumsy pads so that the genetial area can get some air. This is the process of FREE BLEEDING !

Enjoy periods !

Hope it Helps.

• I thought being a guy was hard... Guess not! Salute all the girls out there.

• That's what kinda guy we lookin for!
      Respect my man, act like that with girls and you might get a girlfriend, if you don't already have one ^_^

• Hope your words come true!

• My advice is be mature about it. Treat it as no big deal. Always have an Advil ready to go in case a friend or a girlfriend needs one.

Last week, I had a date planned with a girl. She called the day before to cancel because she was on her period. I told her it was no big deal and that we could hang out without having sex. I told her that I didn't need sex to enjoy my time with her. So we had a date night and got to know each other. Then she invited me to her place and she started touching me... long story short... we had sex... on her period.

It was nice.

Treat a woman well on her period. Be kind and sweet. And she will reward you infinitely.

• When I was married I tried to be extra sensitive to her. Cooking, extra cuddling and what ever she wanted. Oddest thing was she would want sex. I always thought that would bother her more. She said it would help with the cramps and make her period pass faster. The blood never bothered me, it just reminded me of our first time. (We were both virgins.) And I think she enjoyed it also.

• Very informative!

• Thank you. I've helped out a few friends like that.

• I am remember those times! With my ex, she was a fighting panda. We had nicknames. We never said our real names. Really. Me-squirrely. Her-panda.

• interesting thread

• I'm nicer and understanding then.

• great take bud👍

• Why should I care? Do you know how difficult it is to impress women nowadays?

Mission impossible!

• Interesting

• thanks for educating us

• Never experienced any issues with this (at least to my knowledge) until my Daughter hit that age. Holy flipin dagger eyes. Ever watch Katie Kaboom?

• You forgot "Maintain a great distance".

• Thnx for sharing this

• nice take fam

• More from Guys
    10